"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #25161
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Grumble. You California girls. We have a few more months before even thinking about tomato planting!

As far as hornworms, I just pull them off and stomp on them. They're hard to spot, so vigilance is needed. Best to get them while they're small. Sometimes I can get to the eggs. The adult moths are cool, they look like hummingbirds.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #25162
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Grumble. You California girls. We have a few more months before even thinking about tomato planting!

As far as hornworms, I just pull them off and stomp on them. They're hard to spot, so vigilance is needed. Best to get them while they're small. Sometimes I can get to the eggs. The adult moths are cool, they look like hummingbirds.
I don't have the stomach to stomp on them and have their guts stuck to my shoe. They are masters of disguise, aren't they? There's been many times I've seen chomped leaves, looked and looked, only to find one right in front of my eyes. The moths ARE cool looking - they're so huge.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #25163
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I heard of a "natural" way to keep bugs off plants. It was on a Canadian gardening show. You take the bugs, with a few of the leaves. You put them in the blender with some water. Then you strain the liquid and use that as bug spray. The insects will give off pheromones that let other bugs know that it's dangerous. Yeah, kinda gross, but supposedly it works well.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:48 PM   #25164
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Bacillus thuringus is a caterpillar-cide. It's a naturally occuring fungus that's lethal to caterpillars, but not to anything else. It's mixed with water and sprayed on.

Since I only plant a few tomatoes, I prefer the inspect-pull-stomp method. I wear plastic garden sandals that are easily rinsed.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #25165
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I heard of a "natural" way to keep bugs off plants. It was on a Canadian gardening show. You take the bugs, with a few of the leaves. You put them in the blender with some water. Then you strain the liquid and use that as bug spray. The insects will give off pheromones that let other bugs know that it's dangerous. Yeah, kinda gross, but supposedly it works well.
I'd be willing to try that Taxi if I can use your blender.

For some reason, the SC and I have never seen Hornworms or any damage from them.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:17 PM   #25166
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

For some reason, the SC and I have never seen Hornworms or any damage from them.
Whoa, are you ever lucky, Kay! I wonder why that is? If I don't keep up on watching for those nasty critters, they would eat my tomato plants down to nothing.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:30 PM   #25167
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

The host of that show said not to tell your spouse what the blender had been used for.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:33 PM   #25168
Master Chef

I'm finishing up the last of my supper while listening to the basketball game. When the food is gone, I can move on to the York peppermint patty minis I bought while running errands today. After Andy and msmofet brought them up in my "Spice Problem" thread, I've had a taste for them. Yorks bought, problem solved!
Old 02-22-2016, 08:34 PM   #25169
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

The host of that show said not to tell your spouse what the blender had been used for.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:21 AM   #25170
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
What do you use for keeping those nasty hornworms away? I usually just watch for them every couple of days and when I see one, I cut off the leaf it's on and throw it in the yard for the birds.
I just don't have the answer why but, we've never seen those things on our tomato plants. I remember seeing those nasty worms on my grandparents plants when I was a kid here in this town. I wonder if it could have something to do with our plants being so close to the navel orange tree?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote