What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am sitting here watching a show about commercial fishing out of Massachusetts ports. What has taken me by complete surprise is that all the old feelings of fear that came rushing back as I watch the boats battle a Nor'easter. The boats are out in the middle of the winter. Freezing cold. I remember my husband coming home with his hands so blue from being up in the rigging chipping off the ice. I need to change the channel. :angel:

Kicking back and saying "aaaaaahhh!" We just came home from a glorious 2-hour motorcycle ride. Today is one of those perfect postcard kind of days where the sun is out and the temperature is just right.

So....Glenn decided to test out his new knee he got less than a month ago and off we went.

Fantastic ride through beautiful countryside that is just showing some signs of the turning leaves. Our destination was "our" Dairy Queen in a college town about 15 miles away. It's a mom-and-pop establishment and has been in business since Glenn was a little boy.

It's open from March 1 to October 31 and we always make a point to be there on opening and closing days. However, this year we won't be able to be there when they close because we won't be in the area.

We each had one of their to-die-for foot long hot dogs. So delicious and, of course, we had ice cream.

Now we'll have to wait until March to visit our special place but it was lovely today.
Sounds like an absolutely wonderful day. Good for you taking a day off to just enjoy life for awhile. We could all learn from this...stop & smell the roses.:)

simonbaker said:
Sounds like an absolutely wonderful day. Good for you taking a day off to just enjoy life for awhile. We could all learn from this...stop & smell the roses.:)

+1

Well put!

Enjoyed 2 hours at the gym while the daughter was at a volleyball game. Dh had a nice dinner made when we got home. I just got the dishes done & finally sitting with my feet up in the recliner.

Yes, simonbaker, it was an incredible day and we did take time to "stop and smell the roses."

The temperature and humidity was perfect and the ride was nothing short of the absolute best.

I only wish we had another "longer" place to ride today.

We've been wanting to take Old Blue (the motorcycle) and ride to Lexington to visit one of our children.

Today would've been that "ideal" day but all the other pieces of the puzzle weren't quite in order. Man, oh man, we would've loved to have done it anyway because the weather conditions were absolutely perfect for just such a drive. There'll be another time, though.

. They found a large mass at the front of her brain. She is only 56 years old. She has two children.

So I sit here and wait. I guess I have to stick around a bit longer. Even it is just to make sure she is all right. I just can't lose another child. It is too hard. :angel:

I had a really long talk with my daughter last night. So I thought I would bring you an update about her. She went to see her surgeon. The internal sutures are still coming through her scalp as they melt. It is going to take a long time for that incision to heal.

She had a list of questions to ask him. He was so invasive. The one question she wanted answered was, "What kind of cancer do I have?" She had to get into an argument with him before he stopped ignoring her question. He finally told her. She couldn't pronounce it. So she made him write it down. When she got home she looked it up on the web. She now knows her prognosis. One to two years. Ninety percent of patients with this cancer do not survive. The family knew, but we were uncomfortable telling her. Since they found the cancer is Stage 3, I told her that there is a better chance of her being in the Two Percent that survive. I will grasp at any straw that will give her hope and the will to fight back.

Next week she sees her oncologists. She has more than one. She still has her list of unanswered questions. She did her first week of chemo. They gave her a very strong anti-nausea medications for her to take with the chemo meds. So she got through her first week pretty good. She finds that she needs to still take naps several times a day. I told her, that it normal.

Her attitude is really good. There has been a drastic change in her behavior and attitude since the surgery. My youngest son said this is quite common for the type of brain tumor she has. The pressure has been removed. We have a big Columbus Day parade coming this Sunday. This is a holiday that she has always celebrated with gusto. A house full of company and plenty of food to eat. To watch the parade this year she will be taking a chair with her to watch it. And (I hope) there will be no company sapping what little strength she has. I am going to make a large pan of mac and cheese with tomatoes for her.

The next big item I have to have her address is a will. I doubt I will get an argument on this. Her name along with her husband is on the deed to the house. Who gets her share of the house? And she has a retirement fund that will dispersed to whoever she wants. A lot of questions have to be answered. :angel:

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this. Let's hope she's in the two percent.

Typically, if a house is in the names of both husband and wife, the survivor gets complete ownership. I'd be very surprised if it was otherwise.

She can name any beneficiary(s) she wants on her retirement. She can divide it up by percentages.

So sorry to hear this. Let's hope she's in the two percent.

Typically, if a house is in the names of both husband and wife, the survivor gets complete ownership. I'd be very surprised if it was otherwise.

She can name any beneficiary(s) she wants on her retirement. She can divide it up by percentages.

You are right about the house, "unless" she states otherwise in her will. She wants her son to get her half. But then she has a daughter. I doubt she wants the house. She is more interested in the night life. :angel:

Oh Addie .. I am so sorry to hear all of this. We are hoping she is in that 2%. Huge hugs and prayers to you and the family. Keep us posted and if you need a shoulder to lean on we are all here for you.

Thank you to all of you. It does make a difference just knowing that I have friends I can turn to when I feel the need. I know some of my posts are long, but it is a big help just sharing it with all of you. Thank you so much for all of your support and prayers. {{{hugs back attcha!}}} :angel:

I'm about to head out to go "turkey shopping." One of the local chains has turkeys for 88 cents/lb. But there is a two turkey limit. So I have to hit 5 of these chain stores to get the # of turkeys we normally eat between October and April...I had other plans for this afternoon, but if we wait until tomorrow, the birds will be gone (special is today-Sunday--Rock--that is FB).

Addie said:
Thank you to all of you. It does make a difference just knowing that I have friends I can turn to when I feel the need. I know some of my posts are long, but it is a big help just sharing it with all of you. Thank you so much for all of your support and prayers. {{{hugs back attcha!}}} :angel:

So hoping for that 2%, Addie! Thoughts are with you.

I have not been up for long...had a lovely sleep in :)

Quiet, relaxing day in today for this lovely sunny Saturday!

CWS...I like your new avatar ;)

Nice, Kylie!

Picked the rest of the tomatoes (green), cukes and peppers, we may or may not get a freeze tonight. I think I'll cover the cherry toms and leave them out.

Love the avatar too, CW!

Last edited:
I went to see the Atwater Club with some of the other executive members of the Danish Club. We decided to have our annual Morten's Goose Supper there this year. It's really nice.

Now, we're getting ready to go out for supper to Mozza. Stirling says it's very nice. I haven't been there yet. It's walking distance, so I don't have to limit myself to two glasses of wine, since I won't be driving. w00t!

So hoping for that 2%, Addie! Thoughts are with you.

Thank you Dawg and Kylie. I went downstairs and out on the patio today. The weather was beautiful. Indian Summer is here. I took my sewing with me and was down there for four hours. Some of the residents came out and sat on the benches. They all asked about my daughter. I told them how she was doing. Then I mentioned the word "Cancer". You could see the recoil with fear on their face. It is a word no one wants to hear. It is probably the most feared word in our language.

I am not one to beat around the bush. Cancer is cancer. Not the Big C, or any of the other words people use. So when a person asks what is wrong, I tell them she has brain cancer. All of a sudden they change the subject. I am not offended. I do understand. It is quite an education though watching their reaction. Maybe if I use the word Cancer often enough they will become comfortable hearing it. My own feelings right now are anger. Why brain cancer? Why not uterine cancer? That can be cured rather quickly if caught early enough. I want to yell at God! He already took one daughter from me. Why does he need my other one? I don't say it is not fair. No one ever promised me fairness in my life. And no one ever told me that my life would be easy. But he took my youngest daughter by murder. And she left five kids behind. Now he gives my only daughter that is left with one of the cancers that has a lousy survivor rate. I am trying hard to find peace within myself. Maybe when I hear some good news about my daughter I can start there.:angel:

Back
Top Bottom