"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-19-2016, 05:37 PM   #26061
Executive Chef

I put up my first case of Hatch chiles today. I plan on putting up 4 cases again this year
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5124.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	25204  

Old 08-22-2016, 12:56 PM   #26062
Chef Extraordinaire

I just finished cleaning up for the cleaning people Got piles of clutter put away or thrown away, to get it out of their way. I'll take pictures of my newly spotless kitchen this afternoon for the kitchen pix thread

Old 08-22-2016, 12:57 PM   #26063
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow, Beth. Do you have any tips for speeding up prepping those peppers?
Old 08-22-2016, 01:40 PM   #26064
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Wow, Beth. Do you have any tips for speeding up prepping those peppers?
Just got back home with my second 30# case. Any place in Taos that sells chiles by the case also has roasters. You wheel the case out side the store, wait in line, the roaster takes your case(s) and a few minutes later you are off the the whole case roasted for you. When home, you put on gloves!!! and bag them up for the freezer. I am assuming this service is not available for you, so no, I don't have any tips. I am considering putting up 5 cases this year. It is sinfully easy with the roasting service.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:54 PM   #26065
Chef Extraordinaire

Darn. Yeah, the only place I know of that does that is the Whole Foods in Virginia Beach, and of course, they only roast what they sell. It's my understanding that it's a madhouse I'll just have to keep doing them by hand.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:15 PM   #26066
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
Just got back home with my second 30# case. Any place in Taos that sells chiles by the case also has roasters. You wheel the case out side the store, wait in line, the roaster takes your case(s) and a few minutes later you are off the the whole case roasted for you. When home, you put on gloves!!! and bag them up for the freezer. I am assuming this service is not available for you, so no, I don't have any tips. I am considering putting up 5 cases this year. It is sinfully easy with the roasting service.
Beth, do you remove the seeds and veins and skins before you bag them for the freezer, or just freeze them roasted whole?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #26067
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Beth, do you remove the seeds and veins before you bag them for the freezer, or just freeze them roasted whole?

I follow what the Hispanics do here and they just put the whole chiles in the freezer bags. I do know when you go to use the thawed chiles, it is very easy to skin and de-seed/devein the chiles then. The charred skins slide right off. Some people run the thawed chiles under water but I think that rinses off some of the flavor. Did I see where you got some HOT chiles!? Medium hot is the furthest I go on the dark side I put up a case of mild today which has very little heat. The medium hot chiles cause us to find some milk/sour cream/yogurt as soon as possible.

I am interested in any tips for doing this at home. Last year I had 6 chile plants and only made ristras with them. This year I have 16 plants and they are beginning to resemble my zucchini plants in terms of production

There is where I get my seeds to start the chile plants.

Hot Pepper Seeds – Green Chile Seeds, Hatch Chili Seeds – Sandia Seed Company

This year I am growing Big Jim Heritage, Hatch Green, Hatch Red, and Joe E. Parker.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:01 PM   #26068
Sous Chef

This morning I finished uploading another 300+ pictures to Photobucket. There are now 5500+ pictures and smilies there. Since I am totally anal, I have all the pics sorted into folders. There are still three folders I need to organize so I can find things when I want them. I might do that this evening.

A couple minutes ago I finished mixing the hamburger mixture and put it in the fridge to meld the flavors a little. At 4, I'll roll it into meatballs, put them under the broiler a couple minutes to let the fat all drip out, and then throw them in the crock pot with some sauce. My goal is to make meatballs like the ones that come with the Stouffer's Spaghetti and Meatballs frozen meal.

I also have to do laundry tonight and fill out a couple forms for the Housing Authority and Social Services to drop off tomorrow or the next day. And if they fix the elevator today, I suppose I should run back over to the store and let them refund me for overcharging me on the hamburger I bought. I'll be picking up some potatoes and peanut butter while I'm there.

Oh, and my cream expires tomorrow, so I guess I'll try to make butter out of what's left. No point in throwing it out.

And I wanted to work a little on the dollhouse, since it's finally cooled off some.

All that, and here I sit on the computer. *sigh*
Old 08-23-2016, 10:35 PM   #26069
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm ordering glasses online. I'm at the hair pulling stage. There are too many frames that I like. I am trying to keep it to three pairs of glasses. The good part is that they have a thingee that lets you see what the glasses will look like on. It works quite well.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:39 PM   #26070
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm ordering glasses online. I'm at the hair pulling stage. There are too many frames that I like. I am trying to keep it to three pairs of glasses. The good part is that they have a thingee that lets you see what the glasses will look like on. It works quite well.
I got only my frames on line for the grand sum of $9.00. And my health plan reimbursed me for even that. They also paid for my eye exam and lenses. I paid $60.00 for the transitional treatment to my infinity lens. So all it cost me in the end for the two pair was $60.00. Less than a pair of decent frames would have cost me. If I had chosen to take the frames my health plan offers I would have been laughed into hiding. They are so hideous.

Pirate will be ordering his next pair of glasses on line also.