"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-05-2016, 01:11 AM   #26001
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
It is worth checking with the insurance company...
I did check with the insurance company. That's how I know it was 65. For the last couple of years I've thought "have to get it when I turn 65". Well, I'm here! Guess what? I keep forgetting. *shaking my head*

Old 08-05-2016, 05:28 AM   #26002
Certified Cake Maniac

I am sitting up at 2:30 am nursing another kidney stone and catching up here to pass the time as I wait to pass the stone (sorry, bad pun and TMI)

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:17 AM   #26003
Chef Extraordinaire

Good Morning. Well today is the opening ceremonies for the Olympic Games. I am so looking forward to it. Michael Phelps will be the flag bearer for the U.S. He certainly deserves the honor. He has earned more medals than any other athlete.

Some of our South Shore beaches are closed to swimming. And today is going to be a hot one. The rip tides and currents are too strong and dangerous for the swimmers. Better safe than sorry. I can't remember the last year that I even owned a swimming suit.

I am in the midst of a dilemma. Our nightly temps having been dropping to the low 60's. I like to keep the window open and the AC off. But by 3 a.m. it is very chilly, maybe even downright cold in this room. It wakes me up even though I have doubled my blanker, and have to get up and close the window. Sometimes I can get right back to sleep, but not this past night. That means an intense need for more sleep will hit me in the middle of the afternoon. Do I close the window or leave it open. That is my dilemma. I hate small problems like this. Give me a big one. Like bringing peace to all the world.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #26004
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm getting ready to finalize two more freezer meals for my FIL. This is the first time I've ever made galumpkis (stuffed cabbage rolls).

I'm also making a modified lasagna dish and my FIL likes the sauce so much, I'm using it for the cabbage rolls as well. Then we'll make posole this afternoon. I'll count all the mini loaf pans later and see how many meals we made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1470415109663.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	25120  
Old 08-05-2016, 05:18 PM   #26005
Honey Badger

Enjoying our last few hours of peace and quiet. *sigh*

Our guys were in L.A. for a concert, have been gone for a few days.
Hubby and I enjoyed the time alone.

Our dogs were bad to the bone. They played us both for suckers. By manipulating us about their chewie meds. I gave them one early in the morning. Let hubby sleep in. When he woke up they showed him the bucket with the look she forgot to give them to us. So they got a double dose.

Sons loved hearing how we were played for fools.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:33 AM   #26006
Chef Extraordinaire

A Night Of Disaster

One of our tenants a couple of months ago had a stroke. He required brain surgery. He refused to go to rehab and wanted to come home immediately instead. Since then he has had another stroke.

Tonight around 7:30 water was pouring through my ceiling. I call the emergency line. It too them about 30 minutes to respond. They checked the apartment above me. She too was being flooded out. Broken pipe inside the walls? Nope. They couldn't find any. So after three hours of looking for the leak, the plumber knocked on the door of #313. There is Danny, standing stark naked and water all over his apartment. And his faucet is running full open. It seems somewhere around 7 or thereabouts, he turned the faucet on and forgot how to turn the water off or how to unplug the sink. Instead he put large towels in the sink so it would soften the sound of the running water. So that means four apartments have to have walls and insulation completely replaced. And two ceilings here on my floor. (including mine). And with all the water on the floors, some of the tiles have been popping up. New floors also. But first, they have to give the apartments time to dry out.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #26007
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm getting ready to finalize two more freezer meals for my FIL. This is the first time I've ever made galumpkis (stuffed cabbage rolls).

I'm also making a modified lasagna dish and my FIL likes the sauce so much, I'm using it for the cabbage rolls as well. Then we'll make posole this afternoon. I'll count all the mini loaf pans later and see how many meals we made.
Finished galumpkis and almost-finished stuffed peppers! I forgot to count all the meals we made, but DH said it's over 70.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1470578663953.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	25127   Click image for larger version

Name:	1470578680622.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	25128  

Old 08-07-2016, 03:56 PM   #26008
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Finished galumpkis and almost-finished stuffed peppers! I forgot to count all the meals we made, but DH said it's over 70.
Wow, I'm really impressed. You are a kind person.

Are you going to freeze them as is or cook them first?
Old 08-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #26009
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Wow, I'm really impressed. You are a kind person.

Are you going to freeze them as is or cook them first?
Aw, thank you We froze them as is. I think things like this overcook easily if you cook, freeze and reheat. That's what we did last November the first time we cooked for him and it worked well.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #26010
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Aw, thank you We froze them as is. I think things like this overcook easily if you cook, freeze and reheat. That's what we did last November the first time we cooked for him and it worked well.
Good thinking. I usually only freeze leftovers and they often get overcooked if one isn't careful when reheating.