"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #301
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Spent the better part of the day wrapping Christmas presents and packing the boxes that need to be shipped, printed out the USPS shipping labels and have the boxes by the door ready to take to the post office.

I was quite surprised at the difference in cost between USPS and UPS to ship these packages. I did everything online and was pleased to discover that the postal service offers a 15% discount if you pay for and print your postage using their online service. Well, there's no downside to this.

All said and done, instead to having to go to UPS and pay $40 to ship my boxes, I did it sitting in my comfy chair and paid $24 to do it. Yeah! I'm a happy camper.

Two more boxes to ship and there's no question which route I'll take.
Great job, Katie!

Old 11-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #302
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Spent the better part of the day wrapping Christmas presents and packing the boxes that need to be shipped, printed out the USPS shipping labels and have the boxes by the door ready to take to the post office.

I was quite surprised at the difference in cost between USPS and UPS to ship these packages. I did everything online and was pleased to discover that the postal service offers a 15% discount if you pay for and print your postage using their online service. Well, there's no downside to this.

All said and done, instead to having to go to UPS and pay $40 to ship my boxes, I did it sitting in my comfy chair and paid $24 to do it. Yeah! I'm a happy camper.

That is cool. I think you can even call the USPS for free pick up.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #303
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H

Good job, Katie!

The last few times I tried to print out labels for packages to send through USPS, their site said the service was unavailable unless I used their Priority Mail boxes or envelopes. I've always packaged my own, and had never had a problem printing shipping labels until a couple months ago. Wonder what's up with that?
Old 11-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #304
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Good job, Katie!

The last few times I tried to print out labels for packages to send through USPS, their site said the service was unavailable unless I used their Priority Mail boxes or envelopes. I've always packaged my own, and had never had a problem printing shipping labels until a couple months ago. Wonder what's up with that?
Their boxes and envelopes are all evenly sized for their machines and easy to spot for handling, makes sorting go faster. At least, that is my guess.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:17 PM   #305
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Their boxes and envelopes are all evenly sized for their machines and easy to spot for handling, makes sorting go faster. At least, that is my guess.
I want to avoid trips to the PO, and now I can't even print labels at home. I'm wondering if it has to do with the size of our small local PO. I may have to call them. Grrr.

I'm still finding space for all the wonderful Costco stuff! Cooked a pound of bacon in the oven for freezing, and repackaged a bunch of stuff for storage.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:22 PM   #306
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I like going to the post Office, I have a few people there I like seeing and we have great conversations. They agree with me that there should be a Valium Salt Lick in the PO lobby.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #307
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
I like going to the post Office, I have a few people there I like seeing and we have great conversations. They agree with me that there should be a Valium Salt Lick in the PO lobby.
Now there's an idea!
Old 11-27-2011, 12:19 AM   #308
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Friday treatments tend to wipe me out, so today was spent watching all 3 LOTR movies. Such a great trilogy. I hate wasting the day away, but I wasn't good for much else.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:25 AM   #309
Chef Extraordinaire

hope you're felling better, tatt.

i saw that the trilogy was on today. i wanted to record it, but i just recorded 12 hours of st:tng on bba america on thursday, so i ran out of room, lol. i need to get a big esata drive.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:29 AM   #310
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
hope you're felling better, tatt.

i saw that the trilogy was on today. i wanted to record it, but i just recorded 12 hours of st:tng on bba america on thursday, so i ran out of room, lol. i need to get a big esata drive.
I love the BBCA lineup. You into Top Gear at all? Perhaps one of my favorites shows of all time.

Thanks. I went through this a year ago so I know what to expect, and this was session 7 out of 9(all oral, no infusions this tine around), hopefully over the hump.