"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-04-2016, 05:48 AM   #25531
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Attachment 24697

Haven't had these for a while.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:32 AM   #25532
Chef Extraordinaire

I am sitting here at 9:20 and just closed the door. The driver for Winthrop was here to pick me up. This was the first I heard that I had an appointment. I am in my night clothes. I need a shower, haven't eaten anything, and am not going in. They could have notified me yesterday. Via email or a phone call. If they can't get their act together, I am going to file a formal report and complaint.

They have a new head nurse and she just happens to be my nurse. It is her job to schedule my appointments. I honestly do not think she is up to the job. Before her predecessor left, the three of us and sat down and went over my needs and expectations. I have to admit I have been so spoiled these past eight years by my former nurse. I realize that there is a learning curve for my new nurse. So for now I am keeping my mouth shut and hope she learns her job a lot faster from here on in.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:34 PM   #25533
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Oh my goodness, it's awful in Fort McMurray, AB. They have evacuated the whole city because of the wild fire. Whole neighbourhoods are gone.

If you are on FB and have friends in or near Fort McMurray, see if they have checked in: https://www.facebook.com/safetycheck...re-may03-2016/

Here's a CBC report on the fire:
Fort McMurray wildfire remains out of control after city evacuated - Edmonton - CBC News
My cousin lives in Fort McMurray and we are keeping track of her and her family and friends through facebook. They evacuated last night with friends, in cars, not sure where they are going. Many surrounding places are offering free showers and sometimes free lodging during the evacuation. Many prayers going their way.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:26 AM   #25534
Master Chef

Hit the farmers market this morning.

I picked up a Martha Washington geranium for mom's grave and some produce for me.

No local produce yet so I hit the 3-4-5 Guys. The guys sell three heaping quart baskets of imported produce for $5.00. They have good quality, fair prices and they always cause some type of commotion to amuse the shoppers.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:49 PM   #25535
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

More weeding and brush cleanup. Blech. A very nice day for it, though, no bugs.

I also harvested a bunch of my neighbor's rhubarb. There may be some canning in the near future.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:52 AM   #25536
Master Chef

Puttering around the kitchen this morning!

Broke down yesterday's roast chicken, put the skin and bones on the stove to simmer for stock. Popped a couple of meal sized bags of chicken into the freezer.

Peeled and chopped some tomatoes for a small pot of stewed tomatoes.

Packing a box of odds and ends for the charity shop.

Enjoying a cup of reheated coffee and checking DC.

Life is good!
Old 05-09-2016, 08:58 AM   #25537
Head Chef

Unhappy

I have just eaten a bloody egg! No, I am not swearing - the egg was totally bloody i.e. not blood clots.

It was my last egg and everything else was ready to eat, e.g. toast etc. I quickly did a google search and it seems it is OK, i.e. not that the egg was fertilising but that the chicken was stressed. Apparently workers are supposed to look out for this and take them out.

When it was cooked (poached), the redness had all but disappeared....just leaving a very faint pinkness to the eggwhite. Tasted OK.

Has anyone else had this experience and eaten the egg?

Old 05-09-2016, 03:57 PM   #25538
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Creative, a bloody egg would have been a deal breaker for me. Good for you to have the fortitude to eat it!

I'm rhubarbing in the rain. Now, what to do with it. I'm probably going to freeze a bunch, make some jam and sauce, maybe some juice.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #25539
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Creative, a bloody egg would have been a deal breaker for me. Good for you to have the fortitude to eat it!

I'm rhubarbing in the rain. Now, what to do with it. I'm probably going to freeze a bunch, make some jam and sauce, maybe some juice.
This was a new one on me!

Pickled Rhubarb Recipe - WellPreserved
Old 05-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #25540
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
This was a new one on me!

Pickled Rhubarb Recipe - WellPreserved

This interests me greatly, AB! May have to give it a whirl!

Thanks!