"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-15-2016, 12:57 PM   #25571
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I got the large flower bed planted with purchased flowers yesterday, seeds just were not going to be fast enough for me to enjoy, but I have strategically planted the seeds for a later show of flowers. Today the yard beyond the sidewalk. It's so cloudy (no rain) I have not even gotten a tan.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:00 PM   #25572
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Been spending time in my studio today just playin' around and enjoying the company of my girls, Sally and Bella.

I like to have something to to with my hands while I watch TV at night so today I'm cutting 3-inch strips out of plastic shopping bags. I'm crocheting a plastic mat out of them and I've about run out of strips in my pile. I should have nearly 200 when I finish today. Then I'll have to find something else to amuse me. The studio is such a cheerful pleasant place that I get lost when I'm there. No worries, though, I have plenty of grandchild projects to keep me busy for several lifetimes.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:06 PM   #25573
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Been spending time in my studio today just playin' around and enjoying the company of my girls, Sally and Bella.

I like to have something to to with my hands while I watch TV at night so today I'm cutting 3-inch strips out of plastic shopping bags. I'm crocheting a plastic mat out of them and I've about run out of strips in my pile. I should have nearly 200 when I finish today. Then I'll have to find something else to amuse me. The studio is such a cheerful pleasant place that I get lost when I'm there. No worries, though, I have plenty of grandchild projects to keep me busy for several lifetimes.
That's pretty interesting, Katie. I was wondering what you would do with plastic mats, so I did a search and found this: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/57069120248373616/

Amazing what creative people can come up with
Old 05-15-2016, 02:09 PM   #25574
Head Chef

I went for a sunday roast dinner lunch at a local pub (not been there before but I was informed that the roast potatoes were done in goose fat and not, as many pubs tend to do - deep fried!).

I took a chance and had the beef (which was topside - not normally a typical joint for roasting ... more suited to braising). It was surprisingly tender but oh...WHAT a disappointment the roast potatoes were! Although they looked authentically brown, their exterior was SOFT i.e. not crunchy. Also they were volcanically hot, like food sometimes is when emerging from a microwave. This is probably how they were treated (heated up this way)...it would certainly account for their soft exterior. (I am familiar with pies being heated in a microwave emerging with damp, soft pastry). Oh well....I have another local pub to try for a sunday roast.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:20 PM   #25575
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That's pretty interesting, Katie. I was wondering what you would do with plastic mats, so I did a search and found this: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/57069120248373616/

Amazing what creative people can come up with
I don't remember where I heard about the mats, but the ones I'm making will be smallish because I'm going to put them in the bottom of Sally and Bella's sleeping baskets this winter. Should keep them cozy under their blankies.

I'm also going to make a larger one to use under the pool ladder on the outside of the pool to keep things from getting too mucky and to aid in bringing in grass, etc. into the pool when we get in.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:28 PM   #25576
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Just got back from our biannual Costco run. I now have enough paper products to last me most of the rest of my life. I was really impressed with the Kirkland brand of facial tissue, it was really tough and very soft. I go through a lot of kleenex.

The vultures were swooping in on the samples. A man, his daughter, and I were patiently waiting for a bean burrito slice, and a guy just stuck his arm in and grabbed up the last sample.

Our closest Costco is apparently an ugly stepsister. I looked high and low for the Kirkland facewipes, none to be found anywhere. DH thought he found them over by the dog food aisle, but those were buttwipes. Not quite the same.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:38 PM   #25577
Chef Extraordinaire

I wanted to take some close-up pictures when DH and I were working the bees with our friend, but I couldn't select anything on the touch screen on my phone with the beekeeper gloves on. So I'm taking the copper wire from an old Palm PDA and sewing it onto my beekeeper glove, like this: How to Make Touch Screen Gloves | Digital Landing

Old 05-15-2016, 06:00 PM   #25578
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Just got back from our biannual Costco run. I now have enough paper products to last me most of the rest of my life. I was really impressed with the Kirkland brand of facial tissue, it was really tough and very soft. I go through a lot of kleenex.

The vultures were swooping in on the samples. A man, his daughter, and I were patiently waiting for a bean burrito slice, and a guy just stuck his arm in and grabbed up the last sample.

Our closest Costco is apparently an ugly stepsister. I looked high and low for the Kirkland facewipes, none to be found anywhere. DH thought he found them over by the dog food aisle, but those were buttwipes. Not quite the same.
No, not quite! I love the Kirkland facial towelettes, Dawg. Sorry you couldn't find any this time. The last time I was in Costco - at least a year and a half ago - I found them in kind of a weird place, but I don't remember where. I bought 3 boxes of them.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:11 PM   #25579
Master Chef

What I've been doing compared to what you all have been doing, is not nearly as much fun. I've been on a cleaning and throwing stuff away binge for the past 2 days. I might be going up to the Sacramento area in NoCal to visit my aunt and uncle for a few days in the coming week, and want to come home to a clean house with as little to do as possible.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:22 PM   #25580
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
No, not quite! I love the Kirkland facial towelettes, Dawg. Sorry you couldn't find any this time. The last time I was in Costco - at least a year and a half ago - I found them in kind of a weird place, but I don't remember where. I bought 3 boxes of them.

The facewipes have ALWAYS been in the first aisle before the soap and shampoo here! How dare Costco!

And of course, nobody around to ask. The food sample people probably have no idea.