"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-24-2016, 12:03 AM   #26071
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I got only my frames on line for the grand sum of $9.00. And my health plan reimbursed me for even that. They also paid for my eye exam and lenses. I paid $60.00 for the transitional treatment to my infinity lens. So all it cost me in the end for the two pair was $60.00. Less than a pair of decent frames would have cost me. If I had chosen to take the frames my health plan offers I would have been laughed into hiding. They are so hideous.

Pirate will be ordering his next pair of glasses on line also.
How did you get just the frames online? Do you bring the empty frames to the optician and have them make lenses to fit the frames?

Now that I am officially a senior citizen, RAMQ (the provincial health insurance board, sort of medicare for everyone) pays for my eye exam. I ordered three pairs of glasses for a total of U$137.44, including shipping. Stirling's health insurance we refund me 80% of that minus the $9.95 shipping.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:18 AM   #26072
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Contemplating the pork posole I'll be making at midnight...

Old 08-24-2016, 12:23 AM   #26073
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
How did you get just the frames online? Do you bring the empty frames to the optician and have them make lenses to fit the frames?

Now that I am officially a senior citizen, RAMQ (the provincial health insurance board, sort of medicare for everyone) pays for my eye exam. I ordered three pairs of glasses for a total of U$137.44, including shipping. Stirling's health insurance we refund me 80% of that minus the $9.95 shipping.
You don't have to use their lens service. I brought the frames to my eye doctor, and they ordered the lens to fit my frames. Since I had the cataract surgery, I let them do my lens. They have on record what strength my contact lens were and I could trust them.

I love being a senior citizen. I now qualify for EVERTHING!
Old 08-25-2016, 08:56 AM   #26074
Chef Extraordinaire

In the wee hour of Wednesday, I placed a rather large order with Jet and Amazon. Delivery is expected on some items today. Of course, where do you think I have to be for most of the morning? In Winthrop for my monthly checkup. And I can't cancel it either. I need a refill on ALL my medications. And they are delivered to Winthrop each month.

I will have my phone with me and can let them in with the packages.

When I looked at the shipping weight and figured up the sales taxes, I figured I saved more than $30. Amazon Prime has more than paid off this year. Whether I renew or not, I will wait to make that decision in November. But I do have my calendar marked to remind me.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:56 AM   #26075
Senior Cook

Moving into the new house!
Old 08-25-2016, 11:36 AM   #26076
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Just came in to cool off a bit. Whew! Another triple digit day, with oppressive humidity to enhance the experience.

So hot that all our plants need to be watered twice a day. I try to do it in the morning before it gets blast furnace hot and then early evening when the heat moderates a bit. It was 82F when we went to bed at 11 last night.

I don't handle the heat as well since I got sick, which makes me sad. I love being outside "playing" with all the flowers and vegetable plants.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:54 AM   #26077
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Lee View Post
Moving into the new house!
Congratulations! Pictures please. And then some more pictures. We love pictures.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:57 AM   #26078
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Just came in to cool off a bit. Whew! Another triple digit day, with oppressive humidity to enhance the experience.

So hot that all our plants need to be watered twice a day. I try to do it in the morning before it gets blast furnace hot and then early evening when the heat moderates a bit. It was 82F when we went to bed at 11 last night.

I don't handle the heat as well since I got sick, which makes me sad. I love being outside "playing" with all the flowers and vegetable plants.
I can empathize with you. It is only 83F today outside with a nice breeze. But that sun is just beating down and forcing a person inside or to find some shade. Otherwise I would be right out there sitting and working on my sewing.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:04 PM   #26079
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Congratulations! Pictures please. And then some more pictures. We love pictures.

Sure. It doesn't look too good right now, lots of boxes and open space. But I'm hoping it will be picture-worthy in a month or two. I'll definitely post pics of the kitchen. So excited about my new kitchen! (it's nothing great, but after years of my 70's apt kitchen, this kitchen is the best thing ever)!
Old 08-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #26080
Master Chef

Congratulations on your new home, Kathy Lee! You'll have so much fun decorating it with your own personal touches....once the boxes are unpacked.