What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, black walnuts.
And everyone is welcome to them! They are NOT something you want to run over with the mower and send shooting towards the house. :ohmy:

I used to have three or four pear trees and they only produced every other year, too. I heard it had something to do with the health or age of the trees.

Brush hog = rotary cutter = what Katie said :D

Black walnuts are supposed to be tastier than English walnuts but super difficult to remove the shell. Is there no market for them?

Yep, black walnuts.
And everyone is welcome to them! They are NOT something you want to run over with the mower and send shooting towards the house. :ohmy:

I used to have three or four pear trees and they only produced every other year, too. I heard it had something to do with the health or age of the trees.

Brush hog = rotary cutter = what Katie said :D

The problem with fruit bearing treas is that the ones that fall to the ground attract hornets and other nectar lovin' stinging critters. Never plant a fruit bearing tree near a entryway to any building.

Also, as pretty as they may look, do not plant flowers along the sides of a walkway to your home. For the same reason. You will be running the gauntlet of stinging nectar lovers. BTW, bees love the color blue more than any other color. :angel:

Today is a gorgeous Fall day. After yesterday's continual rain and wind we needed this. So I am hoping to mow the yard for maybe the next to last time and brush hog out back for definitely the last time of the season.

For the last 1-1/2 hours though, before I can mow, I have been busy with my nut wizard :ermm:
View attachment 15937

Another 1-1/2 hours and I should be good to go :cool:
I'm glad I only have to do this every other year.

Those are the biggest nuts I've ever seen Pacman :LOL:
Seriously, I have never seen black walnuts. Just regular ones in pkts on the supermarket shelf!

Black walnuts are supposed to be tastier than English walnuts but super difficult to remove the shell. Is there no market for them?

Good question.
I was told someone used to come over and gather them before I moved here. I don't know what they did with them other than leave with them. I would love someone to knock on the door and ask, "Are you going to use those walnuts?" :LOL:

Seriously, I have never seen black walnuts. Just regular ones in pkts on the supermarket shelf!

I like the kind that come in a plastic bag, too.

Good question.
I was told someone used to come over and gather them before I moved here. I don't know what they did with them other than leave with them. I would love someone to knock on the door and ask, "Are you going to use those walnuts?" :LOL:

I like the kind that come in a plastic bag, too.

It must be pretty cool having all of that in your yard! Don't think they even grow walnuts in SA.
We did have 23 Macadamia Nut trees in our yard when I was a teenager.
We spent many afternoons sitting outside with a brick each and as many Macadamias as we could eat. Man I miss those days!

If you had said something sooner I would have traded you a couple bucket loads of black walnuts for a SA Boerboel, lol.

And they aren't very cool when you have to walk through them. Real ankle turners.

If you had said something sooner I would have traded you a couple bucket loads of black walnuts for a SA Boerboel, lol.

And they aren't very cool when you have to walk through them. Real ankle turners.
( pretty sure they're not cool to walk through!)

I had the most adorable Boerboel Sasha. Had to give her away when we moved to Botswana. If I'd known you then I would have given her to you for free. Seems like she got a good home though. Her new owner says his kids love her to bits and they let her sleep on the bed :)

You all most need an axe to break them apart. My nephew put some in a vise on his workbench. Thought they would never give. If you plan on eating them, you need to sweeten the earth around the tree with a good helping of lime. Same goes for all the chestnut trees that grow in abundance in this area. :angel:

Have not been up for long!

Going out to do a couple of MS jobs this morning and then it is the ironing and some washing etc

Hope everyone is having a great day/night :)

There is a green outer layer before you get to the shell. They look about the same size as the ones from my aunt's tree in Denmark.

I have one :wacko: son. Son #1's wife's cousin has had three open heart surgeries. Her doctor wants her to get out and walk every day. So,.... Since he walks Teddy every morning, he will be stopping by Denise's house first thing in the morning and take her walking with him and the dog. So tonight he ordered a dog collar in pink with her name in rhinestones on it. She does have a good sense of humor. I just hope she hasn't lost it when she sees the collar. :wacko::angel:

Good evening/morning everyone :)

I have had a busy day!

Been at work this morning and then this afternoon I have been doing some washing and some ironing...then I cut Steve's hair when he got home from work

Now relaxing with a hot cup of tea and some biscuits :yum:

I have the office to myself today and hopefully get an hour with Roe in. She is a great distraction. Radio tuned to my station, windows open for cool air. I'm all set.

Up rather earlier than I would like after an evening shift. I'll try to pull myself together and get going to a yoga class today.

Just getting over a very sore back. This is the third day and it is finally feeling a little better.I could barely walk yesterday. My DH got a double load of fire wood delivered the other day and I was helping him load it into a wheel barrel and take it around back to his work shop. I asked him if this wood would last him all winter and he said no that he would have to get more, I told him he would have to get some one else to help him the next time.

Well, since it's "Kaboom Friday" as Glenn puts it, I'm finishing up cleaning the bathrooms, kitchen and utility room and have the first of three loads of laundry in the washer. It's overcast but I'm still going to hang our sheets out on the line. I'm stubborn that way.

He started calling Friday "Kaboom Friday" because that's some of the line of products I use in the bathrooms. It's silly but it stuck and Friday will forever more be called that I suppose.:rolleyes:

The cleaning should be done in about 30 more minutes and then I can devote the remainder of my morning to baking cookies. Yeah!

Nothing like a clean house that smells of something baking! Doesn't get much better than that.

I agree Katie, I love the smell of baking in the house :)

This morning Steve and I are going for a walk through Cobbler Creek, we are going to take the camera too and get some nice shots...just have to wait for him to get out of bed :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom