"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-03-2016, 04:17 PM   #26121
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
LOL Dawg

Beth, you'll have chiles for quite some time now! Those look delicious.

I just finished my second cuppa and am fixin' to go to the local farmstand. I just can't get enough of the fresh plums and peaches. They are SOOO sweet and juicy - nothing like the tasteless dry fruit from the grocery store. Cheaper than the grocery store's, too.
Cheryl, I was working at the Western Washington Fair and the truck farmer had just pulled up to unload his peaches. He hand me two of them. One for each hand. The first bite and I had juice running down my arm and all over my shoes. After I ate both of them I returned with the pits in hand. I offered him the two pits for a third peach. He laughed and gave me a small bag of them. They were so good. I have never had a peach that fresh since that day. They were still warm from the sun. They had been picked and loaded on the truck right out in the field of the orchard. I would love to go back to that day.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:22 PM   #26122
Master Chef

Our farm stand is about a mile and a half or so from my house, so it's easy peasy. It's rather small, but I rely on them so much for great produce. This morning I got red and green bell peppers (.50 ea) tomatoes, carrots, jalapenos, cantaloupe, peaches, and plums. Scott has been providing our small community with great produce for 25 years now and never disappoints. We're fortunate to have him, and he is so passionate about his home grown goods.

His vine ripened tomatoes are $1.50/lb, and the stone fruit is $2/lb. The grocery stores have a couple of different stone fruits on sale now for .99/lb, but it's no where near the quality so I don't bother with them. They usually want $3/lb for their cardboard fruit.

CG, I'd love it we had a cheese merchant here, but alas, I don't see that happening. Although if it were offered, I'd probably pay $3 for a scone to nibble on while I'm looking around, to help support the local vendors. We used to have a baked goods and jams/jellies/sauces section, but haven't seen them for a few years. I need to remember to ask what happened to them next time I'm there.

Yes, Addie....nothing like a fresh, juicy, tree ripened peach.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #26123
Sous Chef

Our Farmer's Market here is really expensive too. And worse than that, they don't start till 4 in the afternoon, so when it was hot (as it was every single Thursday they were at the park), I just couldn't bring myself to go.

I'll third that with the peaches. Same with strawberries. They're so good when they're eaten warm right after being picked.

Well, I think I found a project to do.

On our miniature forum, we have a thread so people can post dollhouses they find on eBay or Craig's List. Not too long ago, someone posted a link to a Craig's List ad selling a gorgeous huge dollhouse. I saved a picture of it because I liked it so much.

Today I was finally going through some old miniature magazines I'd bought at a show back in March and in the Spring 1980 issue, there was an ad for a miniatures store in Ohio, showing a woman standing next to the exact same dollhouse.

I'm hoping whoever posted the ad on our thread will contact me because when I find out where she got the Craig's List ad from, I'm hoping to track down the dollhouse.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:46 PM   #26124
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
...Yes, Addie....nothing like a fresh, juicy, tree ripened peach.
Nothing better than a peach picked fresh from the tree. Not many things worse than all the peach fuzz that gets down your shirt when you're the one in the tree picking them. It must have taken me three showers to get that fuzz off of me when we visited Aunt Polly at the farm.

Somehow, though, since they've bred so many peaches to be less fuzzy, it seems like they also took some of the great flavor in the process.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:15 PM   #26125
Master Chef

I am yawning my head off. I'm waiting for the baseball game to end so I can get back to reading my book. Hoping to make it to bed before xx:00 AM. Trust me, you don't want to know what time the "xx"s are hiding.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #26126
Executive Chef

I grew the majority of my onions from plants this year, and they are huge. As I was reviewing the characteristics of these monsters, I realized they are not good storage onions. So, what to do with the 100 beasts I have grown? Then I remembered making caramelized onions in the crock pot. I am on my second batch and will probably do many more batches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5153.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	25324  
Old 09-05-2016, 05:04 PM   #26127
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I grew the majority of my onions from plants this year, and they are huge. As I was reviewing the characteristics of these monsters, I realized they are not good storage onions. So, what to do with the 100 beasts I have grown? Then I remembered making caramelized onions in the crock pot. I am on my second batch and will probably do many more batches.
They also dice and freeze well. Freeze in 1 cup packs.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:04 PM   #26128
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
They also dice and freeze well. Freeze in 1 cup packs.
That's pretty much what I do - I couldn't resist the great deal on onions at the farm stand recently. I dice and freeze them on a cookie sheet, then store them in quart sized freezer ziplocks. Since they freeze separately and don't stick together, I can just grab a handful or two and throw the bag back in the freezer.

I do the same thing with jalapenos and bell peppers.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:19 PM   #26129
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Do you have a dehydrator? I have heard that you can make your own onion powder and dry onion bits.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:28 PM   #26130
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Bolas' onion goop, basically sliced onions and butter cooked to death on low in the CP, is also freezable and makes good onion soup and such. It was a lifesaver (well, onion saver) when I overbought at Costco.