"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #25611
Chef Extraordinaire

Because my windows are set back into an alcove of sorts, when you look out the windows at the elevator, you get a perfect view of mine. Last night Pirate used silicone on the tracks. Today is one of our warmer days this spring. So even though they shut off the heat today and put on the AC, I have chosen to open my windows as far as I can.

The maintenance department has not been on the ball ever since I moved into this building. There are some apartment where the tenant can't even open the windows an inch. All the tracks need some silicone. So as a result, while waiting for the elevator, folks have been looking at my two windows that are open as far as they can go. I have been getting phone calls asking me how come my windows are open so high, yet they can't even budge theirs. I tell them about the silicone.

"Oh, do you think your son could come do mine?"

"No, first you have to buy the silicone at a hardware store and then call the office to create a 'work order' and have Maintenance do it."

I know my reply has a bit of meanness in it. But I no longer offer the services of my two boys. Pirate has neuropathy really bad and has been falling a lot lately. And there are days when Spike puts in more than eight hours doing his own work. Plus there are 40 apartments in this building. I am not going to supply every one silicone for free. That is what the Maintenance Department is for.

I get "Oh", after I give them instructions for getting theirs done. And a quick hang up. Sorry folks. So now I am no longer your friend. I am sure the Gossip Club has made me the topic of the day. It won't be the first time. Now ask me if I care.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:30 PM   #25612
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Pitting cherries. We have a bunch of mediocre ones that are on their last legs, so I washed and stemmed them, put them between parchment sheets, and ran my rolling pin over them a few times. Made it really easy to squeeze out the pits, better than doing it one by one. I used surgical gloves this time, having had purple fingernails before. I couldn't find my usual cherry pitter, and this worked pretty slick. I'll make some microwave cherry jam to stir into Greek yogurt.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:10 PM   #25613
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Pitting cherries. We have a bunch of mediocre ones that are on their last legs, so I washed and stemmed them, put them between parchment sheets, and ran my rolling pin over them a few times. Made it really easy to squeeze out the pits, better than doing it one by one. I used surgical gloves this time, having had purple fingernails before. I couldn't find my usual cherry pitter, and this worked pretty slick. I'll make some microwave cherry jam to stir into Greek yogurt.
What a great idea, Dawg! I LOVE cherries and have about a pound of the little beauties that need to be eaten. I'll order a cherry pitter from Amazon tomorrow (I kept forgetting before) but your method will work until it arrives!
Old 05-26-2016, 11:17 PM   #25614
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
What a great idea, Dawg! I LOVE cherries and have about a pound of the little beauties that need to be eaten. I'll order a cherry pitter from Amazon tomorrow (I kept forgetting before) but your method will work until it arrives!

Thanks Cheryl! It works great if they don't have to be purdy. One of the pitting methods I'd read about suggested using a rubber mallet. Unfortunately, when I looked in the garage and the basement, there were no rubber mallets to be found, even though DH and I used to have 4 between us. Apparently SOMEONE managed to misplace all of them. (Hint: it wasn't I).

Hence, the improvisation with the rarely-used rolling pin.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:24 PM   #25615
Master Chef

Uh oh....someone is in the doghouse again. ;-)

Nope, they don't have to be purdy - I'll just stir some into yogurt and top my French vanilla ice cream with them. They'll be gone in 2 days. Just didn't want them to go to waste, considering the price of fresh cherries. LOL
Old 05-26-2016, 11:34 PM   #25616
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

There are other uses for rolling pins...
Old 05-26-2016, 11:41 PM   #25617
Sous Chef

I am watching The Man From Laramie on my computer. When I'm done with that, I get to go pack some more wicker.

I answered a Craig's List ad several weeks ago asking $50 for 40+ pieces of miniature wicker pieces. There were actually 75 pieces and after a friend and I had taken our pick (we share everything), I posted a picture of the rest on my miniature forum. Instantly, people were asking if they could buy some. So....I took pictures and made up a price list and for the last two weeks, have been filling orders and mailing out wicker. As soon as my movie's over, I have two more boxes to pack for shipping tomorrow.

It's fun, but if I never see a piece of miniature wicker again, it'll be way too soon.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:44 PM   #25618
Master Chef

Quote:
There are other uses for rolling pins...
Very true!
Old 05-27-2016, 12:10 AM   #25619
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
... I'll make some microwave cherry jam to stir into Greek yogurt.
What? Microwave jam? Details, please...
Old 05-27-2016, 12:32 AM   #25620
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
What? Microwave jam? Details, please...

I just squished and pitted a bunch of elderly cherries and sprinkled them with a bit of sugar and a packet of TrueLemon. Will let them sit in the fridge overnight to mascerate, then will cook them for a few minutes in the microwave.

I'll let you know how it turns out! It may be what a good friend calls "a noble experiment".