"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2016, 05:12 PM   #25891
Master Chef

I made a typo, Katie. I meant griDler. 😁 I've had mine for at least a decade and love it. Now, did you use the flat plates or the ridged ones?

Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:50 PM   #25892
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I made a typo, Katie. I meant griDler. 😁 I've had mine for at least a decade and love it. Now, did you use the flat plates or the ridged ones?
I used the ridged plates because it allows the grease to flow away more freely. Before we got the griddler, I used our waffle iron.

One of the benefits of preparing the bacon this way is that cooking it in this manner presses the pieces (kind of welds) together. Makes a nice solid large sandwich-sized sheet of bacon.

To cut the bacon easily, I slice at the halfway point across all the pieces, right through the plastic packaging, and weave. The trickiest part is transferring the uncooked woven bacon to the griddler. It's trial and error and something you'll have to find what works best for you.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #25893
Honey Badger

Going to try an acupuncture treatment today. Hubby has finally wore me down to at least try another alternative.

It's my first time. Might be my last if she gets stupid and picks me and hurts me.

Anyone here ever try it? How did it go?
Old 07-26-2016, 01:09 PM   #25894
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Going to try an acupuncture treatment today. Hubby has finally wore me down to at least try another alternative.

It's my first time. Might be my last if she gets stupid and picks me and hurts me.

A young M.D. used one acupuncture needle on me for an inflammation in an inflamed muscle in my bum. It didn't hurt, just a small prick sensation. It didn't seem to do anything for the inflammation.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:28 PM   #25895
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post

I tried it for intractable chronic headache. The doctor was an MD who works in the same clinic as my family doctor, who recommended him (although I don't think my family doc believes in acupuncture; he knew I was out of other options and that it wouldn't hurt). The only medication that prevents my headaches also damages my small intestine.

Don't kid yourself - it will hurt. It's like getting a whole lot of shots. After the needles are inserted, the doctor said I needed to lie quietly for about 20 minutes. I have a guided meditation app called Simply Being on my phone, so I listened to that during that time. I did this for about four months but it didn't help.

Here's the app, if you're interested: Apps — Meditation Oasis
Old 07-26-2016, 01:32 PM   #25896
Chef Extraordinaire

Back in the '70s, my tai chi teacher, an old Chinese man who was also a doctor of Chinese medicine, did some acupressure on me. He told me how to explain to my boyfriend how to do it. He also told me to do some specific visualization. It took care of the problem.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:01 PM   #25897
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Back in the '70s, my tai chi teacher, an old Chinese man who was also a doctor of Chinese medicine, did some acupressure on me. He told me how to explain to my boyfriend how to do it. He also told me to do some specific visualization. It took care of the problem.
The doctor who does acupuncture at my doctor's clinic is from NYC. He learned acupuncture from Chinese doctors in NY's Chinatown. So he's well qualified, considering it's not proven medicine.

I'm glad you're feeling better.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:47 PM   #25898
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Just got home from my HS reunion. A very long road trip, but it was a blast! Got to see so many old friends and lots of family members. I didn't get any speeding tickets either (thank you, Garmin GPS and cruise control!). Now to catch up on DC.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:03 PM   #25899
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The doctor who does acupuncture at my doctor's clinic is from NYC. He learned acupuncture from Chinese doctors in NY's Chinatown. So he's well qualified, considering it's not proven medicine.

I'm glad you're feeling better.
So am I. MDs had told me the only hope to deal with it was surgery and that it might not do any good. But this was acupressure, not acupuncture.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #25900
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I tried it for intractable chronic headache. The doctor was an MD who works in the same clinic as my family doctor, who recommended him (although I don't think my family doc believes in acupuncture; he knew I was out of other options and that it wouldn't hurt). The only medication that prevents my headaches also damages my small intestine.

Don't kid yourself - it will hurt. It's like getting a whole lot of shots. After the needles are inserted, the doctor said I needed to lie quietly for about 20 minutes. I have a guided meditation app called Simply Being on my phone, so I listened to that during that time. I did this for about four months but it didn't help.

Here's the app, if you're interested: Apps — Meditation Oasis
All went well GG. Thank you for the app. It's been d/l'd to my phone for home use. The Dr showed me a trick that will help me to relax and not get all tensed up that's been setting off my shoulders and back pain.

The acupuncture went went better that I had expected it to go.
The Dr had spent many years in China learning the practice. She was good. I only felt one little sting. She took that needle out real quick. Inserted a smaller one. She helped me more in one session than the Chiropractor had been doing. I left his office in more pain than when I walked in. It wasn't working. He was good, tried to help me, but I think my size body scared him. He always made the comment "she's tiny, I don't want to hurt or break her bones!" Having my husband standing over him to make sure that never happened probably made him nervous.