"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-28-2016, 06:07 PM   #25811
Chef Extraordinaire

Huh?

I am sitting in a state of semi-shock Last February I ordered three small wastebaskets from Lowes to replace my old ones that were beaten up very badly. I got an email saying that they had been delivered. I went downstairs and no package. I called the 800 number and told them I never got the package. They immediately contacted the Lowes nearest to where I live and had a replacement package delivered within an hour. And at no additional charge. I was very happy with the service and sent them an email telling them so.

Today I had a mid-day appointment. It took a lot out of me. I get home and was in a deep sleep nap, when a hard knock woke me right up. My neighbor with a large package at her feet. It was for me. I open it and there are three wastebaskets from Lowes. I look at the invoice. The date says "Date of order 2/12/2016." Better late than never? Now what do I do? Keep them? Send them back letting them know their error? The whole order was for $25.00. Will the $25.00 cause them a bookkeeping problem if I keep them? Will someone lose their job over this error on their part? This last one is what is causing me the most grief. I don't ever want to be responsible for that event.

They were shipped from NC. They included a return shipping label. Deep down inside of me I really have a very strong sense of doing the right thing, even if at a cost to myself.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:09 PM   #25812
Certified Pretend Chef

Call and ask what they want you to do.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:23 PM   #25813
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It is late in the day, so that will have to happen tomorrow. I did send an email, but no response yet.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #25814
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I called their 800 number. Told them the whole story. They apologized for the mix up and late delivery. Told me to keep the baskets and enjoy them.

Now my conscience is clear.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:35 PM   #25815
Chef Extraordinaire

At 4:30 this afternoon I will be heading down to the Community Room. Management is tossing us a BBQ party. The guy that does all the cooking marinates everything in Italian dressing. Oh joy! Not my favorite way to do BBQ. I will make a short appearance and come right back upstairs.

The rule "Residents Only." It should be interesting to see how many make up a big dish for some friend that doesn't live here. The Manager flipped out the last time this was tried. Can't say that I blame them. These parties are thrown for the residents. Not the whole neighborhood. It is always the same people.

Oh well, time to get dressed and head downstairs.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #25816
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
At 4:30 this afternoon I will be heading down to the Community Room. Management is tossing us a BBQ party. The guy that does all the cooking marinates everything in Italian dressing. Oh joy! Not my favorite way to do BBQ. I will make a short appearance and come right back upstairs.

The rule "Residents Only." It should be interesting to see how many make up a big dish for some friend that doesn't live here. The Manager flipped out the last time this was tried. Can't say that I blame them. These parties are thrown for the residents. Not the whole neighborhood. It is always the same people.

Oh well, time to get dressed and head downstairs.
Addie....if you're not happy with the way management hosts a FREE BBQ party with good intentions, why bother to complain about it here? Just don't go.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:50 PM   #25817
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Addie....if you're not happy with the way management hosts a FREE BBQ party with good intentions, why bother to complain about it here? Just don't go.
I have chosen a couple of times to skip the parties. But then they send someone up to my apartment to check on me and ask why I am not downstairs. The inquisition continues for the following week. It is just easier to go down, stay for about 45 minutes and then leave. That way my privacy stays in tact.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:12 PM   #25818
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
That way my privacy stays in tact.
I fail to see why you are worried about your privacy when you have posted every possible detail about your life on this website.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:38 AM   #25819
Chef Extraordinaire

I am sitting here blowing my nose like crazy. It is 73F. outside and almost 80F inside. I don't feel cold. So I put on a sweater. Hope that helps.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #25820
Chef Extraordinaire

I was sitting watching television and all of a sudden my heart started to race. Uh Oh! I know that feeling too well. I took a hit of my liquid nitrogen. Waited ten minutes, no change, took a second hit. Ten minutes later I really do not feel very good. Took an aspirin and told Pirate to call 911. They were at my door almost instantly. Fire Department arrived first. Gave me oxygen. Usually that helps. Not this time. Medics gave me another shot of the liquid nitrogen. That helped a little. I still had the pain in both arms and now in the middle of my chest. They get me bundled up on the litter, and into the ambulance. Of course all the lobby owls were there to see who was going out. (I hate that!)

I had four medics working on me. I was in the ER for six hours. It seems I wasn't having a heart attack. I was having a Heart Episode. Of course they kept me overnight. But the doctors told me I did everything right. That was good to hear.

In the bed next to me was a man. He had a lot of people really working on him. He was very young. It seems he was drunk and fell. In that fall, he hid his head real hard and had a very large gash. He also broke his neck. It took them quite a while to bring him too. I quietly asked my nurse how he was. They think he may not be paralyzed. The good thing is that when he hit his head, he knocked himself out and didn't try to move.

Now yesterday was July 1st. The day all the brand spanking new doctors get their long white coats and report to their assigned hospitals. Groups of them were going through the ER. And they all had to stop at the bed next door. It brought back memories of when Poo got his long jacket. He drove all the way up from Connecticut to show me. I can't stop thinking about the patient next to me. A young man who may be facing a life changing situation. Every time he crosses my mind, a small little prayer is sent up.

Me, I am fine. A lot better off then him.