"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-08-2016, 02:39 AM   #25211
Master Chef

I'm finishing up with my "alcohol rubdown" (glass of wine), and then I'm heading to an early bed. Early for me, that is, because I'm beat. Why? I got bit by the spring cleaning bug! My house is a little like those historical ones you can visit that have public viewing rooms on the first floor, but the second floor is closed off to visitors. Well, my "public" first floor is usually clean enough and my kitchen is pretty close to inspector-approved clean, but a couple infrequently visited rooms upstairs have measurable dust on the furniture. Hoping to get everything back down to shiny wood and clean dresser scarves. Heaven forbid if either of us has to call EMS to treat the other.

I have absolutely no idea where my recent energy has come from, and don't know why all of a sudden my hip isn't pinching nor my feet hurting, but I am enjoying every nanosecond of this! Maybe I can get the entire house cleaned before I conk out - fingers crossed.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #25212
Master Chef

CG, first of all, glad to hear you're feeling better! I know what you mean about the 'spring cleaning' bug, it's hit me too! Usually happens this time of year. This morning I ran the vacuum through my grandsons' playroom, dusted all the shelves that hold their toys and books, and swiffered the ceiling fan and blinds. I'll have Tyler help put everything back on the shelves when he gets here after school, he loves to help.

It's a beautiful day today, so I took my laptop out on the patio along with the grocery store sale papers - making a shopping list, and paying some bills online. Great deals at the grocery this week - asparagus .79/lb , bone in pork chops .89/lb, eggs $3 for an 18 pack, chicken thighs .79/lb...love the deals.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:39 PM   #25213
Head Chef

Thumbs up

CG - glad to read you have a sudden spurt of energy. I know how that feels - to be suddenly free of the usual restrictions. I wish we knew why it suddenly released us like that! I still have no clue!
Old 03-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #25214
Sous Chef

I'm sitting here trying to decide what to do. I have some free time and I suppose I could read or put together a puzzle online or watch a movie. Tomorrow we're supposed to get about an inch and a half of rain. Guess what day shopping day is? I'd go today, but the new sales don't come out until tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:21 PM   #25215
Senior Cook

Angel Flight

We flew an Angel Flight mission from Santa Monica to Santa Barbara. The patient had just gotten a liver transplant and looked very good.
The exciting part was the strong winds, but fortunately, the winds were right down the runway.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:25 AM   #25216
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
We flew an Angel Flight mission from Santa Monica to Santa Barbara. The patient had just gotten a liver transplant and looked very good.
The exciting part was the strong winds, but fortunately, the winds were right down the runway.
Once again, thank you for taking care of "our" patients. I work with an Air Link nurse, she moonlights in the nursing home, and she is always praising her volunteer pilots.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #25217
Honey Badger

I'm back in a way..Miss me?

Were waiting to hear from the hospital to try and get my husband in for an Angioplasty either today or tomorrow. They couldn't find a Dr to do it last night. He's been feeling heaviness on his chest for a few weeks. His EKG has changed from the last one. Things are not right. They call it Bundle Branch Block.

More tests and and a longer trip away will be happening soon.

He's to be kept stress free and in bed. You can call me Nurse Mean Munky. I'm not playing around.
The poor guy can't move without my knowing about it.

I just wish they would hurry up.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:40 PM   #25218
Master Chef

Oh Munky, this all must be very worrisome for you both. I hope the doctor gets back to you really quick, and that he and the hospital staff are able to unbundle those branches and get DH all straightened out. And you have to be kind to him no stress, remember?

Adding you and your DH to my prayer list, which keeps getting longer, and longer, an.....
Old 03-10-2016, 02:48 PM   #25219
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh geez, Munky. Hope things turn out OK!
Old 03-10-2016, 04:12 PM   #25220
Master Chef

I'm keeping an eye on a poor, little purple finch that flew into my sunroom window. The feeders are close enough to the house that the birds can't get any steam up, so they usually don't feel any effect. This one, though, must have knocked himself good. At first I thought he was dead, laying perfectly still on his side. Then he got himself all righted up, tucked up like he's thinking of taking off soon - and there he sits. I scattered a small bit of thistle seeds, along with a tiny bit of the mixed seed blend at his feet, in case he wants a nibble before he takes off. So far he's managed to huddle himself under the birdbath, using it like an umbrella, since it's sprinkling a bit. He looked perfectly alert when I was out talking to him, so I guess he should be taking flight soon. I hope he lifts off before the evil in-and-out cat from my equally evil neighbor comes out on the prowl.

I keep meaning to get those black birds-of-prey clings for the windows to scare birds away, but the birdy store near us sells them for $5 each! If I bought one for each window that a bird has banged into, I would have to skip buying bird seed for about 3-4 months. Anyone have a suggestion for a cheaper idea? I'm moderately crafty when me doing it is much cheaper that buying already made.