"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #2581
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I'm sitting here being flabbergasted. I was just informed that I have been nominated for a "Best Costume Design" award for a costume I designed for an area theatre production. I was asked last year to help them out with a particularly unusual costume and apparently I delivered what they wanted.

The awards function is May 5th at the theatre. It's their equivalent of the Academy Awards. I don't think I have a prayer of winning but it is nice to be nominated.

I'd forgotten all about making the costume.
Will we see you on the Red Carpet?

Old 04-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #2582
Executive Chef

way to go, katie! recognition of one's accomplishments is always a sweet thing....

Old 04-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #2583
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H
I'm sitting here being flabbergasted. I was just informed that I have been nominated for a "Best Costume Design" award for a costume I designed for an area theatre production. I was asked last year to help them out with a particularly unusual costume and apparently I delivered what they wanted.

The awards function is May 5th at the theatre. It's their equivalent of the Academy Awards. I don't think I have a prayer of winning but it is nice to be nominated.

I'd forgotten all about making the costume.
That is SO COOL! Congrats, Katie!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #2584
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Congratulations Katie!
That must have been some costume you made. Did you get pictures of it, before and in use of it?
I'd love to see that.
No. I never thought to take any pictures. I suppose the theatre has some somewhere. All I can tell you is that the costume involved lots of knitted gold lame fabric. In fact, when the house lights were out, you could still see the actress on stage. That's how "bright" the costume was.

The running commentary was always, "Where's Shannon?"

"Oh, never mind. I see her!" That was with everything dark.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #2585
Senior Cook

Worked 12 hours 3rd shift at the old job place, then been up all day with one hour of a nap. Crazy I know.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #2586
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyAngel View Post
Worked 12 hours 3rd shift at the old job place, then been up all day with one hour of a nap. Crazy I know.
Oh, I hated days like that. Really messed up my sleep schedule.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #2587
Chef Extraordinaire

I am listening to the news about The Tintanic.

Tomorrow is Marathon Monday. The temps are supposed to be in the low to middle 90's. Not good weather for running 26 miles. They are setting up extra medical stations. There will be a lot of dropouts along the route.

Right now Boston is crazy. There have been activities going on for Patriots Day. It is a Massachusetts and Maine legal holiday. The Red Sox playing, the Bruins playing the playoffs for the Stanley Cup, and tourists galore. I am so glad I am not in town. I can't believe that there are idiots who make it a point to go there to be in the middle of all the craziness. Prices get jacked up. Some places are charging $3.00 and up for a bottle of cold water. The gouging police are out in full force. I remember when I was single and worked in town. I used to be part of that crazy crowd.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #2588
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm not looking forward to the evening news where we will be treated to repeated shots of runners passing out on the course, being carried away on stretchers or laying down in a tent receiving medical treatment because they pushed too hard in the heat.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #2589
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm not looking forward to the evening news where we will be treated to repeated shots of runners passing out on the course, being carried away on stretchers or laying down in a tent receiving medical treatment because they pushed too hard in the heat.
I hear ya Andy. The Marathon it seems is the only news. The folks who run the Marathon are asking the people who don't run a marathon on a regular basis to pass it up this year. But they won't. They all think they have super human bodies.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #2590
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I hear ya Andy. The Marathon it seems is the only news. The folks who run the Marathon are asking the people who don't run a marathon on a regular basis to pass it up this year. But they won't. They all think they have super human bodies.
Some of the amateurs have been training for months to run the marathon so they can say they did it. Waiting until next year would mean training all over again. They won't want to make that investment.