"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2019, 05:59 PM   #31161
Executive Chef

Congrats Jon, on those fine boys going in good directions. We are beginning putting in the gardens. Our official planting date is next week. We are ahead on soy beans, potatoes, some onions. Peppers and tomatoes start going in next week. Then cucumbers, herb plants, chick peas after that. Carrots and beets. We are harvesting asparagus now.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:23 PM   #31162
Chef Extraordinaire

I am still on a high from all I did this morning. Anyone need the house painted, CG, forget selling the house you are in now. I will build you a new one and you can rent this one out. No charge. Just let me know. One or two stories. With or without an attic or cellar. You can tell me what you want in your new house and it will be there.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:32 PM   #31163
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jon View Post
Had awards night for the Cub Scouts. Zane is a Bear now.
Also Jasper graduated pre School. He will be in Kindergarten next year and joins Cub Scouts. Some of you will remember that he was allergic to almost everything when he was born. That was one reason why I joined this group. Now he has outgrown all of them. Attachment 34917Attachment 34918

Great pics of your handsome little guys, Jon! So glad to hear that little Jasper has outgrown his allergies. My grandson Tyler had a couple of food allergies as well when he was little, but not to the extent of your little Jasper. Now that Tyler is almost 9, he's outgrown them as well.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #31164
Chef Extraordinaire

Good news, Addie. Keep up the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jon View Post
Had awards night for the Cub Scouts. Zane is a Bear now.
Also Jasper graduated pre School. He will be in Kindergarten next year and joins Cub Scouts...
Your boys look like the sweetest, Jon! I bet they're both "all boy", though. They sure are growing up. Very happy that Jasper's allergies are all gone.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. ~ BB King
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:13 PM   #31165
Head Chef

I can't remember if I told anyone here I bought a trailer. Well, what with one thing or the other, it will really be too much for me to work on by myself. So I've decided to sell it. The buyer gave me a down payment for it and will pay me the rest next week.

Naturally, one of my friends rounded up four of her relatives who said they would help me fix it up for free just two days later. But one of the people she talked to is her BIL and his house burned down not too long ago. I know he has his hands full, so I don't want to put this trailer thing on him. They absolutely refuse to accept payment.

Once the trailer is gone, the person who will be doing my water will be able to get up to my lot and start that (no, there still isn't water on my lot yet - URK!).

Once the water is on the lot, I have a tent I'll live in for the rest of the summer and then sometime this fall, I'll buy a storage shed to put my stuff in. After that, I'll move into my car like I had originally planned.

Meantime, it looks like I might be here in subsidized housing a little longer, something I'm not at all happy about.

So things are still sort of going to plan, just a lot slower than I had hoped for.

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:15 PM   #31166
Chef Extraordinaire

Long 12 hour day at work. I just got out of the shower & am feeling very relaxed.
simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:35 PM   #31167
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
RR, sorry to hear that you have to sell the trailer. That must be a disappointment. Hang in there.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:23 AM   #31168
Head Chef

Nah, I shouldn't have bought the trailer. If I saved a little more, I could have gotten something much better.

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:22 PM   #31169
Chef Extraordinaire

Too bad about the trailer not working out, rr, and too bad about all the problems with being stuck in your apartment.

It was a busy day around here, what with a doctor appointment for me (bad news for Himself: he's still stuck with a healthy me), other errands...and then I painted our wooden porch rocker while listening to a very exciting baseball game. Oh, and two loads of laundry, too - but truth be told, the machines do most of the work since I no longer have to beat our clothes on a rock in the stream behind our house.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. ~ BB King
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:56 AM   #31170
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm sitting here in stun mode. A very sweet friend went into the hospital a few days ago for heart surgery. She was in intensive care after the surgery and she died tonight. She was half a year younger than me.

Her poor husband must be devastated. They would have been married for 40 years this August. He was absolutely devoted to her. I really don't know how he is going to cope emotionally. I'm just glad that they have three, sensible, young, adult children here in Montreal. My heart is breaking for that family.