"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #3211
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Justplainbill's post inspired me to do a bit of net searching for a wallet for Stirling. He has some pretty stringent requirements and we haven't been able to find anything that meets all of them.

I can't believe anyone makes a wallet with only three credit card slots nowadays. I have 14 cards before I start counting the credit cards. That doesn't count the two library cards I want to have again.
What are Stirling's requirements? I've seen lots of wallets because Shrek has a fetish for ordering them...

Old 06-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #3212
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I make mine out of duct tape...

Old 06-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #3213
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
What are Stirling's requirements? I've seen lots of wallets because Shrek has a fetish for ordering them...
Hmmm, let's see if I can remember it all. Got to have room for lots of cards; two sections for paper money (e.g., for two currencies); has to have a coin section; and it has to fit in his back pocket; needs to have at least one extra section for receipts, loyalty clip cards, etc. I think that's it. When I say lots of cards, I mean he needs room for 12-14 cards minimum. He doesn't need room for photos.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #3214
Senior Cook

I'm having a couple of beers with my brother in law. Good times.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #3215
Chef Extraordinaire

We went to a role playing game tonight. Driving in Montreal is a real PITA at the moment. The Ville Marie tunnel got flooded in a torrential downpour earlier in the week and is closed so they can drain it. It's part of the highway I usually take to get there. Because it was closed, the other East-West highway, the Trans-Canada highway, was backed up, even more than usual for "rush" hour. It took an hour and a half to drive 30 kms (less than 19 miles). I also hit pot hole, because the traffic didn't let me play dodgem around it.

Coming home was equally frustrating and took about an hour for 33 kms at 22h. We had to take a longer route home because the annual "Tour de Nuit" (night time bicycle marathon) was taking place and lots of streets were blocked off. The detour took us through downtown with all the Friday night traffic. We also had to make sure we avoided the nightly demonstration. Oh and there were detours in both directions due to construction. Great fun.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:29 AM   #3216
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Hmmm, let's see if I can remember it all. Got to have room for lots of cards; two sections for paper money (e.g., for two currencies); has to have a coin section; and it has to fit in his back pocket; needs to have at least one extra section for receipts, loyalty clip cards, etc. I think that's it. When I say lots of cards, I mean he needs room for 12-14 cards minimum. He doesn't need room for photos.

I'll check the stack of catalogs and keep it in mind while I'm out and about.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #3217
Chef Extraordinaire

So here it is Saturday. I actually slept the whole night through. Something I haven't done in weeks. I woke up around 7 a.m. and paid all my bills except writing out my rent check. Cooked up a couple of chicken thighs for Teddy Bear. Took care of some trash baskets, and am feeling just fine for a change.

I just looked out the window. It is pouring out and there is a landscaping truck out there unloading their mowers and other equipment. Uh oh! Sounds like they are mowing our property. Have they lost their mind? In pouring rain? The blade is going to be getting clogged continuously.

Yesterday the Physical Therapy Department and the salesman showed me my new scooter. I love it. It does go much faster then my present one and will travel further. I should have it by the end of the month. I am so excited.

Yesterday I had a heart incident that scared me. All of a sudden my heart started to race. I put the cuff on and checked it. My heart rate was 127. And instead of having pain in just a small spot on my arm like I usually do, there was pain in the whole upper part of my arm. I was going to call 911, but I hesitated because I didn't want to jeopardize the eye surgery. I remembered that in previous episodes as soon as the fire department (the first to respond) put the oxygen on me, I was all right. So I sat still and started to take in some very deep breaths. I also took a shot of liquid nitro. Within a couple of seconds the pain subsided and it took about five minutes for the racing heart beat to get back to normal. I have an appointment with the anesthesia doctor on the 7th. I will mention this episode to him. He may just nix the surgery. But that is something I will have to live with. The eye team does not like to work on a patient that has had a heart attack in the past year. And I think this is what I had. A mild heart attack. I have had one before that felt just like yesterday. Only that time I did call 911. All the time this was going on, I had the phone in my hand for "just in case" I needed to call 911.

Yesterday confirmed my worries. I am nervous about them putting a needle in my eye to numb it. That is my biggest worry. I know they will put drops in first to numb it and I will be medicated. but will I be medicated enough to be calm? Will I be so nervous that it will bring on another episode like yesterday?
Old 06-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #3218
Chef Extraordinaire

(((Hugs Addie)))

The second thing you are supposed to do if you have a heart attack, after calling 911, is unlock your door, so the paramedics can get in. You might be unconscious by the time they get there. I don't know if that is relevant in your case. Can they get the key from reception or someone else?

Sending healing vibes in your direction and keeping my fingers crossed for your good health.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #3219
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
(((Hugs Addie)))

The second thing you are supposed to do if you have a heart attack, after calling 911, is unlock your door, so the paramedics can get in. You might be unconscious by the time they get there. I don't know if that is relevant in your case. Can they get the key from reception or someone else?

Sending healing vibes in your direction and keeping my fingers crossed for your good health.
The front door lock on my building is the same on all elderly housing buildings. It is the same key the mailman has to enter as our mailboxes are inside. The fire department (the first responders) and the paramedics all have that same key. They also have the key to hold the elevator on the floor so no residents can call it to their floor during an emergency. As for my door, maintenance has a master key along with management to my apartment. But I have claustrophobia really bad. As a result, my door is never locked. Just thinking about it brings on a sense of panic.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #3220
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm about to head out to a "Grundlovsdag" (Danish for constitution day) celebration. It's being organized by the three Danish clubs here in Montreal. It should be fun. Smoked salmon, steak, dessert, snaps, & beer included.

Now, let's see what Montreal traffic has in store for me. I'll probably get there a half hour early. Well, that's better than getting there late and having to hunt for a parking spot in the rain.