"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-16-2016, 12:32 PM   #26051
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

I use Taxact, and really like it. It does have a few perplexing glitches that have caused me to pull my hair out a few times, but once I figure them out, it's very quick and easy. I've used it for at least 8 years.

I didn't realize it was an H&R Block product.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:43 PM   #26052
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Medtran, do you and Craig still raise Emeralds?
No. Besides the fact that the market kind of dried up when the bottom fell out of the housing boom and available extra cash became extremely tight, they are very time consuming to care for if done properly, especially if you have multiples. Craig got busy doing other things and the snakes weren't and never were my passion so I'd take care of the babies when we had them (smaller, gentler hands since Emerald babies spines are very fragile and more patience if we had to be taught how to eat), but I really had no interest in spending the time necessary to take care of the adults all the time. We slowly sold most of the collection, had a couple of females die because they became egg bound (they bear live young, but carry the eggs inside until birth when the babies break out). He kept a male and female, but the male just recently up and died on us, no idea why, he had eaten okay just recently, and acted okay up until the a.m. we found him at bottom of his cage.

If you are asking because you or somebody you know want one, I can check and see if any of the good breeders we knew are still in the biz and give you some names.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:49 PM   #26053
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

That's sad. No, we don't need a snake, (we have plenty here outside, apparently) but I remember Craig mentioning years ago one of your Emeralds being pregnant. I like snakes, but apparently DH doesn't. Also, I have a feeling that the kennel where we board Beagle during our trips would have a heart attack if I brought in a snake.

I didn't realize our native corn snakes here are constrictors, and are also sold as pets.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:10 PM   #26054
Head Chef

Quote:
That's sad. No, we don't need a snake, (we have plenty here outside, apparently) but I remember Craig mentioning years ago one of your Emeralds being pregnant. I like snakes, but apparently DH doesn't. Also, I have a feeling that the kennel where we board Beagle during our trips would have a heart attack if I brought in a snake.
Yeah, she was one of the ones that died from being egg bound. She was gorgeous too. She was actually one of the ones that got named, Velvet, and her skin/scales looked just like shaded emerald/dark green velvet. She was a sweetie too. She was wild caught but never tried to bite even once.

That's one of the good things about Emeralds, they don't have to be boarded unless you are going to be gone for longer than 2 weeks, even up to a month if they are a well established adult. Just feed them right before you leave, change the water in their bowl so they have fresh water and off you go. We always had somebody come in at least once a week just to check on things and make sure the heat in their cages was working okay (that was before they all went into 1 room we could close off from rest of house and open a window) and nobody had a messy cage, but even that wasn't really necessary.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:36 PM   #26055
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

That's a shame, Velvet was a beautiful boa in Craig's pic.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #26056
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Gack! Just picked some more tomatoes, and saw a hornet hole in the lawn. Have been nailed by those little evil nasty things before while mowing, so once it gets dark, I will hit them with my best shot with the spray.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:07 PM   #26057
Senior Cook

I've been obsessed with allrecipes lately. Reading, cooking, reviewing and taking pics.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:25 AM   #26058
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Gack! Just picked some more tomatoes, and saw a hornet hole in the lawn. Have been nailed by those little evil nasty things before while mowing, so once it gets dark, I will hit them with my best shot with the spray.
Maybe those are the holes I've been seeing in the south side yard...awful dry there, should I flood it?
Old 08-19-2016, 11:00 AM   #26059
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Maybe those are the holes I've been seeing in the south side yard...awful dry there, should I flood it?

If you see active hornets in the holes, flooding would only make them angry. (As does mowing...). Best to use hornet spray after dusk, when they're sleeping.

Hornets were very active in the hole in our yard.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #26060
Chef Extraordinaire

I am celebrating!

Finally!! My kitchen along with a new handle for the fridge, is done! Except for the floor. That is next week and I don't have to move anything big. Everything is on wheels except for the pantry cabinet. I can sit in my home and even take a nap if I so choose. It only took forever. Yea!