"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-30-2016, 02:38 AM   #25631
Master Chef

I'm looking forward to your photo shoot, too, PF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Whew. We are just about packed up and ready to head out to the mountains - we're going to Claytor Lake State Park for the week.

Interesting factoid: the lake was created by building a dam and there's a house at the bottom that was left standing when the lake was filled.

Claytor Lake State Park
Those are fine looking cabins, GG. Even nicer than a couple of the time-share resorts I've been in over the years. We've had a couple of stinkers!

One house at the bottom? Eh. The Quabbin Reservoir in central MA, built in the late 1930s to supply water to the Boston area, has four towns underwater. They did move cemetery inhabitants and town monuments and clear the above-ground structures before flooding, but the cellars and roadways still exist, such as they are. Sad and fascinating at the same time.

ONE New England - The Quabbin Reservoir

Old 05-30-2016, 03:26 AM   #25632
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
CG, interesting about the Quabbin Reservoir. Something similar happened when they built the Saint Lawrence Seaway. They moved and demolished nine villages and parts of two other villages in 1958. The Lost Villages. They moved all the graves to St. Lawrence Valley (Union) Cemetery

Old 05-30-2016, 03:53 AM   #25633
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'm looking forward to your photo shoot, too, PF.

Those are fine looking cabins, GG. Even nicer than a couple of the time-share resorts I've been in over the years. We've had a couple of stinkers!

One house at the bottom? Eh. The Quabbin Reservoir in central MA, built in the late 1930s to supply water to the Boston area, has four towns underwater. They did move cemetery inhabitants and town monuments and clear the above-ground structures before flooding, but the cellars and roadways still exist, such as they are. Sad and fascinating at the same time.

ONE New England - The Quabbin Reservoir
During time of excessive drought, the water level becomes low enough that you can see the homes, street lights and even the picket fences. Surprising are the cobblestone streets.

Also, due to the intense diligence of and patrolling of the Reservoir along with the large supply of fish, it was decided that it would be the ideal place to reintroduce Bald Eagles to Massachusetts.

Eagles in Massachusetts

The first egg hatchlings were hand fed with puppets. Today, several pair have been spotted in the Boston area.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:20 AM   #25634
Chef Extraordinaire

CG and taxi, I didn't realize that drowning villages for water sources was such a common thing! Can you imagine the outcry if the government tried to do that today?
Old 05-30-2016, 05:35 PM   #25635
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
CG and taxi, I didn't realize that drowning villages for water sources was such a common thing! Can you imagine the outcry if the government tried to do that today?
Yeah, eh?
Old 05-30-2016, 05:49 PM   #25636
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yeah, eh?
Eminent Domain. It is still active for the better of the masses. Or so they like to tell us. Right now Eastie is in the middle of a building boom. Some of it is on abandoned property, some is bought and some by eminent domain.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #25637
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Spent a good portion of the morning watering flowers and our container vegetable plants. Did some daily pool maintenance and...

To use a word that's common across the pond, I am "gobsmacked." In less than 20 minutes I spied and plucked 6, yes 6, four-leaf clovers in the back yard. Four were in one small area and the other two were in two other, quite separate, areas from the first bunch.

I wasn't looking. It just seemed that every time I looked down, a four-leaf clover was at my feet. One of them is a bit bedraggled because I think it had an encounter with the mower the last time Glenn mowed. Each of its leaves was somewhat buzz-cut, but still had all four of them.

I'll add them to the two I found in May. Wonder how many I'll have by wintertime?!
Old 06-01-2016, 05:30 PM   #25638
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Spent a good portion of the morning watering flowers and our container vegetable plants. Did some daily pool maintenance and...

To use a word that's common across the pond, I am "gobsmacked." In less than 20 minutes I spied and plucked 6, yes 6, four-leaf clovers in the back yard. Four were in one small area and the other two were in two other, quite separate, areas from the first bunch.

I wasn't looking. It just seemed that every time I looked down, a four-leaf clover was at my feet. One of them is a bit bedraggled because I think it had an encounter with the mower the last time Glenn mowed. Each of its leaves was somewhat buzz-cut, but still had all four of them.

I'll add them to the two I found in May. Wonder how many I'll have by wintertime?!
Gee, can I come and hang out with you? Maybe some of that good luck will rub off on me. Great find!

My granddaughter finds them all the time. She just looks down and there they are.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:40 PM   #25639
Chef Extraordinaire

I placed an order late Saturday night with Jet. Two day delivery. I forgot that it was a holiday weekend. I got upset and sent them an inquiry to where was my order Monday afternoon. Within the hour, I had a reply. But while waiting to hear from them, it dawned on me regarding the long holiday. But they do have great customer service. They tracked my order down. It had been sent to the wrong distribution center by the shipper. No mention of the holiday. Apology sent and 20% off my next order. So it is now out for delivery. And no shipping costs. With any other company, considering it would have cost me even more in shipping costs to get it delivered by FedEx and that UPS doesn't make weekend deliveries, and this delivery service does, I am extremely happy. The fact that everything I ordered was tax free also. Amazon now collects Mass. sales tax. Everything I ordered was a taxable item here in Mass.

I am so happy with Jet. No complaints. Great customer service, fast delivery, free shipping, no sales tax. And discounts to add. Will be sending them a 'thank you' note later tonight.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:37 PM   #25640
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am so happy with Jet. No complaints. Great customer service, fast delivery, free shipping, no sales tax. And discounts to add. Will be sending them a 'thank you' note later tonight.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'd never heard of Jet but spent the last few minutes perusing their site. What do you buy from them? I occasionally order groceries and other stuff from Amazon Prime Pantry and WalMart. Not in love with either.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote