"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2016, 07:44 AM   #26791
Executive Chef

This is from a couple of years ago, I arrived home to .....

Another reason for lock up... Goose Poop on the front Stoop... yech!

Old 11-01-2016, 07:48 AM   #26792
Certified Pretend Chef

They look like they're standing on one foot.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #26793
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
They look like they're standing on one foot.
They are!

They stand like that to keep one foot warm, tucked up all nice and cosy in the warmest feathers in the world - Goose down - then they change feet.

They don't mind the cold at all. It's cute to see oval melted spots in the snow where they've hunkered down and melted it.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:05 AM   #26794
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
This is from a couple of years ago, I arrived home to .....

Another reason for lock up... Goose Poop on the front Stoop... yech!
My great-grandparents had geese when I was a little girl. I hated them. They were big and mean and they chased us.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:10 AM   #26795
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You know, my master gardener group is having a Christmas cookie contest/swap at our Christmas party. Maybe I can figure out a way to use them in cookies
Funny you mention this. A friend just sent me her very favorite cookie recipe.

Hi Beth!
Thank you again for a great day...I enjoyed our time together!!
Here's the cookie recipe I mentioned over lunch:
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter softened
1/4 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
3 cups chocolate chips
3 cups snickers candy bars ( cut lengthwise down the middle, then cross cut so you have little squares 1/2 inch or so)
Mix the dry ingredients* (set aside)
Cream together well the butter, peanut butter, and the sugars then add vanilla Next,* add eggs one at a time beating until creamy.
Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture. Once blended, add chocolate chips and snicker candy bar cut pieces.
Portion dough in accordance with the size cookies you want. Roll each cookie dough portion in sugar and place on parchment paper. Bake at 350F (baking time depends on how large you make the cookies).
Enjoy! ☺
Old 11-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #26796
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
Funny you mention this. A friend just sent me her very favorite cookie recipe.

Hi Beth!
Thank you again for a great day...I enjoyed our time together!!
Here's the cookie recipe I mentioned over lunch:
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter softened
1/4 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
3 cups chocolate chips
3 cups snickers candy bars ( cut lengthwise down the middle, then cross cut so you have little squares 1/2 inch or so)
Mix the dry ingredients* (set aside)
Cream together well the butter, peanut butter, and the sugars then add vanilla Next,* add eggs one at a time beating until creamy.
Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture. Once blended, add chocolate chips and snicker candy bar cut pieces.
Portion dough in accordance with the size cookies you want. Roll each cookie dough portion in sugar and place on parchment paper. Bake at 350F (baking time depends on how large you make the cookies).
Enjoy! ☺
Perfect! Thank you! And I have Christmas-colored candy sprinkles to make them look festive
Old 11-01-2016, 05:08 PM   #26797
Certified Cake Maniac

Dragnlaw, love the geese but know what you mean about the poop. When I worked in the city I had a nice walk from our rapid transit to our offices via a path that runs along a body of water called False Creek (that looks more like a pond). Anyway, all the business women who went that way, including me, started wearing runners to work and taking our heels to work (or leaving a pair there). The Canada geese were all over the place and so were their messes. Plus you had to make a wide circle around them when they were protecting babies because they were known to attack.

They are a protected species (and nice to see) so not much could be done about them. I ended up going to the next station which was not that much longer of a walk.

Beth, I am going to hijack your cookie recipe! I need something to donate to our youth group's silent auction and they know most of my more creative recipes. I wanted to do something different and this could be it! I just have to ask if peanut butter is okay.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:59 AM   #26798
Sous Chef

My back yard and deck are fenced in so I shouldn't have to worry much about that. They have the whole farm to run on. Lot and lots and lots of grasshoppers that need to be eaten around here.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:28 AM   #26799
Executive Chef

Muscovy Ducks

Jon
Your chickens and ducks will be good for grasshoppers, geese not so much. If you really want to decimate the grasshoppers get some muscovy ducks. They're wonderful for insects!
Old 11-03-2016, 12:38 AM   #26800
Chef Extraordinaire

Sorry CG

Cooking Goddess's dream did not happen this time. Her Indian's lost the World Series. But what a game. The seventh game went into 10 innings. The Chicago Cubs won.

Do you realize that it is most likely that there is no one alive today who remembers when the Cubs won their last World Series?

Sorry CG. Fans like you are far and few between. The Indians did put up one heck of a fight though. Right down to the wire.