"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-05-2016, 09:49 PM   #26131
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Do you have a dehydrator? I have heard that you can make your own onion powder and dry onion bits.
She lives in New Mexico. She can probably spread them out on a sheet pan outside and dehydrate them

Old 09-05-2016, 11:24 PM   #26132
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Bolas' onion goop, basically sliced onions and butter cooked to death on low in the CP, is also freezable and makes good onion soup and such. It was a lifesaver (well, onion saver) when I overbought at Costco.

That's the recipe I am using.

I hadn't thought of dicing and freezing them, but freezer space is an issue. The chiles have taken over! Cooking them in the crock pot really reduces them. And I have some local frozen beef coming soon. But dehydrating them is a possibility and I do have and use a dehydrator. I would much prefer to dry them in a controlled environment.

Thanks for the ideas.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:56 AM   #26133
Chef Extraordinaire

Scheduling caregivers during my absence from MN while I go back home to ON to take care of my brother's estate, get propane delivered so my house is heated while I'm back in MN, and writing instructions for the caregivers while I am away. Looking forward to 3 weeks of respite, but nervous as heck about being away from the Elders for 3 weeks. I am traveling light--just my emotional support dog, laptop, and just the clothes on my back.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:00 AM   #26134
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
(((Hugs CWS)))
Old 09-08-2016, 02:40 AM   #26135
Master Chef

Safe travels, CWS.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:29 AM   #26136
Sous Chef

It humid in Sweden and warm, I have been to the stores doesnt sound so bad unless you realise it includes a train ride on 9 min, a bus ride of 10, do this twice and yes you have to wait for the train and bus too and off course today the tickets machines wasnt working, but no one checked.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:30 PM   #26137
Master Chef

We were at a farmers' market yesterday - different location, but some of the same vendors. This one was set up in the parking lot of a local discount chain, so I think the prices were a little lower than when they are at the nice, covered, dedicated area we've been to before. I don't know if that's the case ALL the time though. Yesterday we were out in a veritable monsoon. Monsoon, I say! I got a couple good deals, including really small pickling cukes for $2 a pound. Farmers' market price-wise, that was a deal. No extra charge for the soaking wet clothes. By the time I got back to the car, my jeans were so wet from mid-thigh down they were sagging like I was channeling a fashion statement from "da hood".

Anyway...I put up another batch of dill pickles today. Since my one-and-only one quart crock isn't quite finished with the last batch, and I won't be putting them into a jar and refrigerating them for another day or two, I used my pottery batter bowl for curing this batch. I sure hope my next batch of pancakes isn't a blueberry-pickle version, though...
Old 09-08-2016, 05:37 PM   #26138
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Scheduling caregivers during my absence from MN while I go back home to ON to take care of my brother's estate, get propane delivered so my house is heated while I'm back in MN, and writing instructions for the caregivers while I am away. Looking forward to 3 weeks of respite, but nervous as heck about being away from the Elders for 3 weeks. I am traveling light--just my emotional support dog, laptop, and just the clothes on my back.
Hope all goes well CWS. My sister had that responsibility when my mother past last year. There was only so much we could do to help her. I'll be traveling back and forth to Ottawa from Renfrew quite a bit, seeing that my three kids live there now. If there is anything I can do to help, just ask...Roch
Old 09-08-2016, 05:49 PM   #26139
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I can just grab a handful or two and throw the bag back in the freezer.
I do the same thing with jalapenos and bell peppers.
So glad someone else does that. People have a fit when I say I freeze diced peppers!
Old 09-08-2016, 05:54 PM   #26140
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
So glad someone else does that. People have a fit when I say I freeze diced peppers!
Many years ago I had a little restaurant in a small village of 300. Some nights I would sell 2 or 3 pizzas. I used to use diced and frozen peppers for a few years during the winters when business was slow. Nobody ever complained or noticed...