"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #3001
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
my granddaughter and fiancÚ just left. won't be back till monday. frankly i can us the quiet time. after the tension of cat saga,i am worn out. a nap is in my future.
__________________

__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #3002
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I am taking a quick breal before my busy weekend begins. The daughter has her piano guild today at the local college. Then, we have to go to Sam's & buy alot of groceries for a party of 650 thursday. After mass tomorrow it's back to work again. Enjoying this 2 hours of free time.
Don't you love shopping for large groups of people! I remember one wedding I did (400) I bought Costco out of pork loins (3 cases +), chicken thighs, chorizo sausage and strawberries (stuffing for the loins), lettuce, etc. We had 2 carts and a flat deck dolly absolutely crammed with stuff. And that was only one store. .

Glad you had a break this morning and hope the recital went well!
__________________

__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #3003
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
My daughter asked me to embroider a scarf and doilies for her bedroom dresser. The package arrived today. I have a stash of threads. Too many in fact. Some are DMC, JPC, etc. And of course none are numbered or labeled. My bad. So now I have to figure out what greens I need. The first one I am going to make is all green with small red berries. Those are French knots. It calls for threads from DMC. I could take a trip to the craft store and get the threads I need according to the chart. The threads I have are somewhat old. I should toss them out and start from scratch. In fact, I just talked myself into doing just that. Son #1 is coming back tomorrow to do more work on my computer. He doesn't know it yet, but he is going to take me to the craft store for a ten minute looksee and to get what I need.

kadesma, look into embroidering. Get a small stamped kit, (they come with the thread and chart) to keep your hands busy while you are sitting there for three hours. The kits are about $3.99 and a hoop about $1.99. They have a lot of adorable one for kids rooms. Joann Fabric Stores has the best selection. Another good site is Herrschners. But they tend to be more expensive and cater to the more experienced person. All the ones I have made over the years for the kids, they now have them in their home for their kids rooms.

I made a couple of 4x6 ones with plastic frames for my daughter's bathroom about 35 years ago. She still has them hanging up. They are now brown with age and very fragile. But she won't take them down. They have traveled to every home she has ever lived in. I got them at some stupid house party. You know. Like Tupperware. They were the cheapest thing I could find to buy that night. Who knew they would become such treasures.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #3004
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My daughter asked me to embroider a scarf and doilies for her bedroom dresser. The package arrived today. I have a stash of threads. Too many in fact. Some are DMC, JPC, etc. And of course none are numbered or labeled. My bad. So now I have to figure out what greens I need. The first one I am going to make is all green with small red berries. Those are French knots. It calls for threads from DMC. I could take a trip to the craft store and get the threads I need according to the chart. The threads I have are somewhat old. I should toss them out and start from scratch. In fact, I just talked myself into doing just that. Son #1 is coming back tomorrow to do more work on my computer. He doesn't know it yet, but he is going to take me to the craft store for a ten minute looksee and to get what I need.

kadesma, look into embroidering. Get a small stamped kit, (they come with the thread and chart) to keep your hands busy while you are sitting there for three hours. The kits are about $3.99 and a hoop about $1.99. They have a lot of adorable one for kids rooms. Joann Fabric Stores has the best selection. Another good site is Herrschners. But they tend to be more expensive and cater to the more experienced person. All the ones I have made over the years for the kids, they now have them in their home for their kids rooms.

I made a couple of 4x6 ones with plastic frames for my daughter's bathroom about 35 years ago. She still has them hanging up. They are now brown with age and very fragile. But she won't take them down. They have traveled to every home she has ever lived in. I got them at some stupid house party. You know. Like Tupperware. They were the cheapest thing I could find to buy that night. Who knew they would become such treasures.
thanks Addie,
I use to do all kinds of embroidry just haven't done it in years. I love cross stitch but I can only move one arm all the way the other I can only bend from the elbow so I'll see how it goes and give it a try.
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #3005
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
my granddaughter and fiancÚ just left. won't be back till monday. frankly i can us the quiet time. after the tension of cat saga,i am worn out. a nap is in my future.
Take that nap and just kick back and enjoy the quiet. You deserve the peace.
Glad your critters are home.
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #3006
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
thanks Addie,
I use to do all kinds of embroidry just haven't done it in years. I love cross stitch but I can only move one arm all the way the other I can only bend from the elbow so I'll see how it goes and give it a try.
kades
An 8" hoop should be ideal for you then. You can hold it with the resricted arm and sew with the other. The nice thing with cross stitch, you can sew with either hand. Good luck.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #3007
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
thanks Addie,
I use to do all kinds of embroidry just haven't done it in years. I love cross stitch but I can only move one arm all the way the other I can only bend from the elbow so I'll see how it goes and give it a try.
kades
Maybe trying plastic canvas work might be better for you, Ma. It is similar to cross stitch (counting instead of a printed design) and needlepoint (an open style canvas) but the stiffer plastic would be easier to hold with your bad arm. My sister in law does it all the time. There are thousands of Ideas out there.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #3008
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Preakness is about to run...
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #3009
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Maybe trying plastic canvas work might be better for you, Ma. It is similar to cross stitch (counting instead of a printed design) and needlepoint (an open style canvas) but the stiffer plastic would be easier to hold with your bad arm. My sister in law does it all the time. There are thousands of Ideas out there.
Thanks for the Idea LP I love both cross stitch and needlepoint will look into it. Oh boy I'm so glad to find something to do I like. You made my day
ma
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #3010
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Preakness is about to run...
I am watching it.

Still haven't solved my problem. I guess the guys in the back room will be back to work on Monday. Here's hoping.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.