"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-01-2016, 07:51 PM   #25641
Executive Chef

I've never heard of Jet before either. I see several Kirkland brand products ( coffee, various snacking nuts, spices). Is Jet related to Costco, or do they just carry a few of their products. I see some amount sizes are in the familiar giganto Costco sizes.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #25642
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I'd never heard of Jet but spent the last few minutes perusing their site. What do you buy from them? I occasionally order groceries and other stuff from Amazon Prime Pantry and WalMart. Not in love with either.
Our food and clothing along with medical services and others are exempt from the State Sales Tax. Household goods such as paper towels, soaps, pet food etc. are all taxable. So that is what I order. Taxable items only. Our sales tax rate is 6% on each dollar. Considering I order the very large of any item, I save a considerable amount in tax money over a year.

Last order I bought the largest container of Gain laundry pods. It will most likely last me for six months or more. If I had bought it at my supermarket I would be buying just a large container each month. And each month it would have cost me $4 or $5 in sales tax. When you consider I order everything in the largest size they sell, that adds up at the end of the year in savings. This is only my second order. Each order, I get my most immediate needs knowing there will still be plenty of that order left when I place my next order. Even I was surprised at just how many taxable items I use. No wonder tax free weekend is so popular. The only problem with that is that the stores are jammed. And I don't have a car, so New Hampshire is not an option for me either.

So if you have a sales tax in your state, you can save a lot of money by the end of the year. Some states even tax their food. The following states have no sales tax at all. Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon. Here's hoping your state is one of them.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:07 PM   #25643
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I've never heard of Jet before either. I see several Kirkland brand products ( coffee, various snacking nuts, spices). Is Jet related to Costco, or do they just carry a few of their products. I see some amount sizes are in the familiar giganto Costco sizes.
I don't know.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:17 PM   #25644
Head Chef

I pay 9.75 sales tax on virtually everything including food.
  • 7.00% state
  • 2.25% county
  • 0.50% city
The guys with flag pins on their lapel are quick to point out there is no income tax though. Google regressive taxation.

I'll place an order with Jet tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:49 PM   #25645
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
I pay 9.75 sales tax on virtually everything including food.
  • 7.00% state
  • 2.25% county
  • 0.50% city
The guys with flag pins on their lapel are quick to point out there is no income tax though. Google regressive taxation.

I'll place an order with Jet tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again.
Fortunately for you, Jet has no agreement to collect taxes for your state.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:55 PM   #25646
Master Chef

Addie,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
...In less than 20 minutes I spied and plucked 6, yes 6, four-leaf clovers in the back yard. Four were in one small area and the other two were in two other, quite separate, areas from the first bunch...I'll add them to the two I found in May. Wonder how many I'll have by wintertime?!
If anyone deserves a run of good luck, Katie, it is you. You sure have had more than your share of tough luck lately.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:09 PM   #25647
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Addie,
If anyone deserves a run of good luck, Katie, it is you. You sure have had more than your share of tough luck lately.
Thanks Cooking Goddess. I'm ready for some positive experiences.

If I were inclined to play the lottery, perhaps my time should be now.

Still, I was amazed at my run of luck finding all those clovers. It'll be interesting if I find any tomorrow when I water. I might have gathered my quota today. I'll find out tomorrow morning.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:49 AM   #25648
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I just finished ordering some vaping supplies and now I'm about to place a grocery order.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #25649
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I just finished ordering some vaping supplies and now I'm about to place a grocery order.
Taxy,
Vaping supplies... Is it for those E pens? Excuse my ignorance, what is that?
Whatcha up to?

If it's anything bad sign me up to!
Old 06-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #25650
Honey Badger

Back on my comp after a much needed break.
I've been overdoing things around the house and did something to my back that's had me in serious pain. Sitting at my desk has been impossible.

I was able to check in here from time to time. Remind me to get my laptop set up to log in here and see what's been cooking.

Trust me sitting around not being able to do much has been driving me up the wall. Needless to say I've missed reading all the good foodie posts and pics.

Teasers!

« Petty Vents | - »