"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #2981
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Well yes. Sun, sand and the ocean is the best, but failing that, tea tree oil works better than just about anything else. Keep it DRY DRY DRY and put tea tree oil on as often as you think of it.
I have never heard of that oil. I will try to find it. Keeping it dry & putting oil on it?
__________________

__________________
simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #2982
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
a nice wash in plain yogurt helps too.
I haven't thought of that yogurt treatment in eons. As a doctor once explained to me; The good bacteria in yogurt eats the bad bacteria in your intestinal tract. The same goes for Athletes Foot. The good bacteria in yogurt eats the bad bacteria in Athletes Foot. And it is bacteria that causes Atheletes Foot. Living in South Tropical Texas, it was a constant problem for my kids. Specially since the boys wore high top Keds. Sure did work though. And what didn't get used for the feet, went into their tummies. Today, they love yogurt. Me? YUK! I don't understand eating sour food.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #2983
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I have never heard of that oil. I will try to find it. Keeping it dry & putting oil on it?
Yep, wash in salt water if you can, dry it and then apply the tea tree oil. You can find it in most drugstores here in Canada. Costco even carries it. Its an herbal remedy that lots of folks use for a lice treatment, acne treatment and as an antifungal treatment. Athlete's foot is a fungal infection and tea tree oil works very well on it.

With all due respect to PF's expertise, we found the yogurt treatment makes the athlete's foot FEEL better but it doesn't work as fast. Its a fungal thing so you need an antifungal cream. OTC preps for yeast infections work too, again, more slowly than the tea tree oil

My niece had the worst athlete's foot I've ever seen and it took a LOT to get rid of it. I had a less serious bout of it and the tea tree oil gave me relief in 24 hours and it was completely gone in 72 hours.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #2984
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Yogurt works well on all kinds of itchies...
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #2985
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yogurt works well on all kinds of itchies...


Indeed it does. Have you ever tried the tea tree oil PF?
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #2986
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Yep, wash in salt water if you can, dry it and then apply the tea tree oil. You can find it in most drugstores here in Canada. Costco even carries it. Its an herbal remedy that lots of folks use for a lice treatment, acne treatment and as an antifungal treatment. Athlete's foot is a fungal infection and tea tree oil works very well on it.

With all due respect to PF's expertise, we found the yogurt treatment makes the athlete's foot FEEL better but it doesn't work as fast. Its a fungal thing so you need an antifungal cream. OTC preps for yeast infections work too, again, more slowly than the tea tree oil

My niece had the worst athlete's foot I've ever seen and it took a LOT to get rid of it. I had a less serious bout of it and the tea tree oil gave me relief in 24 hours and it was completely gone in 72 hours.
You had already mentioned Tea Tree Oil... More people have yogurt hanging around, though and until you can get your hands on tea tree...Walmart has the Tea Tree Oil, SB.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #2987
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post


Indeed it does. Have you ever tried the tea tree oil PF?
Yes, I have a couple of bottles of it. I use it as a foot soother and it keeps the cats from sleeping on my feet.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #2988
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Oh, I get you. What I meant was, have you used it for other stuff successfully? I swear this stuff is amazing.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #2989
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Oh, I get you. What I meant was, have you used it for other stuff successfully? I swear this stuff is amazing.
I put a few drops in my shampoo, stops itchy scalp. Apply to abrasions, not cuts. And it helps clear up zits I pick at. Helps with ingrown hairs too!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #2990
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
I doused myself in it after we had a lice epidemic at work about the same time they found bedbugs. :shudder: I stripped at the back door...bagged my clothes and took the hottest bath with tea tree oil in it.
__________________

__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.