"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #25671
Master Chef

Phoebe family or no, I have to get outside and wash off the front porch. We have a nest of babies atop the cornice, and I have been stalling with hosing down the siding. Baby birds or no, I have to get most of it done. My downstairs front screens on that side of the house need to be put in.

Keep your fingers crossed that no dive-bombing birds peck me to death!

Old 06-06-2016, 05:01 PM   #25672
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

Keep your fingers crossed that no dive-bombing birds peck me to death!
Fingers crossed.
Sorry can't help but laugh. We once had Sparrows that nested every year right in the corner of our front door entry way.

We all had to be at a school event one night. Got all dressed up, hair done, yadda yadda...I turned on the porch light as we were leaving. While I was just stepping out the Mother Sparrow dropped a few BOMBS right on my head!!!

Hubby and the kids were howling with laughter. Not me.
Needless to say we were late and my hair looked like crap! Literally!

Old 06-06-2016, 11:51 PM   #25673
Master Chef

Munky, I survived unscathed! Momma and Poppa were flitting from tree to porch rail and back again, chirping the entire time. I did see one little head pop up during the entire time, but I don't know if it is an only child or not. I still have part of the porch to wash down, but I'll wait until the nest is empty.

I did get a photo, not very good, but you can see "bird". Not sure if it's Mom or Dad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-06 18.33.58.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	24877  
Old 06-07-2016, 03:16 AM   #25674
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Eating Curry at work, by the next check round I should be sweating curry...
Old 06-07-2016, 04:55 AM   #25675
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I placed an order late Saturday night with Jet. Two day delivery. I forgot that it was a holiday weekend. I got upset and sent them an inquiry to where was my order Monday afternoon. Within the hour, I had a reply. But while waiting to hear from them, it dawned on me regarding the long holiday. But they do have great customer service. They tracked my order down. It had been sent to the wrong distribution center by the shipper. No mention of the holiday. Apology sent and 20% off my next order. So it is now out for delivery. And no shipping costs. With any other company, considering it would have cost me even more in shipping costs to get it delivered by FedEx and that UPS doesn't make weekend deliveries, and this delivery service does, I am extremely happy. The fact that everything I ordered was tax free also. Amazon now collects Mass. sales tax. Everything I ordered was a taxable item here in Mass.

I am so happy with Jet. No complaints. Great customer service, fast delivery, free shipping, no sales tax. And discounts to add. Will be sending them a 'thank you' note later tonight.
I just got around to placing an order. Very impressive.

At first it seemed the selection was pretty narrow. Started off with 21 pages of stuff and ordered a dozen things from it. But, when I searched pasta though, it gave me 21 pages of pasta alone. A better selection than Amazon prime pantry, Wallmart online, or my local Kroger grocery store. Plus I bought 5 lbs. of dried tomatoes for less than half of what the same amount would have cost me in the grocery store packages. You don't have to buy big quantities if you don't want to. I bought one boxed brownie mix for instance.

No tax. 15% off my 1st three orders. Free 2-day delivery and no worries because Addie recommended them. Score!

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:11 PM   #25676
Chef Extraordinaire

I hope this doesn't come across as too political, but tonight is a historic occasion. Hillary Clinton has become the first woman nominated for president by a major party in the United States. I'm very happy and proud, especially since I am a former co-president of the League of Women Voters in my locality. I'm thrilled to witness this day.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:03 AM   #25677
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Munky, I survived unscathed! Momma and Poppa were flitting from tree to porch rail and back again, chirping the entire time. I did see one little head pop up during the entire time, but I don't know if it is an only child or not. I still have part of the porch to wash down, but I'll wait until the nest is empty.

I did get a photo, not very good, but you can see "bird". Not sure if it's Mom or Dad.
I'm on the third floor and I can see the seagulls nesting on the flat roof of the building across the street. Watching the seagulls learn to fly is hysterical. They get up in the air OK, but they come in for a landing, stop short, and tumble head over heels. It really only takes them a couple days to become proficient flyers, but during those couple days, a few babies get stuck on some other rooftop and all you can hear are baby sea gulls crying for mom (or dad) to come rescue them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I hope this doesn't come across as too political, but tonight is a historic occasion. Hillary Clinton has become the first woman nominated for president by a major party in the United States. I'm very happy and proud, especially since I am a former co-president of the League of Women Voters in my locality. I'm thrilled to witness this day.
Not sure how I feel about Hillary. I mean, I think it's wonderful that I live in a time when a woman can get nominated but at the same time, Hillary wouldn't have been my choice. Well, I wouldn't pick Trump either. I think they should put the election off a year and make everyone start over.

Our heatwave here finally broke, so that means tomorrow my air conditioner will arrive.

I'm making up the grocery list for tomorrow. That will take me about an hour or so. Then I think I'll turn in early. I finally got the book "The Big Short" and I'm reading about a chapter or so a night before I go to sleep. I don't know anything about stocks and bonds, so I'm really having to concentrate on that book to understand it. A little of it goes a long way.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #25678
Senior Cook

Its been hot as hell here so I decided its about time I get a screen door built for the chicken coop. I like to lock them in at night to keep them safe from preditors but they need air too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13346875_10153441811816017_6738681932055887836_n.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	24890  
Old 06-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #25679
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
I just got around to placing an order. Very impressive.

At first it seemed the selection was pretty narrow. Started off with 21 pages of stuff and ordered a dozen things from it. But, when I searched pasta though, it gave me 21 pages of pasta alone. A better selection than Amazon prime pantry, Wallmart online, or my local Kroger grocery store. Plus I bought 5 lbs. of dried tomatoes for less than half of what the same amount would have cost me in the grocery store packages. You don't have to buy big quantities if you don't want to. I bought one boxed brownie mix for instance.

No tax. 15% off my 1st three orders. Free 2-day delivery and no worries because Addie recommended them. Score!
I am glad you are happy. I order items that I would be taxed on here in Mass. I already have my next order ready to go. I will have the money available next week, and as soon as I am sure it is in my account I will hit "place order."

It is too easy to get carried away on that site. So I now limit myself to how much I can spend on each order.

Last order, I got in a hefty supply of paper dishes. Big ones. small ones for sandwiches, and small bowls. Pirate thinks it is so wasteful. Guess who reaches for them the most. Yeah, Pirate. When I called him on it, all I got was, "Yeah Ma, but I am the one who washes the dishes more than you do." Go ahead son. There is room for only one of us in the kitchen, so do all the cooking you want. Just don't cook for me. He uses too much seasoning, (pepper).

I haven't looked at the food items yet. I think I will take a look.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:19 PM   #25680
Senior Cook

I'm taking an hour break from working in the fish room and listening to The Splendid Table. I already moved a 150 gallon shrimp holding container to outside the fish room, filled it with 60 gallons of aged tap and 90 gallons of dechlorinated tap from the hose. I caught and moved a ton of Pearl Goruamis divided among 3 tanks it it. Then I cleaned and squeezed 30 sponge filters and put them back.

My next job will not be fun. I need to kill a whole bunch of adult Angelfish that I have no market for. I hate it but I have to do it. I need the tank space.