"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #2721
Certified Cake Maniac

I'm feeling pretty good about myself today! I went to check out a different pool to see if it would be cheaper and better for my water walking - well it is on both fronts and I walked 6 25 meter lengths for a total of 150 meters! This is half what I used to do, but it has been a long time and I have been having a lot of pain flare-ups (partly from being inactive) so I need to start slowly. I think I am going to stay going to this pool for awhile and when I am ready to add the gym and other aspects I will consider going to the Y again.

I also am getting some housework done, have simplified meal planning for days when I am at my pain program and doing some laundry. I am trying not to overdue things, following the pacing guidelines from the program where you do a few different things, changing from one to another to rest times and it is really working. I am not getting more sore or tired and am feeling like I am accomplishing something.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #2722
Certified Cake Maniac

Oh, on the tooth subject?

I lost a tooth several years ago - it had a root canal, and finally a crown, but the base of the tooth kept breaking and they put the crown back on twice but the third time there was nothing to hold it to so they removed what was left and I have a large "dip" in my gum. The tooth above has come out further, but is very sound and shows no sign of needing to be pulled. I do chew on that side and I think it gets some "action" when I do, plus I am constantly massaging my gums with my toothbrush.

Actually I just felt it and it seems to bit down a slight bit on the lower tooth beside the "dip" so it must get some chewing from that.

I am so sorry you are having teeth problems. I have had them most of my life and it isn't fun. I want my dentist to remove them and send me for dentures but he refuses.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #2723
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I absolutely 'get you'. I was in a family of 4, mom didn't have a driver's license so we went when dad could drive us there. We didn't have money. At 9 years of age this 'jaw's dentist', drilled directly into the root of my tooth, I think he enjoyed it. I screamed in pain, my dad did nothing. He said there were NUNS IN THE WAITING ROOM AND DIDN'T WANT TO UPSET THEM.
Well now, 40 years later, I have metal fillings falling out, and it's excruciating. I Guess the warranty on those fillings ran out.
This is LIKE the look of my dentist.

I need a better dentist. Apparently!
I could not agree more!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #2724
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful

I absolutely 'get you'. I was in a family of 4, mom didn't have a driver's license so we went when dad could drive us there. We didn't have money. At 9 years of age this 'jaw's dentist', drilled directly into the root of my tooth, I think he enjoyed it. I screamed in pain, my dad did nothing. He said there were NUNS IN THE WAITING ROOM AND DIDN'T WANT TO UPSET THEM.
Well now, 40 years later, I have metal fillings falling out, and it's excruciating. I Guess the warranty on those fillings ran out.
This is LIKE the look of my dentist.

I need a better dentist. Apparently!
Yeeks! Jaws, one of the creepiest of the Bond villains!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #2725
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier
I'm feeling pretty good about myself today! I went to check out a different pool to see if it would be cheaper and better for my water walking - well it is on both fronts and I walked 6 25 meter lengths for a total of 150 meters! This is half what I used to do, but it has been a long time and I have been having a lot of pain flare-ups (partly from being inactive) so I need to start slowly. I think I am going to stay going to this pool for awhile and when I am ready to add the gym and other aspects I will consider going to the Y again.

I also am getting some housework done, have simplified meal planning for days when I am at my pain program and doing some laundry. I am trying not to overdue things, following the pacing guidelines from the program where you do a few different things, changing from one to another to rest times and it is really working. I am not getting more sore or tired and am feeling like I am accomplishing something.
Great news, LP!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #2726
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post

I'm glad to read that the pain program seems to be helping.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #2727
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm glad to read that the pain program seems to be helping.
Thanks, TL. You know, it seems really daunting for awhile and then all of a sudden a light comes on and you realize that a lot of their concepts and teachings are really straight forward. After having to spend the weekend couch-bound I finally admitted the "all or nothing" approach doesn't work. But pacing, setting reasonable goals, keeping active but within the parameters of the pain and personal abilities are the key. After this week I will be half way and then we get a week off. This is the week I started having to miss the first time around so I am looking forward to these classes!

Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #2728
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

OsteoNecrotic Jaw Disease because of Chemo is what got me. No bone left to hold my teeth in, it was very painful to bite down and have my teeth shift. Had no choice but to have them all pulled and get dentures. Booger!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #2729
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
OsteoNecrotic Jaw Disease because of Chemo is what got me. No bone left to hold my teeth in, it was very painful to bite down and have my teeth shift. Had no choice but to have them all pulled and get dentures. Booger!
Booger is right. Does the osteonecrotic jaw disease stop you from getting implants? Not enough bone?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #2730
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Booger is right. Does the osteonecrotic jaw disease stop you from getting implants? Not enough bone?
That and the price...very expensive. I would have to have bone reconstruction first, which would be partially covered by insurance, then the implants are exorbitant and I would have to purchase special dental insurance to get it. The low end price starts at $50,000 and the insurance only pays 1/3rd of it.