"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-13-2016, 09:23 PM   #26211
Head Chef

Don't eat the watermelon seeds, they will grow in your tummy and you will have vines growing out your ears!

Old 09-13-2016, 10:41 PM   #26212
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I hate those danged click-bait headlines, dragnlaw. Most times I resist, but on occasion they manage to suck me in. ............
Same here. Every now and then FB has some "sponsored" (sure sign of multiple pages of clickbait right there) article with pics that I'd like to read through. I refuse to go to page after page to do it, with one pic per danged page, though.

A tip I learned from reading a few disgruntled comments:
If you click on the link you want to read, then go up to the address bar at the top of your screen and erase everything back to and including the 'question mark' and then hit enter again, it saves scrolling through page after page of ads. It doesn't ALWAYS work, but most often it does.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:44 AM   #26213
Head Chef

Made my 'starter' for some French Country bread last night. Trying to decide whether to continue by hand or use the bread setting on the fp.

I don't have a bread hook or paddle on my ancient stand mixer and I think the dough would just tangle nasty with the regular beaters.

ohhh what to do - what to do - what to do ...
Old 09-14-2016, 07:53 AM   #26214
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Made my 'starter' for some French Country bread last night. Trying to decide whether to continue by hand or use the bread setting on the fp.

I don't have a bread hook or paddle on my ancient stand mixer and I think the dough would just tangle nasty with the regular beaters.

ohhh what to do - what to do - what to do ...
Any time I make bread, even though I do have a dough hook for my KA, I still like to knead it by hand. But with the severe arthritis, I now have to do it more slowly. I don't mind. I just daydream as I turn the dough again and again. There is something very earthy feeling when you are handling raw bread dough.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:20 AM   #26215
Head Chef

I hear you Addie! I knead all my bread by hand. I did two separate loaves yesterday for a friend. Should have known better and taken a magic pill last night but didn't. My shoulder kept me tossing and turning all night, quelle miserable!

It is only to mix the new wet with the old wet that I'm trying to decide. The actual kneading I will do by hand as always.

People are astounded when I say I don't have a bread machine. But never say never, like you there will come the day perhaps when I will have to.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:22 AM   #26216
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If you keep doing that, you'll go blind...

Where have I heard that before???
:
Old 09-15-2016, 03:45 AM   #26217
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
I hear you Addie! I knead all my bread by hand. I did two separate loaves yesterday for a friend. Should have known better1 and taken a magic pill last night but didn't. My shoulder kept me tossing and turning all night, quelle miserable!

It is only to mix the new wet with the old wet that I'm trying to decide. The actual kneading I will do by hand as always.

People are astounded when I say I don't have a bread machine. But never say never, like you there will come the day 2 perhaps when I will have to.
That has been on my wish list for eons. I have one in mind, but I am waiting for the price to come down or I see it on sale.2

We all have the big "ouch" day sooner or later.1
Old 09-16-2016, 05:00 PM   #26218
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Out pruning unwanted baby trees in the asparagus/milkweed/herb garden. Then I noticed hundreds of yellowjackets in the little garden that I missed seeing when I started pruning. Not bees, yellowjackets! The nastiest, meanest, most vindictive insects ever! I suspect there might be a nest somewhere in there, but I'm not going to look for it!

Put the pruners back in the garage.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:04 PM   #26219
Head Chef

Wow Dawglover, my sister in Northern Ontario was telling me that there seems to be a huge influx of ground nests. Both she and her neighbour have been stung multiple times. And she just found two more nests this week.

Be careful guys - they are nasty, nasty!
Old 09-16-2016, 05:15 PM   #26220
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Yep. Once when I was mowing, a bunch flew up my shorts legs! Extremely painful! Truly evil.

And I sat on one the other day. It was on the toilet seat, and stung me good! Neither one of us enjoyed it, but I smashed and flushed her.