"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-10-2016, 12:35 AM   #26021
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Cooking green chili, again and tearing up the unfortunate laminate flooring in the kitchen and dining room. Admiring the stove and happy I don't see that yellow eyesore anymore.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:58 AM   #26022
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,241
PF, it sounds like you are having way too much fun ripping things up! You go, girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Watching Olympic men's swimming!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Me too! They not only can swim, but are quite easy on the eyes.
Himself looks like them. Really, except I do mean "them". Like, two of them in one body. He claims his one-swimmer body is hidden under a fat suit, but I ain't buying it.

*****************

Haven't been here because I've been getting over a case of the "24-hour flu-ood". Himself has a cast-iron stomach, but I'm thinking that turkey breast was a wee too old to cook and eat. The leftovers will be tossed.
__________________

__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:42 PM   #26023
Head Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 1,799
Just came back from checking on the progress on our new home

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2926.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	25148

I could just cry!
We got to talk with the Construction Manager while there, and he's confident that our next walk-thru (Pre-Dry Wall) will be in 2 weeks!
I could just cry!
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:02 PM   #26024
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Just came back from checking on the progress on our new home

Attachment 25148

I could just cry!
We got to talk with the Construction Manager while there, and he's confident that our next walk-thru (Pre-Dry Wall) will be in 2 weeks!
I could just cry!
((Kgirl))) Are those happy tears? Hope so. It looks like it's going great!
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:33 PM   #26025
Head Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
((Kgirl))) Are those happy tears? Hope so. It looks like it's going great!
YES!!! I am so very excited and just can't believe that we're doing this all over again.
Our last home, that we just sold in May, we were no where near any of the construction phase, as we still lived in Hawaii.
SO EXCITING!
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:36 PM   #26026
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,089
I was a bit worried about you, Kgirl, so I'm happy to know this is a good thing!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:21 AM   #26027
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Just came back from checking on the progress on our new home

Attachment 25148

I could just cry!
We got to talk with the Construction Manager while there, and he's confident that our next walk-thru (Pre-Dry Wall) will be in 2 weeks!
I could just cry!
If you are waiting for permission to cry, then here it is! Have a good cry.

I am sitting here with the AC on high and enjoying my first cool moment all day. The temp outside is 78F. and the humidity is 87%. When it was 90F. this afternoon we had a short spell of light rain. That only made it worse. And the weather is going to be like this until next Monday. We get a break on Tuesday.

I have had the AC on high all day and the windows open. I know it sounds crazy. But the workmen want it that way to try and get the walls dry by Monday. Unless I am going outside for any length of time, then I can plug the huge fans in and let them do their job. But they make so much noise, that even with the TV turned up as high as it will go, you still can't hear it unless you are right in front of it. I know. I have tried. I am making every effort to cooperate with them. But there is a limit. And those fans are the limit. But the good new is that.....

The fellow in #312 that created all this mess for himself and three other tenants has been taken to a hospital. He turned the faucet on and then forgot how to turn it off. So he put a couple of his heavy jogging type pants in the sink, thinking it would stop the water from running.

A few months back he had brain surgery for a tumor. Then when he came home he had a stroke a couple of weeks later. He hasn't been right since then. So yesterday he took a walk to the corner deli and ordered a deli sandwich to be delivered to his mother, who just happens to be in rehab from surgery. She is in her late 90's. The owner of the deli saw that something was wrong and called an ambulance for him. I need to go to the deli and thank them. And buy a sandwich also. Everyone here tried to keep an eye on him, but that could be a 24 hr. job.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:55 AM   #26028
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Just came back from checking on the progress on our new home

I could just cry!
We got to talk with the Construction Manager while there, and he's confident that our next walk-thru (Pre-Dry Wall) will be in 2 weeks!
I could just cry!
I am so excited for you, K-Girl! We contracted to build all three of our houses, the first two close to where we were living at the time. This third one was build mostly remotely, with me driving in from OH to check on it a couple of times during construction. The though of buying a "used" house when we move back scares me - I don't know how to do that!

Take pictures and more pictures. You will look back on that record for years to come. Have fun with this adventure.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:52 AM   #26029
Head Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
If you are waiting for permission to cry, then here it is! Have a good cry.

I am sitting here with the AC on high and enjoying my first cool moment all day. The temp outside is 78F. and the humidity is 87%. When it was 90F. this afternoon we had a short spell of light rain. That only made it worse. And the weather is going to be like this until next Monday. We get a break on Tuesday.

I have had the AC on high all day and the windows open. I know it sounds crazy. But the workmen want it that way to try and get the walls dry by Monday. Unless I am going outside for any length of time, then I can plug the huge fans in and let them do their job. But they make so much noise, that even with the TV turned up as high as it will go, you still can't hear it unless you are right in front of it. I know. I have tried. I am making every effort to cooperate with them. But there is a limit. And those fans are the limit. But the good new is that.....

The fellow in #312 that created all this mess for himself and three other tenants has been taken to a hospital. He turned the faucet on and then forgot how to turn it off. So he put a couple of his heavy jogging type pants in the sink, thinking it would stop the water from running.

A few months back he had brain surgery for a tumor. Then when he came home he had a stroke a couple of weeks later. He hasn't been right since then. So yesterday he took a walk to the corner deli and ordered a deli sandwich to be delivered to his mother, who just happens to be in rehab from surgery. She is in her late 90's. The owner of the deli saw that something was wrong and called an ambulance for him. I need to go to the deli and thank them. And buy a sandwich also. Everyone here tried to keep an eye on him, but that could be a 24 hr. job.
I would think the fact that he turned the water on, left it running, and plugged up the sink, causing water damage to his place and other's would have been reason enough to have him checked out in the hospital, medically and psychiatrically. Sounds like he doesn't need to be living alone and unsupervised. I'd be horribly worried about him leaving the stove on and causing a fire.... You'd think your apartment management would do something about it if nothing else.
__________________
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:12 PM   #26030
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,156
I am putting my feet up and TAKIN' 5!!

Ever since shortly after breakfast, I have been in the kitchen "playing in food" in one form or another.

First, I wove and cooked nearly 4 pounds of bacon into what we call sandwich slabs for BLTs, which are on the horizon based on the volume of tomatoes about to ripen.

That wasn't too difficult a task because the Cuisinart griddler did all the hot part. The weaving part was a bit tedious but it's all done and I won't have to do it for a good long while. Made enough to put plenty in the freezer.

Baked two loaves of bread yesterday and have a head of lettuce at the ready, so "come on, tomatoes!"

During some of the "down" time with the bacon I cooked the sausage filling for a stuffed banana pepper recipe. The peppers are almost there and I plan to be ready when there are enough to make this dish.

I'm pretty sure I overdid it and will pay later today but, at the time, I felt pretty good and blazed on. I kinda have to take advantage of my better moments because, sometimes, my days don't go as I'd like.

Kind of funny, though, I have no idea what I'm going to make for supper. Bit of a cosmic joke, isn't it?
__________________

__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.