"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-30-2016, 07:58 PM   #25331
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Wow, snow! ❄ We had 62F and bright sun ☀ I worked on stenciling the beehives today.
Been sitting here watching the snow slide off the roof of the house next door Easily entertained.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:38 AM   #25332
Assistant Cook

Quite a nice day after a cold start. We're working in the garden preparing the ground to plant potatoes. Then it will be time to feed the pigs, and make dinner. Tonight it's lamb chops with cous-cous and roast vegetables.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:03 AM   #25333
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Addie....for as few dishes as you say you use, a bottle of Dawn is MUCH cheaper than buying 6 months worth of paper plates and paper bowls....just sayin'. Not to mention the store brand dishwashing liquid you can find at your Market Basket that is less expensive than Dawn. But I'm glad you found something that works for you.
It is more than just saving on the Dawn. Every item I ordered was tax free. And they cost a lot less than what I would have paid at my supermarket along with better quality. At my supermarket, I usually buy the house brand on the paper products. I also bought the soap pods for laundry. And I bought a bigger container and better product than I usually buy and at a lesser price than I pay for my usual.

So for me, I think Jet.com is definitely a savings. I have four monthly bills and after that is done with, I am left with a little over $200.00 to last me for the month. Out of that $200. I have to pay cash for taxable items plus the sales tax. Everything I purchased was a taxable item.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:02 PM   #25334
Master Chef

I absolutely agree with you that jet.com has some fabulous deals, Addie! I'm just getting ready to place an order.

---------------
Been busy working in the yard AGAIN today. I got sidetracked though, and decided the sliding glass door to the patio needed washing...that led to more window washing...not my favorite job but needs to be done. Taking a little snack break for now.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:20 PM   #25335
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I absolutely agree with you that jet.com has some fabulous deals, Addie! I'm just getting ready to place an order.

---------------
Been busy working in the yard AGAIN today. I got sidetracked though, and decided the sliding glass door to the patio needed washing...that led to more window washing...not my favorite job but needs to be done. Taking a little snack break for now.
I placed my order yesterday afternoon and when I got back from the doctor's. there was this huge box in the lobby with my name on it. I still have four more items that are coming separately. I put the box on my scooter and brought it upstairs. I couldn't get it through my door while it was on the scooter, so I walked it in. Good Grief! That box was heavy. It is three feet long and one foot high. And it packed to the very fullest.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:45 AM   #25336
Master Chef

Drinking coffee and checking the grocery flyers.

I don't really need much, my little freezer compartment is crammed to the brim with various odds and ends.

I think for the next two weeks I will focus on inventory reduction, just buy a few "go with" items and fresh produce.

It will be tough for me to pass up the weekly specials.

Take a deep breath and repeat after me! "Two elephants for a quarter is only a great deal, if you need two elephants!"
Old 04-02-2016, 08:30 AM   #25337
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Take a deep breath and repeat after me! "Two elephants for a quarter is only a great deal, if you need two elephants!"
LOL!!!

Me? I'm drinking water and getting ready to go to bed.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:04 PM   #25338
Senior Cook

I'm just sittin' here in front to the computer listening to NPR and trying to pick up an interesting tidbit a good idea here on this forum.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #25339
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm working on decorating a set of floating shelves DH built and installed in our sitting/guest room.

A few years ago, I made these display frames from something I found on Pinterest for souvenir magnets from our trips. DH cut a steel sheet to fit the frames and I put the magnets on it. The steel has rusted over time, so today I trimmed construction paper to cover the it and cleaned up the magnets. Need a few more items for the top shelf.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1459637224527.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	24526   Click image for larger version

Name:	1459637239995.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	24527  

Old 04-03-2016, 07:08 AM   #25340
Head Chef

Smile

I like to do upcycling i.e. recycling/adapting items for a new lease of life.

I found some rainbow coloured fabric and covered the arching branch of a rose bush and incorporated a tropical parrot that I also found (discarded!)