"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #25191
Honey Badger

Having a cup of coffee before I start packing.
Will be gone a few days...again! Just hope this trip will be much better than the last one.
Does it show I'm a homebody?

This time were taking the Roku box with us. Every place we've stayed at the last few trips we've been stuck watching marathon cooking shows on Food Network. A little bit of Diner's Drive In's and Dives goes a long way.

I really don't ever want to be waken at 2 am by some cobwebbed eyes women having an all out barroom brawl. The Real show Real House Wives Of Beverly hills, I think it was. Either way they looked freakish.Thought I was having a nightmare. Seriously go home and sleep it off. Stop rolling the cameras!

This is going to be interesting.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:15 PM   #25192
Master Chef

Have a good trip, Munky! Let us know how it went when you get back.
I've never watched any of those 'Real Housewives of wherever' shows, and yes, Food Network does get old after a while...

Old 03-03-2016, 08:34 AM   #25193
Master Chef

Making peanut butter!

I have been thinking about buying a food processor for a long, long time and I thought I had settled on a very basic little Cuisinart Mini-Prep Plus 4-Cup Food Processor. I figured that the mini-prep would be good for me because all I want it for is making peanut butter and minced ham or chicken salad spreads, anything else it can do would be a bonus. I was all set to run out and buy one this morning when I decided to give peanut butter making a try in my ancient Osterizer blender. I heated a cup of roasted peanuts in the microwave, tossed them in the blender, hit the button labeled grind, added a drizzle of canola oil, a dash of salt and hit the button labeled whip. In less than a minute I had about a 1/2 cup of nice smooth/gritty natural style peanut butter that even Tim and Richard Smucker would be proud of! The food processor is on hold, again until I give ham salad a try in the old blender!
Old 03-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #25194
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Just got off the phone with DH. He's in Florida on a "business meeting". Their plane was delayed, and they didn't get there till after 11 last night, then they were up till after 3am after they found a bar. I offered no sympathy. I did laugh.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:12 PM   #25195
Master Chef

Aww, poor DH, Dawg...(snicker...)

AB, I love ham salad (spread) and use my blender for it all the time - it works great. I just chop the ham in cubes, drop in the blender and pulse it. Need to keep an eye on it though, it can lose it's texture in the blender and turn to paste pretty quick. I like some texture in it.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #25196
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post

AB, I love ham salad (spread) and use my blender for it all the time - it works great. I just chop the ham in cubes, drop in the blender and pulse it. Need to keep an eye on it though, it can lose it's texture in the blender and turn to paste pretty quick. I like some texture in it.
Thanks for the tips!

I will give it a whirl with a piece of the Easter ham, it won't be long now!
Old 03-03-2016, 07:15 PM   #25197
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post

I love ham salad and never think about it. I can remember my mom making it with a hand crank grinder attached to the kitchen table. She ground up Planters peanuts in hers.

Another one she made was ground Spam, onions and longhorn, ground then broiled on burger buns in the old gas stove. I want to do that one of these days.

I use the Kitchen Aid grinder now days.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #25198
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Bushrod View Post
I love ham salad and never think about it. I can remember my mom making it with a hand crank grinder attached to the kitchen table. She ground up Planters peanuts in hers.

Another one she made was ground Spam, onions and longhorn, ground then broiled on burger buns in the old gas stove. I want to do that one of these days.

We used to use the silver meat grinder to make ham salad too. I thought about getting one at the flea market but I looked around my kitchen and I don't have a suitable location to clamp it down, progress.

It took a special plate to make the peanut butter.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:23 PM   #25199
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Thanks for the tips!

I will give it a whirl with a piece of the Easter ham, it won't be long now!
You're welcome, AB! Yep, I'll be getting a ham soon too....I love it, and so many ways to use the leftovers!

I meant to say earlier, I'm glad you had such success with your peanut butter. Sounds really good.

Lance....those 'spamburgers' sound good!
Old 03-03-2016, 10:30 PM   #25200
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Bushrod View Post

Hmm. I just froze some leftover low fat Spam that I fried, then glazed with maple syrup and cubed. Bet that would make some killer ham/spam salad! Thanks for the idea, Lance!