What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My daughter also uses her cell as her only phone.

Addie, could you email your sugar readings to Winthrop?

My phone doesn't save phone numbers and names. I have to add them to my contact list with their name. I have a recent calls list but no names for new numbers.

No. They are very careful which emails they give out. I have one for my social worker, and a couple of others. But none that would be interested in receiving my sugar readings. All calls and paper work have to go through the switchboard first. Stupid system. I wish I could. It would save me a lot of paper. The way it is set up with the fax, I have to print them out and then fax them over. To fax them directly from my computer, I would need a separate phone line. :angel:

I have a Saturn Relay and in the back hatch there is a side panel that comes off and in there is a wall outlet like in a house. I can plug things in back there.

No. They are very careful which emails they give out. I have one for my social worker, and a couple of others. But none that would be interested in receiving my sugar readings. All calls and paper work have to go through the switchboard first. Stupid system. I wish I could. It would save me a lot of paper. The way it is set up with the fax, I have to print them out and then fax them over. To fax them directly from my computer, I would need a separate phone line. :angel:
Ask your son if there isn't a way to set up your fax as a printer. Is your fax machine connected to your computer?

Wow, LP! Scary, and more stress to top you off.
Maybe if I send some calming vibes your way, it'll help me calm down from all the excitement of the hurricane.
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Thanks and many hugs back to you, Z. I just can't imagine how scary that would be, specially being alone. We sometimes wonder what we ever did before all this technology, but to be without it is difficult. Just being without my cell phone last night at the hospital was unnerving - but to go several days, knowing others are worried. I am just so glad you are all right. Take the time you need to calm yourself. {{{{{{{{{{{{{Zhizara}}}}}}}}}}}}}

(((Hugs Laurie)))
Thanks, TL.

I was woken up by the phone this morning after 3 hours sleep - a dear friend who just lost her Mom on Saturday. I am still having some pain in my chest, which I am trying not to be worried about as worry can only make it worse. I plan to go back to bed as soon as I have taken my morning meds.

There are four little girls who hang out in front of our place - three live in our building (one is my neighbour's granddaughter who I look after sometimes) and one across the street. They love our dogs, and the fact that I often have fresh baked cupcakes or cookies to be sampled ;) Apparently they were all outside when the inhalator and ambulance came last night. DH told them I was okay, just having some pain (they know I live with pain and are often wanting to help me with things, they are adorable). But they were very worried so before they went to school this morning one of the Mom's had to call to make sure I was home and better.

Sometimes amid all my pain and stress I forget that people do love me - this was a good reminder of that. So are all of you.:heart:

Ask your son if there isn't a way to set up your fax as a printer. Is your fax machine connected to your computer?

He will be here tonight. I will have him look at the problem. I have the all-in-one printer. Printer, fax, copy machine. I really am not too concerned about faxing my sugar readings. I only do it as a convenience for Winthrop. It is the only thing I use the fax for. My problem is with my phone. I think it has died. It is old. It really does need to be replaced. But not this month. Right now I have two free cell phones in my name. Son #2 has one of them. I also have Verizon's Lifeline. A service for the elderly which reduces the cost of the phone bill. Right now after stripping all the extras like long distance, caller ID and other services that I get for free on the cell phones, my land-line bill is only $17.00 a month. In order to continue to have my free cell phone, I will lose the Lifeline from Verizon and my monthly bill will jump to $25.00 a month. The free cell phone my son has in my name will also have to be shut off. I am entitled to only one. That is fine with me. He has another one in his own name. the only reason I gave it to him was because you can't use it inside a building. I hated it. It had over 2,000 minutes on it when I gave it to him. Goes to show you how much I used it. I hated it. Hard to read the screen, number pad way to small and read. Kept hitting the wrong numbers. Bad design all around.

I think I have made up my mind. The land-line phone is going along with the cell phone my son has in my name. :angel:

Addie, I tried to post earlier but somehow lost the browser window and my reply.

My sister uses her cell phone as her only phone and it is good in many ways; however, it can also be a pain to get hold of her if
- she forgets to turn it on
- she forgets to charge it
- she forgets to take it with her
- she is somewhere where the signal is weak or dead
- to get a deal she only gets evening and weekends free. I can call her at work, but if it is her days off I can't get hold of her until after 6 pm

I am sure none of these apply to you, but thought I would give you feedback. There are times when I would like to just use my cell phone as my only phone. :)

Addie, I tried to post earlier but somehow lost the browser window and my reply.

My sister uses her cell phone as her only phone and it is good in many ways; however, it can also be a pain to get hold of her if
- she forgets to turn it on
- she forgets to charge it
- she forgets to take it with her
- she is somewhere where the signal is weak or dead
- to get a deal she only gets evening and weekends free. I can call her at work, but if it is her days off I can't get hold of her until after 6 pm

I am sure none of these apply to you, but thought I would give you feedback. There are times when I would like to just use my cell phone as my only phone. :)

That is the kind of feedback I was looking for. I didn't even consider those items. I have only forgotten to turn mine on once. I just this week learned that I could turn the phone off. That is why it is always fully charged. I keep it plugged in until I am going out. I occasionally forget to bring it with me when I go shopping. I use it there to find my son who is in the other half of the store. I have never had a weak or dead signal. I very rarely use mine to make calls. I do have to call the chair coach to pick me up after a doctor's appt. That is a five second call.

The only call I would worry about is the one I get from my girlfriend every Saturday night. We talk for about two hours solving all the problems of the world. Since I am home when she calls, I could keep the phone plugged in while we talk. I have an excessivly long cord for the phone. That would use up a lot of my free minutes. We could cut the calls to twice a month. And make them shorter. We can also email back and forth. So that problem seems to be solved. I can text with it, but that will never happen. I happen to like the sound of a voice at the other end. Nobody knows I have texting available to me. And it is going to stay that way. Little by little sitting here I am slowly working out all the negatives of having the cell as my only phone.

Thanks for the feedback. :angel:

Addie, as I wrote before, don't forget that you cannot charge your cell phone when the power is out. A landline that doesn't have to be plugged into a power outlet, will still work when the power is out.

Thanks and many hugs back to you, Z. I just can't imagine how scary that would be, specially being alone. We sometimes wonder what we ever did before all this technology, but to be without it is difficult. Just being without my cell phone last night at the hospital was unnerving - but to go several days, knowing others are worried. I am just so glad you are all right. Take the time you need to calm yourself. {{{{{{{{{{{{{Zhizara}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Thanks, TL.

I was woken up by the phone this morning after 3 hours sleep - a dear friend who just lost her Mom on Saturday. I am still having some pain in my chest, which I am trying not to be worried about as worry can only make it worse. I plan to go back to bed as soon as I have taken my morning meds.

There are four little girls who hang out in front of our place - three live in our building (one is my neighbour's granddaughter who I look after sometimes) and one across the street. They love our dogs, and the fact that I often have fresh baked cupcakes or cookies to be sampled ;) Apparently they were all outside when the inhalator and ambulance came last night. DH told them I was okay, just having some pain (they know I live with pain and are often wanting to help me with things, they are adorable). But they were very worried so before they went to school this morning one of the Mom's had to call to make sure I was home and better.

Sometimes amid all my pain and stress I forget that people do love me - this was a good reminder of that. So are all of you.:heart:
Laurie,
please have T. let me know if you have another episode like last night's. This makes so worried for you!!! I cannot tell you how it causes all of us stress when you feel bad. I know what those rides in an abulance do to all of us. Wish we could be there to help you.
Many hugs for you and your wonderful DH.
ma

Laurie,
please have T. let me know if you have another episode like last night's. This makes so worried for you!!! I cannot tell you how it causes all of us stress when you feel bad. I know what those rides in an abulance do to all of us. Wish we could be there to help you.
Many hugs for you and your wonderful DH.
ma

Of course we do! You're so loveable.

...and you make cake!

Thanks both of you! :blush:

Addie, as I wrote before, don't forget that you cannot charge your cell phone when the power is out. A landline that doesn't have to be plugged into a power outlet, will still work when the power is out.

About 95% of our power lines are underground. I can't remember the last time we lost our power. And I have a Lifeline that is plugged into the phone line should I need help. It is provided by my Elder Service Plan. :angel:

It is raining here this morning, so I may stay indoors today :)

Time to get on with some cross stitch I guess

About 95% of our power lines are underground. I can't remember the last time we lost our power. And I have a Lifeline that is plugged into the phone line should I need help. It is provided by my Elder Service Plan. :angel:
I haven't got the confidence you do. The short power outages aren't a problem for the cell phones for the most part. I was without power for 8 days during the ice storm of 1998 and Zhizara was without power for over a week because of the hurricane. I don't think having the power lines underground helps a lot in those kind of situations.

Won't disconnecting the land line disconnect the Lifeline?

The one my mother had used the same land line that the telephone was connected to. The one she had was called LifeAlert.

You can get car chargers for cell phones and DH got me this handy dandy little charger that can be plugged in between the charger and the phone. I keep it charged then if I need it (not near car or house or power goes out) I just plug it into the phone and I get about an hour extra charge. I can even plug it in to the car charger. I will see if I can find a link for it! :)

I haven't got the confidence you do. The short power outages aren't a problem for the cell phones for the most part. I was without power for 8 days during the ice storm of 1998 and Zhizara was without power for over a week because of the hurricane. I don't think having the power lines underground helps a lot in those kind of situations.

If I lived further inland instead of Boston, I would be more concerned. Some of the towns up near the NH/VT borders have had some terrible times with power outages due to storms. One year as long as two weeks or more during ice storms. The City of Boston has an active Elderly Commission that checks on the elderly during storms. If they can't reach them by phone, they send someone around to check on them. They send out a reverse 911 call to all the seniors in the city. "If you are all right, please press #1." If there is no response, they will send the police or some other person to check on you. We are pretty well looked after. Our Mayor realizes that the elderly are now the largest voting block and we are diligent in voting in every election. Even the primaries. :angel:

Won't disconnecting the land line disconnect the Lifeline?

The one my mother had used the same land line that the telephone was connected to. The one she had was called LifeAlert.

No. I just remembered. All telephone lines in this state, even if there is no service to it, anyone can plug in a phone and call 911. I can walk into an abandoned building that is half falling down, and the phone jack will have a dial tone for 911 calls. Even pay phones (you remember them, don't you?) allow a 911 call without depositing or charging any money. So I will still be able to make a 911 call from a land line phone. (Thanks for the memory jog.) :angel:

I originally had planned to go to the pool tonight. Then, I layted down for a short nap & woke up 2 hours later, by then, it was time to bring the daughter to piano lessons. Now I am just enjoying a nice cool breeze coming through the back door, sitting in my recliner

Back
Top Bottom