"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #28011
Head Chef

We have spent Monday at the doctors office and today at the eye doctor, she has gotten a bad infection in her eye due to gravel in her eye, it as last getting better.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:42 PM   #28012
Chef Extraordinaire

Sitting here waiting for the woman from PACE to come and tell me all the great services ESP has to offer. After ten years in the program, I think I know what they offer. And I don't need anything else thank you. But I am trying to not be non-compliant again. So I will politely listen to her.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with my rheumatologist. More shots right into the joints of my fingers.

I really need to run to the store, but I have to wait for her.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:28 PM   #28013
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Just got home from a small amount of shopping after a visit to my ophthalmologist. I quit taking one of my Rx eye drops (I have glaucoma) a week ago. I was getting a very uncomfortable rash around my eyes. It's a known, but uncommon, side effect. I was still taking the other kind of Rx eye drops. My intraoccular pressure is fine, so I don't have to take any other kinds of drops. I will go for all the regular tests in August, including eye pressure and the doctor will see how my eyes are doing. It also turns out that the pharmacy had been giving me the wrong 'script. I was supposed to have Azopt, but they gave me a different glaucoma med called Cosopt. I was going to blame doctor's handwriting, but I scanned the 'script when I got it, so I can see what it looked like and I don't think it was the handwriting. I think the pharmacist read it too fast. I guess I have to talk to the pharmacy. The rash is going away.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #28014
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Just got home from a small amount of shopping after a visit to my ophthalmologist. I quit taking one of my Rx eye drops (I have glaucoma) a week ago. I was getting a very uncomfortable rash around my eyes. It's a known, but uncommon, side effect. I was still taking the other kind of Rx eye drops. My intraoccular pressure is fine, so I don't have to take any other kinds of drops. I will go for all the regular tests in August, including eye pressure and the doctor will see how my eyes are doing. It also turns out that the pharmacy had been giving me the wrong 'script. I was supposed to have Azopt, but they gave me a different glaucoma med called Cosopt. I was going to blame doctor's handwriting, but I scanned the 'script when I got it, so I can see what it looked like and I don't think it was the handwriting. I think the pharmacist read it too fast. I guess I have to talk to the pharmacy. The rash is going away.
It is bad enough to have a condition that is so serious. But to have been given the wrong medicine is almost unforgivable.

I take gabapentin three times a day. One time I was given a medication that looked like gabapentin but was for people with Alzheimer patients. I just thought it was a different brand. It made me so sick. I would take two at a time as per direction, and about five minutes later I would start to vomit. After two days of this, Pirate looked up the pill on Web, MD. According to the side effects, some Alzheimer patients died from the medication. He called the pharmacy immediately and hit the roof with them. I honestly thought of suing them. But in this family we believe that if you didn't work for the money, then you are not entitled to it. We don't believe in suing. The pharmacy fired the employee that filled out the script. And Winthrop filed a complaint with the State that regulates the licenses of these people. I am sorry if she lost her license. All I wanted was for her to lose her job. But you can bet, I check my meds to this day.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #28015
Chef Extraordinaire

taxy, I hope your eye rash clears up soon.

Got back from the dentist's office a bit ago. It was a long, uncommon four years since my last check-up and I was a bit worried. Before Himself was laid off, we went faithfully every six months. After the dental insurance expired at the end of COBRA, and his unemployment ran out, and he hadn't started getting his Social Security - well, the budget was tight. After lots of fun from the cleaning, I'm breathing a sigh of relief. No problems. I do need a broken molar patched (one of the petals broke off my "four-leaf-clover"), so I have a month to decide if I just want to get it patched ($100) or crowned (almost $900). Pay me now, pay me later. FWIW, a different molar was patched twice over a 10-year period. I think I can buy time.

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #28016
Head Chef

I'm waiting for the sun to come around into my window for the afternoon. When it does, and I can see what I'm doing, I'll glue in the floors and trim that I finally finished staining and varnishing for my shadowbox. After that, I need to cut trim for the kitchen and paint that, then work on putting some windows together for the walls.

CG, I know what that's like. I would have insurance that would cover dental, then I wouldn't. I'm just so glad that I had it when I had my wisdom teeth removed and a couple root canals done. But then when I switched jobs, it was ten years before I could afford to go into the dentist again.

Fortunately, I have pretty good teeth and aside from a cleaning, nothing needed to be done. Now I'm having trouble with one tooth on which I had a root canal done about 20 years ago, but not a crown. The last time I went in, I wanted the tooth pulled and the dentist insisted on building it up so I could eventually get a crown someday, like that's going to happen.

So now I'm sitting here with a tooth that has a built up filling in it that will eventually wear down. I could keep getting it built up, but why.....? Meantime, when the filling wears down, my tooth will start aching again. I think next time I go in for a checkup, I'll scream and holler until the dentist agrees to take out the tooth.
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:29 PM   #28017
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'm waiting for the sun to come around into my window for the afternoon. When it does, and I can see what I'm doing, I'll glue in the floors and trim that I finally finished staining and varnishing for my shadowbox. After that, I need to cut trim for the kitchen and paint that, then work on putting some windows together for the walls.

CG, I know what that's like. I would have insurance that would cover dental, then I wouldn't. I'm just so glad that I had it when I had my wisdom teeth removed and a couple root canals done. But then when I switched jobs, it was ten years before I could afford to go into the dentist again.

Fortunately, I have pretty good teeth and aside from a cleaning, nothing needed to be done. Now I'm having trouble with one tooth on which I had a root canal done about 20 years ago, but not a crown. The last time I went in, I wanted the tooth pulled and the dentist insisted on building it up so I could eventually get a crown someday, like that's going to happen.

So now I'm sitting here with a tooth that has a built up filling in it that will eventually wear down. I could keep getting it built up, but why.....? Meantime, when the filling wears down, my tooth will start aching again. I think next time I go in for a checkup, I'll scream and holler until the dentist agrees to take out the tooth.
If you have the tooth pulled, the opposite tooth (on the bottom if this is on top, on top if this one is on the bottom) will start to work its way out when it doesn't have the pressure of its opposite tooth. Guess how I know.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #28018
Chef Extraordinaire

I have no more teeth to get worked on except for the four wisdom teeth trying to come down. One is coming down faster than the other three. All four are giving me a fit. Every time one of them starts to move, the side of my face swells up. The dentist will not remove them until they break through. If I insist that he remove them now, it involves surgery. And I am just getting too old to take that risk. The doctors don't know if my heart can handle another surgery.

I have a plate for the top, but that is where I am having the most swelling. Including gums.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #28019
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm surprised that a dentist hasn't at least suggested having them removed decades ago Addie. My BIL had two wisdom teeth that erupted, two that didn't. We had them all removed, first one side, then the other. My dentist warned me before we had kids that mine were so far back and were already showing signs of decay because it was difficult to clean them. Had them all taken out on a Friday. The next day a friend of ours took us and his fiance out for dinner at a nice restaurant because he figured I'd have a hard time eating. Cheap date? Hardly. I told him I'd get something soft - and got seared scallops. They were delicious. Then the fiance guarded the bathroom door while I proceeded to swish salt water in my mouth to get rid of all the bits of rice.

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:59 PM   #28020
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'm surprised that a dentist hasn't at least suggested having them removed decades ago Addie. My BIL had two wisdom teeth that erupted, two that didn't. We had them all removed, first one side, then the other. My dentist warned me before we had kids that mine were so far back and were already showing signs of decay because it was difficult to clean them. Had them all taken out on a Friday. The next day a friend of ours took us and his fiance out for dinner at a nice restaurant because he figured I'd have a hard time eating. Cheap date? Hardly. I told him I'd get something soft - and got seared scallops. They were delicious. Then the fiance guarded the bathroom door while I proceeded to swish salt water in my mouth to get rid of all the bits of rice.
CG, I was 68 years old before I even knew I had wisdom teeth. I had a tooth that had never came up on the bottom. It had been lying down in my gum all those years. It was my 12 y.o. molar. When it finally decided to come up, it was under another tooth. The dentist did an Xray that spanned around my whole face. That is when they noticed the wisdom teeth. I just went through life thinking I never had any. All four of them were up by my ears. The tooth that was trying to come up, caused all my bottom teeth to move out of whack and had to be removed. I could have pulled most of the out myself with just my fingers. No bottom teeth. Then the top wisdom teeth decided to go on the march. All my top teeth were loosened and out they came. Now all four of them are on the march again and are now down in my mouth instead of up by my ears. Here I am in my late 70's and I am cutting teeth again. The two top ones are right next to my cheek bones. If only they would break through, I could get them out.