What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to hear that :( Migraines are nasty! Have you tried rubbing some peppermint oil on you temples? It really helps to relieve the pain and if you don't have the oil on hand steaming yourself with mint or drinking a cup of mint tea and inhaling the steam works too.
Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks, Snip. Yes, peppermint or ginger work well for me. It isn't quite a migraine but I am not trying to keep it that way. It has tried a couple of times but subsided to a regular headache quickly.

Thanks, Snip. Yes, peppermint or ginger work well for me. It isn't quite a migraine but I am not trying to keep it that way. It has tried a couple of times but subsided to a regular headache quickly.

I use peppermint and ginger too. Ginger for the nausea and peppermint for the pain. If I don't catch mine when my flashing starts it's game over for 3 days sometimes longer.
I really do hope for your sake it gets better soon!

I'm sitting here pouting about the snow flying outside. I know it won't last but I'm irritated to see it so early anyway. I was sitting outside in capris on Saturday for goodness sakes! The birds are all poofed up like little puffballs, guess they're feeling the cold too.

When I was a kid, I read "My Friend Flika" by Mary O'Hara. There is a section in there where Rob McLaughlin mentions that there is snow already on the mountains. They have to get the horses rounded up before the first snow storm comes. It is July in Wyoming. I thought that the author was making that up. It never snows before November. Or so I thought as a fifth grader. :angel:

Good morning!

Chilly start to the day here but I love it...I wish it was Winter again :)

Off to do some grocery shopping this morning :)

Gearing up to clean the kitchen and dung out the refrigerator. The fridge guy is supposed to come tomorrow and fix the broken deli drawer post and replace the gasket on our 2 year old fridge, which I happily discovered is still under warrantee! Yay! DH may have to supervise as I have meetings all afternoon, unless fridge guy comes in the morning, then I can break away.

Had deep water class tonight at they gym. Dh made some nice sole for supper tonight then off to bring the daughter to piano lessons. Sitting & relaxing. Busy day at work today.

Busy day for you guys

I have done the grocery shopping, been to the doctors and now all rugged up at home as it is so cold today

Today is a gorgeous Fall day. After yesterday's continual rain and wind we needed this. So I am hoping to mow the yard for maybe the next to last time and brush hog out back for definitely the last time of the season.

For the last 1-1/2 hours though, before I can mow, I have been busy with my nut wizard :ermm:
nut wizard.jpg

Another 1-1/2 hours and I should be good to go :cool:
I'm glad I only have to do this every other year.

Today is a gorgeous Fall day. After yesterday's continual rain and wind we needed this. So I am hoping to mow the yard for maybe the next to last time and brush hog out back for definitely the last time of the season.

For the last 1-1/2 hours though, before I can mow, I have been busy with my nut wizard :ermm:
View attachment 15937

I'm baffled. "brush hog out back", what does that mean?

What kind of nuts are those? Walnuts? Why do you only have to do it every other year? :unsure:

I'm baffled. "brush hog out back", what does that mean?

What kind of nuts are those? Walnuts? Why do you only have to do it every other year? :unsure:

A brush/bush hog is an attachment that goes on a tractor that mows heavy grasses/brush/bush. We have one on our tractor that Glenn clears the fields with a couple of times a year.

What kind of nuts are those? You lucky bum! I'd love to have nuts in my backyard. I just have nuts in the house! :LOL:

View attachment 15937

Any tips on an easy way to crack those black walnuts?

Whenever I read the title of this thread, shown on the sidebar here ( i.e."what are you doing?")....I'm tempted to reply to it:

"talking to you, dearie".

Any tips on an easy way to crack those black walnuts?

I remember when my sister was a teenager, she had a belt made of black walnuts. They were sliced about 1/8" think, heavily varnished and a leather thong woven throughout it. It was really pretty. Now her son has one growing in his back yard, He had no idea what kind of nuts they were. Just that they were/are a nuisance to clean up. One year he had a company come in and prune the tree hoping it would cut bak on the fallen nuts. It just increased the yield. The family is still laughing at that one. :angel:

I remember when my sister was a teenager, she had a belt made of black walnuts. They were sliced about 1/8" think, heavily varnished and a leather thong woven throughout it. It was really pretty. Now her son has one growing in his back yard, He had no idea what kind of nuts they were. Just that they were/are a nuisance to clean up. One year he had a company come in and prune the tree hoping it would cut bak on the fallen nuts. It just increased the yield. The family is still laughing at that one. :angel:

Take good care of that tree, the wood from a black walnut tree can be worth quite a bit of money.

My stepfather used to make those little varnished rounds from a butternut. My mom and her friends used them for buttons on sweaters.

We used to have to crack butternuts and black walnuts if we were caught moping around the house complaining that we had nothing to do. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

We had to keep one jar for the whole nuts and one for the broken nuts. The butternuts went into cookies and the black walnuts went into fudge. :pig:

Last edited:
Take good care of that tree, the wood from a black walnut tree can be worth quite a bit of money.

My stepfather used to make those little varnished rounds from a butternut. My mom and her friends used them for buttons on sweaters.

We used to have to crack butternuts and black walnuts if we were caught moping around the house complaining that we had nothing to do. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

We had to keep one jar for the whole nuts and one for the broken nuts. The butternuts went into cookies and the black walnuts went into fudge. :pig:

The sorriest words a child can utter.

The kids had finished opening all their Christmas presents. Son #2 was whining. "I have nothing to do!" Oh oh! Hubby picked him up and tossed him right into the pile of toys under the tree. "PLAY! And if you can't find anything to play with, I will toss all those toys out!" :angel:

Back
Top Bottom