"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-07-2016, 03:51 PM   #25831
Master Chef

Wow, Katie, what an exciting day - and NOT in a good way. I'm sure your friend was glad to have you by her as a calming force. Glad you both made it through the tornado safely.

I hope today's storms aren't as bad and that you're all safe.

I'm resting up in preparation to keep up with our son once again. Tonight we're off to a talk by a rock and roll photographer and one of the artist's she's done shots of - Chrissie Hynde of "The Pretenders", an Akron native. Goober figured that Himself would enjoy it for the photographic angle and that's I'd enjoy the musician part. I probably won't tell Goober that his Dad doesn't think much of celebrity photographers and I'm not so much of a Pretenders fan. We'll just (wait for it...) pretend. At least we'll be sitting down.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:31 AM   #25832
Head Chef

Trying to decide whether to laugh or be irritated. We have a black, smooth shiny finish fridge that in the mornings becomes a mirror because of the sun. Arwin, our pug, sees herself in the "mirror" and thinks there is another pug there. She doesn't bark, she just stands there and snuffles it and scratches at the "other pug" trying to get to it. So, of course, the bottom third of the fridge is covered with pug snuffles and footprints. At least Strider, the other pug, doesn't do that.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #25833
Everymom

medtran, we call what's left behind "pupkiss"

Just starting my day on the elliptical. BAH! I hate exercise that seems pointless, but my walking partner is off camping with her family. Guess I'll survive a week or so of going nowhere special on my "walk"
Old 07-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #25834
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Beagle has managed to noseprint every window in the sun room for about 3 feet up, protecting us from the neighbors' cats. Apparently it is her mission. And washing windows has never been my forté.

We are headed out shortly to leap in the water.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:07 PM   #25835
Chef Extraordinaire

Teddy thinks he is a Great Dane even though he is a Maltese. Let someone he doesn't know, get to close to any of us, and he gets right in the middle and starts barking.

I just got off the phone with Crazy Cat Lady. She is fine and working part time. It wasn't a long call as I am almost out of minutes. I had called her and got no answer. So when she saw my number, she called me back. It seems she has too many people leeching on her Wi Fi and it is causing problems. She is trying to get the problem corrected.

Just thought some of you would like an update. BTW, Cat, Carl and the baby are back home. But will be back at the end of August or in September.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:31 PM   #25836
Certified Pretend Chef

Listening Mozart's Piano Concerto #21 on my brand new Beats headphones! A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned to my daughter that I had the opportunity to try Beats and thought they were amazing. Just a little while ago the doorbell rang and the USPS guy handed me a box. It had her name and our address so I thought it was a gift for her DH she wanted to keep as a surprise. I texted her and she said it was for me. What a surprise when I opened it!
Old 07-09-2016, 03:41 PM   #25837
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Busy preparing things for another whacking from Mother Nature. We were caught a little off guard last night. Never anticipated the power being off for 6 hours...or at all the way the storm was shaping up. Changed real quickly.

In the end the power was off for 6 hours. Was restored about 1:30 a.m. but, by then, Glenn and I had gone to bed. I couldn't shower because our well pump is powered electrically. That didn't stop me. I stripped down to my birthday suit, grabbed two big buckets and availed myself of all that nice water in the pool to bathe out on the back porch. The dogs, Harley and Baxter, looked at me as if I'd lost my mind. The experience reminded me of my long ago camping days.

Not much damage out our way. Plenty of rain and some wind. Other areas were treated to straight-line winds and plenty of rain. We got off easy.

So the "what are you doing" for me is filling pitchers full of water, making sure the bathtub in the guest bathroom is full and checking around the yard and near the house for things that might be, um, flight risks.

More of the weather we've experienced since Wednesday is predicted for this afternoon and tonight. Better fasten our seat belts.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #25838
Master Chef

Katie, I'm sure you have all of your hatches battened down. Take care, stay safe, and let us know when you guys come out on the other side of this storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...I just got off the phone with Crazy Cat Lady....It seems she has too many people leeching on her Wi Fi and it is causing problems. She is trying to get the problem corrected...
IF that is CCL's problem, all she has to do is change the password for her WiFi. Ta-Dah! No more moochers.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #25839
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Katie, I'm sure you have all of your hatches battened down. Take care, stay safe, and let us know when you guys come out on the other side of this storm.
Yes, stay safe.
Quote:
IF that is CCL's problem, all she has to do is change the password for her WiFi. Ta-Dah! No more moochers.
Or put a password.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:23 AM   #25840
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Listening Mozart's Piano Concerto #21 on my brand new Beats headphones! A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned to my daughter that I had the opportunity to try Beats and thought they were amazing. Just a little while ago the doorbell rang and the USPS guy handed me a box. It had her name and our address so I thought it was a gift for her DH she wanted to keep as a surprise. I texted her and she said it was for me. What a surprise when I opened it!
That's way cool Andy! What a lovely thing for her to do for her Dad!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote