"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-10-2016, 10:58 PM   #25231
Certified Pretend Chef

I feel your pain.

I've been having recurring problems with my battery going dead. Two different mechanics, including a Honda dealer, assured me they had found the problem and it was fixed. Please pay the cashier on your way out. My car sits with a dead battery still and I have little time to get it back to the Honda dealer to give them another shot at it. My schedule has been so busy with SO's medical appointments I haven't taken it back again.

Fortunately we have SO's car as a backup.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:08 PM   #25232
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My mechanic was puzzled, and thought it might have been the iPhone charger. I've unplugged that. Then it was a bad battery, which we swapped out. Then he told me I wasn't driving it enough. I've always been able to leave it for several days without driving it. Not sure what's going on.

Hm. Mine is a Honda too.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:12 PM   #25233
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
My mechanic was puzzled, and thought it might have been the iPhone charger. I've unplugged that. Then it was a bad battery, which we swapped out. Then he told me I wasn't driving it enough. I've always been able to leave it for several days without driving it. Not sure what's going on.

Hm. Mine is a Honda too.
I had an aftermarket remote starter installed when I bought the car. Honda told me that was draining the battery so they pulled the fuses and checked again - no drain, the problem was fixed. Sadly, not so.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:31 PM   #25234
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I had an aftermarket remote starter installed when I bought the car. Honda told me that was draining the battery so they pulled the fuses and checked again - no drain, the problem was fixed. Sadly, not so.

I'm about ready to tear my hair out. The portable jumpstarter works fantastically though, I'm glad I got it. Thankfully, DH's ancient Jeep, despite all of its other issues, still starts, even after sitting for 2 weeks in sub-zero temps.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:40 PM   #25235
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
You two should find a Honda owners' forum and ask if other people have had the problem and what did they do. Of course, do a search first. I have gotten loads of good advice on the Brickboard, Volvo owners' forum.

Edit: when I wrote "search first", I meant to search the forum first.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:45 PM   #25236
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Not a bad idea, Taxy.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:48 PM   #25237
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Car owner forums are also a good way to find out about things that the company will fix for free because it's a "known problem" and maybe someone sued them about it. Lots of times the dealerships don't want you to know that, so they won't tell you.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:04 AM   #25238
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
...Then he told me I wasn't driving it enough. I've always been able to leave it for several days without driving it...
Sounds like a bulltwinkies excuse to me, Dawg. When Himself and I visited the kids over Christmas, his 2008 Mercury Milan sat in the garage for 2 1/2 weeks, and probably didn't get started for well over a month. It's not like it's a new battery either. In fact, I think this is only the second battery he's had in the car, including the original.

Taxy, you've got some good suggestions. I think there is something funky about those Hondas and the battery drainage.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:11 AM   #25239
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Agree, CG. My mom's cars had sat, undriven, in her garage for at least 2 years, and both started up right away when I went back after she died. No, I didn't leave her for 2 years, she'd just quit driving.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:15 PM   #25240
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I just had my beautician, DH, whack off 4 inches of my hair with my sewing scissors. It was down past my waist. Next step, Garnier Nutriesse hair dye!