"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-01-2016, 09:38 PM   #25181
Senior Cook

Dog Day Afternoon

I fly for an organization called Pilots & Paws, who fly rescue animals to a new forever home.
I saw a post on their website looking for someone to fly a Brittany Spaniel from Phoenix to Santa Barbara ,CA. My son lives about half way between, near Palm Springs, so I asked if someone could fly the dog from Phoenix to Palm Springs, so we could fly the dog the rest of the way.
I got a response from another pilot, and we made all the arrangements. We left our little home airport in Santa Paula and my copilot Jim and I flew to Palm Springs to meet my son.
We had lunch together, and as we arrived back at the airport, the other pilot landed and taxied in. We got the dog from him, contacted the receiving party in Santa Barbara, and told them we were on our way.We learned that the dog originally came from a hoarding situation in New Mexico. What a beautiful, loving dog.
The flight back toward Santa Barbara was uneventful, but as we neared the coast, we could see the thick fog bank at the shore. A quick call to the weather bureau confirmed that the Santa Barbara airport was socked in.
We then landed at our home airport in Santa Paula, which was about 45 miles from Santa Barbara, and called the awaiting parents of their dog in our back seat. We arranged to drive the dog to a meeting place half way, and their son programmed her cellphone with the directions.
We walked the dog along the sidewalk, and soon a car pulled up and flashed its lights. The couple got out, and were absolutely thrilled with the first look at their new dog. In fact, the lady was wearing a t-shirt with a picture of a Brittany Spaniel on it.
It was the best of a dog day afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quinn2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	24390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Quinn1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	24391  

Old 03-01-2016, 09:44 PM   #25182
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

That's so sweet, Souschef! And what a nice dog!

Old 03-01-2016, 09:52 PM   #25183
Master Chef

Wonderful story SC....so glad to hear everyone arrived safely and the beautiful dog is with family. Happy to hear you got a visit with you son, too!
Old 03-01-2016, 09:55 PM   #25184
Chef Extraordinaire

What a terrific day you had Glad it all worked out.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:48 PM   #25185
Senior Cook

Dog day afternoon part 2

I just got this picture from the new owner of our rescue dog. Talk about settling in! Good digs for our friend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1550.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	24393   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1548.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	24394  

Old 03-01-2016, 11:01 PM   #25186
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Obviously a lap and lawn dog!
Old 03-01-2016, 11:42 PM   #25187
Certified Cake Maniac

Wow, Souschef, that pooch is set for life! Well done!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:31 AM   #25188
Master Chef

Souschef, you are a real hero to both man and beast. It sounds like all involved had a very happy day. Well done, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
...Enjoy your slick, tall ride! I my Ford Escape Hybrid.
I've named my loaner! He's "Sam", and is he a nice hunk of...metal. When we were out looking before we bought Sally, I had wanted a higher profile vehicle - similar to my van, but not a Mom-Mobile. The 2012 Escape we drove felt kinda "trucky" to me. The Subaru Outback? or Forester? was too hard to sit in, no less try to ride in. I didn't even take that out. Then we saw the Sonata and Himself was smitten. My car, but ended up being his choice. Don't get me wrong, it's a comfy ride and she's just plain fun to drive, but I miss the height advantage and, at time, the cargo room. Wish we had money to blow, but we're pretty careful since we're now on retirement monies and relatively healthy and young. I think we're going out tomorrow, well today, for a little ride to someplace, maybe an early supper out. I'm hoping really hard than Himself falls in love with it, too. IF we get this MA house on the market we should be able to sell it for a nice profit, then turn around and buy an OH house at least at nice for a lot less money. It's time we made up for the huge hit we took moving this way in 2000. Whenif we get back to OH, he can sell his Milan, take Sally, and I'll get a Hyundai SUV. Hoping they get their loaner Tucson in before my car is fixed, since the service adviser told me she would call and ask if we want to switch it out for the Santa Fe. But...this one fits nicely in the garage. We'll see.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:02 AM   #25189
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I just got this picture from the new owner of our rescue dog. Talk about settling in! Good digs for our friend.
What a very nice way to spend the day. Yup, you are a Hero!
Old 03-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #25190
Certified Pretend Chef

Souschef, bravo to you for all you do for our best friends.