"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #26351
Chef Extraordinaire

This page includes a checklist you can download, as well as people to contact, etc.

http://asmdc.org/issues/disaster/

Old 09-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #26352
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
This page includes a checklist you can download, as well as people to contact, etc.

California Disaster Preparedness - California State Assembly Emergency Information and Resources
Excellent, thank you.

I already suggested that she back up photos and valuable data to the cloud.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #26353
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Excellent, thank you.

I already suggested that she back up photos and valuable data to the cloud.
You're welcome. I hope she'll be all right. My state released an app for emergency preparedness last year, which is handy.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:53 PM   #26354
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You're welcome. I hope she'll be all right. My state released an app for emergency preparedness last year, which is handy.
An app is a great idea.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #26355
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have a friend who lives within 10 miles of the wildfires in California. I'm trying to convince her to pack a bag now. I will send her a list. Anything obvious that I have forgotten. She has never dealt with wildfire before.

Phone
(laptop)
chargers for above
(Hard drive with backups)
clean underwear
toothbrush
hairbrush
a few t-shirts
medications (for you and dogs, tranquilizers for the dogs, if you have)
dog food
bowls for dog food and water
water
Food for herself and maybe a few complete changes of clothes. If she loses her house, she loses everything. She should bring any money, jewelry, and anything of value that is small and can be carried and hidden in her car. Some extra blankets, a pillow, and a sleeping bag if she has one. Definitely a couple gallons of water. And some rain gear. And an address book of phone numbers of people she knows. In times of stress, it's easy to forget your own phone number, let alone those of someone else. Also she should have a map of the area and several contingency plans to get out. An app on her phone is an excellent idea.

For the dog, a crate if she owns one, definitely a leash and collar (maybe a long line), and maybe an ex-pen or something to stake him out with. She should also have his certificate of rabies vaccination and his license. Many shelters don't allow pets and hers may need to be secured in her car overnight if that's where she plans to stay. And all those things will be needed if she needs to shelter with friends or in a hotel for a couple of weeks or more.

Which fire is she near? I read today there's a wildfire on Loma Prieta now. I saw a picture of the flames and I could recognize Loma Chiquita in the background - where the fire is, is where I used to take my telescope out all the time back in the 80s and 90s. That's hitting real close to home for me. I used to drive and ride horseback all over the Santa Cruz Mts.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #26356
Chef Extraordinaire

She is near the Los Gatos wildfire. Since she is waiting to pack a bag, I want to make it as simple and light weight as possible, especially if she ends up grabbing stuff and running. There are three dogs, two of hers and one visiting. Her bf is out of town. I will definitely send her the link that GG provided.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:32 PM   #26357
Master Chef

I sure hope she and others in the area get to safely stay in their homes, Taxy. We've sure had enough of the wildfires.

During many of the recent fires, animal shelters have stepped up to kennel and care for animals free of charge. So have many local homeowners who have the room for them - even for horses, goats, etc. With as disastrous as this year has been for fires, it's been really heartwarming to see so many businesses and families care for displaced animals, as well as the food (pet and human) that so many have donated.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:43 PM   #26358
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I sure hope she and others in the area get to safely stay in their homes, Taxy. We've sure had enough of the wildfires.

During many of the recent fires, animal shelters have stepped up to kennel and care for animals free of charge. So have many local homeowners who have the room for them - even for horses, goats, etc. With as disastrous as this year has been for fires, it's been really heartwarming to see so many businesses and families care for displaced animals, as well as the food (pet and human) that so many have donated.
Thanks. The wind is blowing the fire away from her at the moment.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #26359
Honey Badger

Munk's On The War Path

Hiya's

Couldn't sleep more that a few hours. Things are absolutely crazy here. I'm stressed and VERY worried for my husbands safety. I need to rant. Get a cup of coffee.
You guys know Hubby was finally ready to go to a stroke rehab facility.
We took him there because the staff highly recommended that place.

His first night was a nightmare. I'm seriously considering filing a complaint, possible lawsuit for what they did to my husband. I was not allowed to stay with him- Reason another male was his roomie. Our sons couldn't stay because they don't allow family members to stay at all.

When we left him. All of us felt sick. (This place is off, really off,cold staff, non caring)

He had managed to get out of his bed at 7:30 am and called me at home.
Asked me to please bring him a few things, to please come right now and get me. I asked if he was ok? He said no just please come get me call my lawyer.

Our oldest had to go to work for the day. Our youngest and I got what he asked for and flew out of this house.
When we got to his room a woman was towering over him grilling him. With peppered questions. She was the top supervising floor nurse who oversees all the nurses and employees.
I could tell by his perspiration and tone he was scared half to death I sat down next to him,held his hand and listened. It made me sick what they did to him.

During the night they dismissed his request not to have blood drawn. Did it anyways. They removed his clothing and left him laying in bed naked, door wide open for hours. Not only was the staff able to see him, other patients were as well. No security!!!! While the staff screwed around flirting with each other, making a lot of noise, shadow boxing with each other in the hall way. Denying his his request for his prescribed meds that would help him sleep.

He missed chow hall dinner. We had to take him to a patio area outside to feed him dinner. Un supervised by any staff. When he finished, We found out that they had locked the door. We had to wait a few minutes for someone to unlock it. We got him back to his room. Shortly afterwards he told us to go home!

Next post coming up. This is just part of his stay.
It gets even worse....
Old 09-29-2016, 08:53 AM   #26360
Chef Extraordinaire

Munky, I'm so sorry. I wish there was something I could do. All I have to offer is more hugs {{{Munky and Mr. Munky}}}