"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #25691
Senior Cook

In my experience.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:22 PM   #25692
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

In my experience? Just a guess. Skillet, they weren't angel fish, but relatives I suspect.

We posted at the same time, Liz! So sorry for the demise of your fish.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:43 PM   #25693
Senior Cook

Don't mourn them. It was necessary so I did it. I have more to do in tomorrow but I'll have to buy another bag of ice. The bucket has to be mostly ice and just a little water if death is to be quick.

I have a ton more fish that I will now tank space for. Ill euthanize the ones that I can't sell while they're small. I'll get off my arse and sell them small on Aquabid. (I suck at advertising and selling. I hate having to do it but my feed back is 100% positive so I guess I'm good at it.

I did the right thing. It's unimportant that I hated doing it. Either the dogs will find the dead fish and eat them or they will decompose and fertilize the fig tree. I'll have breeding tanks available!

Here's a pic of my Discus tank. I didn't have to kill any Discus. My local fish store will buy my cull Discus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0463.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	24891  
Old 06-12-2016, 08:04 PM   #25694
Head Chef

Never had pet fish but there was a big brown trout that used to laugh whenever I showed up with my fishing pole. I'm sure he recognized me.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:46 PM   #25695
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Crying. We were horrified and sickened by the Orlando shootings.

Then I picked some purslane from the tomato bed, not sure what I'm going to do with them yet, but they taste good.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:35 AM   #25696
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Crying. We were horrified and sickened by the Orlando shootings.

Then I picked some purslane from the tomato bed, not sure what I'm going to do with them yet, but they taste good.
I am with you on that. I just hope and pray that Trump doesn't use this horrendous tragedy in his campaign. My stomach just wants to churn when my mind wanders to Florida. I try not to think of it. Pirate watched the news around six o'clock. There are still families who aren't sure about their child. Alive or dead? It seems that no one has bothered to get names except that of the killer.

I want to find a channel that only tells you happy news. Animal Rescue may be it for me. They never show a failed rescue.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #25697
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
Somewhere in the last few days, I remember half-hearing a story about a scientific study finding fish recognize people's faces. You think it's true?
Not only can some fish recognize faces, they can also at times recognize what they perceive as a threat and in some cases will react.
When I was a kid we had a walking catfish as a pet. He also had a small hole in his head. Mom said it was from a disease he had recovered from. Dad said it was from a 22.
Anyway, the fish liked us kids. Sometimes if we opened the tank to feed him, he would jump on our hand to be let out. We would play with him for a bit then put him back up. Note: I think it was either 150 or 200 gallon tanks. One of the big ones.
One evening, we had just put the fish back in his tank but hadn't closed the lid yet. Dad came through the front door drunk and in a mood. He made the mistake of yelling at us kids. Next thing we saw was a catfish come flying out of the tank, slide down the arm of the couch and start chasing dad. Of course, our cat came flying out of the other room and started chasing dad. He opened the front door and took off. The fish and the cat were hot on his heels. Dad ran out in the yard. The animals stopped at the edge of the porch and just glared at him. He could not get back on the porch because of teeth and claws. US kids went out, picked up the fish and told the cat she had done good.
I wish I had a video camera back then.
The catfish got put in his tank and the lid shut. The cat stood at the door until dad apologized and started acting civil.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:28 PM   #25698
Senior Cook

Now that is a great story. Would you object to me posting it to my fish forum? They will love it.

I'm doing nothing right now. I worked hard all day long for 2 days straight in the fish room. The fish have all been separated by strain into heir own tanks. All tanks have been perfectly scrubbed down. Sponge filters have been squeezed, Magnum filers changed out and Cloroxed. And 90% water change was done on all the tanks. I'm whupped, but I'm proud of myself.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:34 PM   #25699
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
Now that is a great story. Would you object to me posting it to my fish forum? They will love it.

I'm doing nothing right now. I worked hard all day long for 2 days straight in the fish room. The fish have all been separated by strain into heir own tanks. All tanks have been perfectly scrubbed down. Sponge filters have been squeezed, Magnum filers changed out and Cloroxed. And 90% water change was done on all the tanks. I'm whupped, but I'm proud of myself.
Feel free to post it to the fish forum.
I still giggle at the sight of a 6'5 man running away from the catfish.
That occurred sometime between 1976 and 1979.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:46 PM   #25700
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinisajoy View Post
Not only can some fish recognize faces, they can also at times recognize what they perceive as a threat and in some cases will react.
When I was a kid we had a walking catfish as a pet. He also had a small hole in his head. Mom said it was from a disease he had recovered from. Dad said it was from a 22.
Anyway, the fish liked us kids. Sometimes if we opened the tank to feed him, he would jump on our hand to be let out. We would play with him for a bit then put him back up. Note: I think it was either 150 or 200 gallon tanks. One of the big ones.
One evening, we had just put the fish back in his tank but hadn't closed the lid yet. Dad came through the front door drunk and in a mood. He made the mistake of yelling at us kids. Next thing we saw was a catfish come flying out of the tank, slide down the arm of the couch and start chasing dad. Of course, our cat came flying out of the other room and started chasing dad. He opened the front door and took off. The fish and the cat were hot on his heels. Dad ran out in the yard. The animals stopped at the edge of the porch and just glared at him. He could not get back on the porch because of teeth and claws. US kids went out, picked up the fish and told the cat she had done good.
I wish I had a video camera back then.
The catfish got put in his tank and the lid shut. The cat stood at the door until dad apologized and started acting civil.
I can't tell if you're serious or kidding but puts me in mind of a catfish Woodie Guthrie once met. Wrote about it in a song called Talking Fishing Blues. Seems he caught this giant catfish, saddled him up and rode him to town.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote