"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-12-2016, 12:42 PM   #25681
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'm on the third floor and I can see the seagulls nesting on the flat roof of the building across the street. Watching the seagulls learn to fly is hysterical. They get up in the air OK, but they come in for a landing, stop short, and tumble head over heels. It really only takes them a couple days to become proficient flyers, but during those couple days, a few babies get stuck on some other rooftop and all you can hear are baby sea gulls crying for mom (or dad) to come rescue them.

Our heatwave here finally broke, so that means tomorrow my air conditioner will arrive.

I'm making up the grocery list for tomorrow. That will take me about an hour or so. Then I think I'll turn in early. I finally got the book "The Big Short" and I'm reading about a chapter or so a night before I go to sleep. I don't know anything about stocks and bonds, so I'm really having to concentrate on that book to understand it. A little of it goes a long way.
In these here parts, if we see sea gulls coming into shore, we know a storm is coming. Our big problem in this building is pigeons. Management had to post a notice for the tenants to stop feeding the birds. So they do it at the back of the building in the parking lot there. Now the tenants that park there are complaining about the droppings on their cars. I can't blame them. Those dropping are very caustic to the car paint.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:55 PM   #25682
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
I'm taking an hour break from working in the fish room and listening to The Splendid Table. I already moved a 150 gallon shrimp holding container to outside the fish room, filled it with 60 gallons of aged tap and 90 gallons of dechlorinated tap from the hose. I caught and moved a ton of Pearl Goruamis divided among 3 tanks it it. Then I cleaned and squeezed 30 sponge filters and put them back.

My next job will not be fun. I need to kill a whole bunch of adult Angelfish that I have no market for. I hate it but I have to do it. I need the tank space.
I understood roughly none of that, but one question. Can you harvest the shrimp container for scampi?

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:03 PM   #25683
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am glad you are happy. I order items that I would be taxed on here in Mass. I already have my next order ready to go. I will have the money available next week, and as soon as I am sure it is in my account I will hit "place order."

It is too easy to get carried away on that site. So I now limit myself to how much I can spend on each order.

Last order, I got in a hefty supply of paper dishes. Big ones. small ones for sandwiches, and small bowls. Pirate thinks it is so wasteful. Guess who reaches for them the most. Yeah, Pirate. When I called him on it, all I got was, "Yeah Ma, but I am the one who washes the dishes more than you do." Go ahead son. There is room for only one of us in the kitchen, so do all the cooking you want. Just don't cook for me. He uses too much seasoning, (pepper).

I haven't looked at the food items yet. I think I will take a look.
Upon delivery I was pleased they did a very good job of packing the order. No crushed cracker boxes or broken jam jars.
Better than Amazon prime and much better than Walmart.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:31 PM   #25684
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
Upon delivery I was pleased they did a very good job of packing the order. No crushed cracker boxes or broken jam jars.
Better than Amazon prime and much better than Walmart.
They do a great job of packing. I have yet to find anything to complain about.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #25685
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
I understood roughly none of that, but one question. Can you harvest the shrimp container for scampi?
At first I didn't understand what you were asking but then I figured it out.

I got these 3 150 gallon containers used when I lived on the coast in Mobile. I got them for a bargain price of $100. and the guy threw in a swimming pool pump! He was a scrounger. It didn't occur to me at the time but they might have been stolen.

I breed tropical fish. I don't mess with food fish. I breed the ones that people set a tank up for in their living room so they can admire them. anyone who breeds fish realizes the value of large but manageable excellent quality container. For a long time I just used them to age water. Now I age water with larger containers and these were just sitting around.

The problem is that there is little market down south for tropical fish. Up north it's a different story.

I just culled 90 healthy Angels who were laying eggs like crazy yesterday and Friday. I hardened my heart and got it done. I poured the dead fish on the fig tree. If the dogs find them I hope they don't let me know.

In case you can't tell, I have just slugged down 3 beers is fast succession. I'm about to take a long hot bath. It won't cleanse my soul but it will clean my body.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:23 PM   #25686
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
At first I didn't understand what you were asking but then I figured it out.

I got these 3 150 gallon containers used when I lived on the coast in Mobile. I got them for a bargain price of $100. and the guy threw in a swimming pool pump! He was a scrounger. It didn't occur to me at the time but they might have been stolen.

I breed tropical fish. I don't mess with food fish. I breed the ones that people set a tank up for in their living room so they can admire them. anyone who breeds fish realizes the value of large but manageable excellent quality container. For a long time I just used them to age water. Now I age water with larger containers and these were just sitting around.

The problem is that there is little market down south for tropical fish. Up north it's a different story.

I just culled 90 healthy Angels who were laying eggs like crazy yesterday and Friday. I hardened my heart and got it done. I poured the dead fish on the fig tree. If the dogs find them I hope they don't let me know.

In case you can't tell, I have just slugged down 3 beers is fast succession. I'm about to take a long hot bath. It won't cleanse my soul but it will clean my body.
I am not to fond either of killing living things either except bugs. I don't even drink and I would probably need three beers also if I had to do that.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:16 PM   #25687
Senior Cook

The pain of it is the reason that I can no longer breed warm blooded animals. After my husband died I sold all the dairy goats (I was a big deal in the dairy goat show ring once upon a time) It's also why I chose to groom dogs rather than breed them. I have an "eye" and I know how to get the best out of the dog I am presented with.

I thought that by breeding fish I could take what I had and work to make it better. I am a breeder at heart. I have to breed something. I thought that fish would be easy because after all, it's just a fish. It is a lot easier than taking goats to the slaughter house or knocking them in the head and doing it myself. It's only hard sometimes. I put the fish into a bucket with mostly ice and a little water. They say that doing it that way is painless to the fish but I have my doubts although they do die quickly.

Oh well...life is not always fun and joy. It's no bit deal in the full scheme of things...
Old 06-12-2016, 05:40 PM   #25688
Head Chef

Somewhere in the last few days, I remember half-hearing a story about a scientific study finding fish recognize people's faces. You think it's true?

Old 06-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #25689
Senior Cook

Yes. IME it is true.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:16 PM   #25690
Chef Extraordinaire

IME?