"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-15-2016, 09:24 PM   #26041
Master Chef

Just got done filing my State and Federal taxes on Turbo Tax and I feeling good!

Old 08-15-2016, 10:51 PM   #26042
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Just got done filing my State and Federal taxes on Turbo Tax and I feeling good!
I am hoping you had an extension. Here we are in the middle of August. I am just tickled pink knowing you didn't use H&R Block. I hesitate to say anything disparaging, but I cringe every time I hear of someone going to them.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:54 PM   #26043
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am hoping you had an extension. Here we are in the middle of August. I am just tickled pink knowing you didn't use H&R Block. I hesitate to say anything disparaging, but I cringe every time I hear of someone going to them.
If H&R Block in the US is like it is in Canada, it's the luck of the draw. Some of the tax preparers are incompetent or just don't care. Then there are the ones who like doing income tax and might do a better job than most accountants. (Because most accountants don't like doing income tax. They just do it because it's part of the job.)
Old 08-15-2016, 11:10 PM   #26044
Chef Extraordinaire

What I was referring to was passing along wrong information and thus costing the client a lot of money in deductions. My neighbor upstairs had taken on three stepchildren. Then during the course of the marriage, added three of his own. H&R every year told him that he couldn't claim the step kids. I got the instruction booklet that every filer receives and highlighted the paragraph giving him the correct information. I then helped him file an amended claim for the affected years and reported the offending H&R office. They were closed down and assessed a large fine.

I realize that a lot of the folks do this just for some extra money. But why should the customer be penalized for their laziness. Me, I always loved bookkeeping. My only type of math that I could comprehend.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:12 PM   #26045
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That's what I was saying. The luck of the draw. That person didn't get one of the good preparers.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:01 AM   #26046
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I've never had a problem with H&R Block.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:36 AM   #26047
Head Chef

DD had a snake problem too recently. One managed to somehow get into the pool cage. I told her one of the screens is loose but she swears they are all tight... Anyway, she is deathly afraid of snakes and most reptiles, though she loves turtles, chameleons and poison dart frogs (go figure), which is weird, gets even more weird because when she was a young tween she liked snakes and used to chase after the "uzzies" when she was little. DD's DH wasn't home and wasn't going to be home for a while when she saw the snake and the oldest GD was standing by the sliding door shrieking and saying she wasn't going out there until it was gone (they take the dogs in and out to potty thru the pool cage area). DD decided she was going to have to woman up and shoo the snake outside because she was afraid the snake would hide somewhere in the cage and they'd never know when it was going to pop out if she didn't get rid of it. Between a push broom and the water hose she finally managed to get it out the screen door but it took her a while because the snake was being very uncooperative according to DD.

A funny store about DD and snakes. As a teenager, it was often quite difficult to get her up and going in the morning (something parents of all teens are familiar with). One morning I was having a lot more trouble than usual getting her up and we needed to be somewhere. At the time, Craig had quite a collection of Emerald Tree Boas from babies to adults. So, I went in her room, sat down on her bed, as she was pulling covers back over her head, took a couple of my fingers and pushing down on the covers went slithering up her body like the Emeralds moved, saying good morning from Mr. Snake. She catapulted out of the bed, shrieking at the top of her lungs. I pretty much ended up on my butt on the floor between her getting out of the bed like that and laughing so hardI was crying. All it took was the threat from then on.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:51 AM   #26048
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I've never had a problem with H&R Block.
I have. I had the simplest of self-employed tax return and they assured me I qualified for the Obama stimulus package. I payed them something like $220.00. I'd done my own tax returns before this, but wanted to have everything in order for that stimulus package. I then go to the site to retrieve that stimulus package benefit and find out H&R didn't do their math right and I didn't qualify for the stimulus package, after paying them $220.00. Thanks a lot H&R Block, you block heads. I should have tried doing it myself.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #26049
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Medtran, do you and Craig still raise Emeralds?
Old 08-16-2016, 12:22 PM   #26050
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Oh yes, of course, I filed an extension earlier in the year, and no money owed. I just get lazy with filing my personal returns after filing a partnership return plus all the 1099's for the independent contractors on time earlier in the year.

I tried Tax Act (H&R Block) once and just could not go through with it. The software was not user friendly at all at the time. That was like 5 years ago.