"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #29291
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I don't know about the "sweetheart" tag, GG, but I do know my Momma made sure I wasn't rude.

Ross, I try to keep things balanced. I'm more than guilty when it comes to bending the ear of my fellow shoppers. On the other hand, my topic is usually about the food in front of us and options for its use. I didn't plan on being Ann Landers in the parking lot. A cold, damp, drizzly parking lot. Oddly enough, Himself is the one who has been sniffling and sneezing today.
I am one of those people who will strike up a conversation in a store, particularly to share information. People here in Dallas don't know how to deal with that.

If I see somebody looking at a product, most recently it was a cordless battery powered weed-eater, that I already own. I'll speak up and tell them, "Hi, I own one of those," and tell them my experience with the product. Nine out of ten Dallasites will look at me as if I'm crazy. "Who is this person, and why is he talking to me?"

Recently a woman was looking for crème fraîche for a recipe at my regular Kroger. The store employee had never heard of it, so I stepped in and told her that the store doesn't have it (I've looked). I also told her that if she couldn't find it, she could substitute Mexican crema or sour cream. Now, she was the one-in-ten that wasn't taken aback.

CD

Old 09-19-2017, 11:16 PM   #29292
Master Chef

cd, I've found that New Englanders aren't quite as welcoming to a random stranger striking up a conversation as much as midwesterners are. I have a long history of picking up new friends in the grocery store. Himself often asks "did you make a new best friend in the check-out line today?" when I come home from shopping.

I've been known to exchange information with a person or two...

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:44 PM   #29293
Master Chef

I'm a yacky type person and will strike up a conversation with just about anyone. We only have 2 grocery stores here within a hundred miles, so I usually see at least a couple of people I know whenever I go shopping. It doesn't work to try to run in real quick with faded sweats, a baseball cap and sunglasses.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #29294
Honey Badger

Have a few hours alone to waste.

My boss is off to therapy.I've been given orders by all of his therapists to "Lighten up my work load!" they meant it.So I didn't go with them.

It was a year ago today he had his stroke.
I'm very proud of his perseverance.This time last year he wasn't able to walk.Could barely talk.Now he's walking, talking. Sometimes too much.
I mean that in a nice way.

He's had issues remembering who some people are.I tell him they aren't worth remembering anyways. Don't feel bad.
That's terrible I know.But true.

Following the therapists rules I bought a Addi knitting machine.It just arrived last night.Going to try it out. Need to dig out my knitting books and pick a pattern.

Munky.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #29295
Sous Chef

Just got back from our weekly Wally World run. Was going to get some Christmas yarn, but they didn't have any out yet. Oh well, there's always later.
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:50 AM   #29296
Sous Chef

I haven't been on here in a while. Been really busy getting ready for harvesst and my boss had a stroke Wednesday morning. He has no family. Never married. No siblings except a cousin in Florida who dropped everything and rushed up here. Thank god he did. Randy is so stubborn but cousin Kenny knows how to talk to him. They have been close since they were little kids. We have been clening out his house. We have to go buy him a new adjustable bed. We have to hire a carpenter to put a shower in his upstairs bathroom. Then the hard part. Gotta figure out his filing system to get bills pays. Its up to us to sell off Whats left of last years crop to make room for this year. Then I have to learn how to run the combine and hire extra help. On top of all that I am his power of attorney so I'm chasing paperwork. AND we just got a letter from the accountant. He has terminal lung cancer and only has days left. We worked closely with him over the years. He does all the books. Its been a rough few days but I know we will get through this. Randy is doing good. Still has some bleeding on the brain. In a couple weeks when he gets stronger they have to do surgery on his arteries in his neck. They are critically closed. I don't know if they are clogged or hardened and shrunk.
We just had a talk last week about how he needs to let us do more in case something happens. Yea yea we will work on that he said. I walked into the hospital room yesterday. He said well you wanted to learn how to run the combine. You don't have a choice now.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2017, 07:37 AM   #29297
Head Chef

Life can throw curves and be most difficult.. Have strength...

Ross
Old 09-24-2017, 09:59 AM   #29298
Chef Extraordinaire

Sometimes it's difficult to understand why EVERYTHING happens for a reason. He's a lucky man to have you both in his life. Blessings to you!
Old 09-27-2017, 10:10 PM   #29299
Sous Chef

With everything going on lately it was nice to get away and watch my baby girl play some volleyball. Junior varsity but she's good. Got 3 points jn a row serving.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:01 PM   #29300
Head Chef

She's making some nice hits there, Jon.

Me, I'm just sitting here trying to figure out where Tuesday went to. I thought it was Tuesday this morning when I went to the library to turn in some books. The library opens later on Wednesday, so that was my first hint it wasn't Tuesday, but for the life of me, while I remember yesterday, it seems to me yesterday was Monday.

If I'm gonna go wonky in time, why can't I go back about 30 years and buy some Microsoft stock?

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote