"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-24-2016, 05:12 PM   #25891
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,770
I made a typo, Katie. I meant griDler. 😁 I've had mine for at least a decade and love it. Now, did you use the flat plates or the ridged ones?
__________________

__________________
"Cooking is the art of adjustment." ~~~Jacques Pépin
“A party without cake is just a meeting.” ~Julia Child
"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind." ~~~ Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:50 PM   #25892
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I made a typo, Katie. I meant griDler. 😁 I've had mine for at least a decade and love it. Now, did you use the flat plates or the ridged ones?
I used the ridged plates because it allows the grease to flow away more freely. Before we got the griddler, I used our waffle iron.

One of the benefits of preparing the bacon this way is that cooking it in this manner presses the pieces (kind of welds) together. Makes a nice solid large sandwich-sized sheet of bacon.

To cut the bacon easily, I slice at the halfway point across all the pieces, right through the plastic packaging, and weave. The trickiest part is transferring the uncooked woven bacon to the griddler. It's trial and error and something you'll have to find what works best for you.
__________________

__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #25893
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,329
Going to try an acupuncture treatment today. Hubby has finally wore me down to at least try another alternative.

It's my first time. Might be my last if she gets stupid and picks me and hurts me.

Anyone here ever try it? How did it go?
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:09 PM   #25894
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,244
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Going to try an acupuncture treatment today. Hubby has finally wore me down to at least try another alternative.

It's my first time. Might be my last if she gets stupid and picks me and hurts me.

Anyone here ever try it? How did it go?
A young M.D. used one acupuncture needle on me for an inflammation in an inflamed muscle in my bum. It didn't hurt, just a small prick sensation. It didn't seem to do anything for the inflammation.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:28 PM   #25895
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 18,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Going to try an acupuncture treatment today. Hubby has finally wore me down to at least try another alternative.

It's my first time. Might be my last if she gets stupid and picks me and hurts me.

Anyone here ever try it? How did it go?
I tried it for intractable chronic headache. The doctor was an MD who works in the same clinic as my family doctor, who recommended him (although I don't think my family doc believes in acupuncture; he knew I was out of other options and that it wouldn't hurt). The only medication that prevents my headaches also damages my small intestine.

Don't kid yourself - it will hurt. It's like getting a whole lot of shots. After the needles are inserted, the doctor said I needed to lie quietly for about 20 minutes. I have a guided meditation app called Simply Being on my phone, so I listened to that during that time. I did this for about four months but it didn't help.

Here's the app, if you're interested: Apps — Meditation Oasis
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:32 PM   #25896
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,244
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Back in the '70s, my tai chi teacher, an old Chinese man who was also a doctor of Chinese medicine, did some acupressure on me. He told me how to explain to my boyfriend how to do it. He also told me to do some specific visualization. It took care of the problem.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:01 PM   #25897
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 18,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Back in the '70s, my tai chi teacher, an old Chinese man who was also a doctor of Chinese medicine, did some acupressure on me. He told me how to explain to my boyfriend how to do it. He also told me to do some specific visualization. It took care of the problem.
The doctor who does acupuncture at my doctor's clinic is from NYC. He learned acupuncture from Chinese doctors in NY's Chinatown. So he's well qualified, considering it's not proven medicine.

I'm glad you're feeling better.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:47 PM   #25898
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,075
Just got home from my HS reunion. A very long road trip, but it was a blast! Got to see so many old friends and lots of family members. I didn't get any speeding tickets either (thank you, Garmin GPS and cruise control!). Now to catch up on DC.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:03 PM   #25899
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,244
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The doctor who does acupuncture at my doctor's clinic is from NYC. He learned acupuncture from Chinese doctors in NY's Chinatown. So he's well qualified, considering it's not proven medicine.

I'm glad you're feeling better.
So am I. MDs had told me the only hope to deal with it was surgery and that it might not do any good. But this was acupressure, not acupuncture.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #25900
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I tried it for intractable chronic headache. The doctor was an MD who works in the same clinic as my family doctor, who recommended him (although I don't think my family doc believes in acupuncture; he knew I was out of other options and that it wouldn't hurt). The only medication that prevents my headaches also damages my small intestine.

Don't kid yourself - it will hurt. It's like getting a whole lot of shots. After the needles are inserted, the doctor said I needed to lie quietly for about 20 minutes. I have a guided meditation app called Simply Being on my phone, so I listened to that during that time. I did this for about four months but it didn't help.

Here's the app, if you're interested: Apps — Meditation Oasis
All went well GG. Thank you for the app. It's been d/l'd to my phone for home use. The Dr showed me a trick that will help me to relax and not get all tensed up that's been setting off my shoulders and back pain.

The acupuncture went went better that I had expected it to go.
The Dr had spent many years in China learning the practice. She was good. I only felt one little sting. She took that needle out real quick. Inserted a smaller one. She helped me more in one session than the Chiropractor had been doing. I left his office in more pain than when I walked in. It wasn't working. He was good, tried to help me, but I think my size body scared him. He always made the comment "she's tiny, I don't want to hurt or break her bones!" Having my husband standing over him to make sure that never happened probably made him nervous.
__________________

__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.