"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2017, 01:38 PM   #29121
Certified Cake Maniac

Trying to chug down my breakfast smoothie so I can take Violet out and maybe she will stop whining. She didn't want to go at her normal 8:30 am time and now it is 11:30 and I am trying to get some work done. But she's my fur-kid and I love her!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #29122
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The other day I was mixing up some spices to rub on my pork butt for the pulled pork. The recipe calls for 3 Tb of ground black pepper. Half way through the grind, my Unicorn Magnum Plus broke! ARRRGGGHHHH! I love that pepper mill.

I finished the job with another, slower mill and went right to my computer to order a new one.
Andy, can you give me the link to the mill you like. I tried to find it but no luck.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:42 PM   #29123
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Andy, can you give me the link to the mill you like. I tried to find it but no luck.
Here it is, LP. I got the Plus model but it's also available in a smaller size. There are other models as well.

For years, this mill was rated as the best by ATK. I think another brand has since replaced it at the top of the ratings.

Unicorn Mills Magnum Plus Pepper Grinder
Old 08-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #29124
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Here it is, LP. I got the Plus model but it's also available in a smaller size. There are other models as well.
For years, this mill was rated as the best by ATK. I think another brand has since replaced it at the top of the ratings.
Unicorn Mills Magnum Plus Pepper Grinder
Thanks, Andy. I think I will order the 6-inch pepper and salt mills as I love fresh ground sea salt as well for certain recipes. I might even get the 9-inch pepper and 6-inch salt!

Old 08-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #29125
Chef Extraordinaire

Winthrop planned a trip for some of their members to go to the Farmer's Market in Revere. The next town to us. I got some fruit and other goodies. Then I saw some beautiful eggplants. I had my money in a little zipper purse that I received as a gift many years ago. After I had made other purchase at another stand, I tossed my purse into one of my bags. I was going to buy one of the eggplants. I already had picked up a couple of Japanese ones. So I go to get my purse, but couldn't find it. Oh well, I told the man to put it back. I was just too tired to go through my bags to find the purse.

I get home and start taking out the food from the bag. Aha! There was my purse. And at the very bottom of the bag, was the eggplant. The man had tossed it in my bag.

But more than that, that was the first time in more than ten years that I stood on my legs and walked around that long. Walking is very painful for me. By the time I got home, between carrying a heavy bag filled with veggies and fruits, I was exhausted and my feet and ankles were numb. But I now know that I can do it if I just put my mind to it. Time for me to go to the Wellness Center for some physical therapy.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #29126
Certified Cake Maniac

Wow, Addie, that's quite the day!

I can totally relate to the being on your feet and walking taking a toll on you. If I stand in the dog park too long or do too many laps with Violet I get so I can barely make the walk across the street to home. I have been taking my walker for the long afternoon sessions so I have a seat when needed. Benches are at a premium then.

That is a very touching story about the eggplant. Such a kind man.

Hope you are having a much deserved rest.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:46 PM   #29127
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Wow, Addie, that's quite the day!

I can totally relate to the being on your feet and walking taking a toll on you. If I stand in the dog park too long or do too many laps with Violet I get so I can barely make the walk across the street to home. I have been taking my walker for the long afternoon sessions so I have a seat when needed. Benches are at a premium then.

That is a very touching story about the eggplant. Such a kind man.

Hope you are having a much deserved rest.
Thank you LP. I had taken two Vicodin and Gabapentin before I left the house yesterday. That is what got me through the whole afternoon of being on my feet. But by the time I got home, they had worn off so I repeated the two. With the new application of meds in me I didn't have the good sense to sit down and do nothing. No, not me. I had to clean. I finally crashed around eight last night.

Today is a day of rest for me. I do want to clean out all the bottom cabinets. But it will have to wait another day. I did have to make a run up to Rite Aid to get the refill for Pirates medicine. The only other thing I am doing is to make a small supper for the both of us. I am really not hungry. But I HAVE to eat something so I won't get yelled at or have to lie about eating.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:11 AM   #29128
Master Chef

I've spent the last hour looking for things we might want to see as we drive down to Knoxville. Then I decided that most any of them will still be there when we drive practically the same route down to FL in November. We'll now probably just drive through over a couple days and stop to see anything that might tug at us from the highway, opting to visit a Bourbon distillery or two as we drive through KY on our way to our daughter's. Yup, much better idea.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #29129
Sous Chef

Went on a little fishing trip dow the river in a canoe yesterday. We usually run set lines but this was all rod and reel. We both had personal bests on rod and reel and I caught my first ever Blue Catfish. Didnt weigh them we cleaned and cooked them as soon as we got home.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #29130
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Love fresh caught catfish....

Ross