"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2017, 07:48 AM   #28951
Head Chef

Hang in there Katie....

As we age, these things pop up..

I've been through the heart thingy and am contemplating hip surgery..

With prayer and luck, life goes on and its great to have people who care..

Ross

Old 07-15-2017, 08:00 AM   #28952
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
Hang in there Katie....

As we age, these things pop up..

I've been through the heart thingy and am contemplating hip surgery..

With prayer and luck, life goes on and its great to have people who care..

Ross
Thanks, Ross. This surgery was a revision of a replacement that was done 20 years ago. It simply wore out and seriously degraded over the last year or so. By the time he made it to the operating room, his left leg was 2 inches shorter and his femur had multiple small fractures from the stem rattling around whacking it. The surgeon told me all he had to do to remove the old stem was to pluck it out with his index finger and his thumb it was so loose.

Glenn's endured a lot since April when he had open heart surgery. He's a pretty tough guy but he's ready to see what normal can be again.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #28953
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
Addie isn't the only one, I wasn't sure if you meant the VA or VA I frequent UVA hospital quite a bit. T one time in my life I was taking my child there every 3 months. I hate doctor visits!
OMGoodness, you were there quite a bit then. Hope your son is well now. Mom has Dr appointments of some sort every 2 to 3 months. Podiatrist is every 2 months, Medicare covers because she is diabetic. Dermatologist is every 3 months - she has little pre-cancerous things that pop up and he freezes them off. GP every 3 to 6 months for general check-up and fine tuning medications. he also gets blood work every 3 to 6 months. I have check-ups every 4 months for diabetes and blood pressure, blood work every year.
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:16 AM   #28954
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Trying to "take five" and gather my thoughts and strength to prepare for another day driving to the hospital.

I've been running back and forth to the hospital since o'dark hundred on Wednesday, which is when Glenn had a major hip surgery. The drive is over an hour, one way, so I think the car knows the way all by itself.

I slept at the hospital on Wednesday night because he didn't get out of the recovery room until about 8 p.m. I can't drive at night, never have been. I wanted to make sure he was doing well anyway and staying the night was the best way to assure myself that all was well.

Last night I totally crashed into bed and probably didn't move until I arose at 6:30. The covers didn't even look disturbed and I never even got up to go to the bathroom all night, which meant I was soooo wasted

Not sure how long he'll be in the hospital. Originally Sunday was the target time to go home, but there was a slight backslide today. Might change the coming home time, but the ground could be recovered tonight and tomorrow.

I've been like a duck on the pond. Looking calm on top but paddling like hell below trying to prepare for his homecoming and making time for rest for myself.

And miles to go before I sleep.
Wishing Glenn a speedy recovery and that he will be up and about really soon. Katie, please take care of yourself and bless you both.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:37 AM   #28955
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Trying to "take five" and gather my thoughts and strength to prepare for another day driving to the hospital.

I've been running back and forth to the hospital since o'dark hundred on Wednesday, which is when Glenn had a major hip surgery. The drive is over an hour, one way, so I think the car knows the way all by itself.

I slept at the hospital on Wednesday night because he didn't get out of the recovery room until about 8 p.m. I can't drive at night, never have been. I wanted to make sure he was doing well anyway and staying the night was the best way to assure myself that all was well.

Last night I totally crashed into bed and probably didn't move until I arose at 6:30. The covers didn't even look disturbed and I never even got up to go to the bathroom all night, which meant I was soooo wasted

Not sure how long he'll be in the hospital. Originally Sunday was the target time to go home, but there was a slight backslide today. Might change the coming home time, but the ground could be recovered tonight and tomorrow.

I've been like a duck on the pond. Looking calm on top but paddling like hell below trying to prepare for his homecoming and making time for rest for myself.

So sorry you're both having to go through this, Katie. I hope you had a restful night. Best wishes to you and Glenn. Hugs.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:45 AM   #28956
Sous Chef

Quote:

Oh goodness, I hope he does well with recovery and you get some rest! Doctors and hospitals and surgeries wear a person out
Old 07-15-2017, 08:53 AM   #28957
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmmytunes View Post
OMGoodness, you were there quite a bit then. Hope your son is well now. Mom has Dr appointments of some sort every 2 to 3 months. Podiatrist is every 2 months, Medicare covers because she is diabetic. Dermatologist is every 3 months - she has little pre-cancerous things that pop up and he freezes them off. GP every 3 to 6 months for general check-up and fine tuning medications. he also gets blood work every 3 to 6 months. I have check-ups every 4 months for diabetes and blood pressure, blood work every year.
The soft spot in his head closed early so we went through surgeries and now he goes for eye appointments, he doesn't have depth perception like we do but since he was born with it he does well. That's why you see a lot of dementia patients walking funny when they have to cross different flooring like carpet to black tile to white tile etc. Age related loss of depth perception.... people don't think of those things when they design nsg homes, assisted living centers. Another fact is fluorescent lighting. It's the absolute worst for anxiety, low vision etc. now he has a bit of a lazy eye which the dr said he will try to correct when he's a little bit older. I guess we all have our trials in life.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #28958
Sous Chef

We had some friends over last night. The kids were throwing rocks like kids do. Jasper threw one through the back window of a Ford Taurus wagon. So we get to make a trip to u pull it this morning. Its hot and humid and sticky but I have to fix it.

I've had quite the run of bad luck lately. I know what I did to deserve bad karma but enough already. I've learned my lesson. I swear.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #28959
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:

Hang in there, Katie. Take care of yourself and my best wishes for Glenn's fast recovery.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:40 AM   #28960
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jon View Post
We had some friends over last night. The kids were throwing rocks like kids do. Jasper threw one through the back window of a Ford Taurus wagon. So we get to make a trip to u pull it this morning. Its hot and humid and sticky but I have to fix it.

I've had quite the run of bad luck lately. I know what I did to deserve bad karma but enough already. I've learned my lesson. I swear.
Sending good karma and luck your way!!
Kids and rocks... my nephew and his friends were throwing rocks a couple of weeks ago and he had to get his mouth wired shut, it broke his jaw. I'm thinking someone needs to throw a rock at me, diet plan!