"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #3311
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The site probably belongs to a company that sells migraine cures.
I used to work for Wyeth Pharmaceuitical. They would do that to get patients for a new drug they were testing. They also had a plethera of doctors that would enroll their patients. Some programs pay you cash. Some they give prizes, and some are like the previous. You are entered into a drawing.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #3312
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i've been smiling for hours; i think my face is going to crack.
my little league baseball team beat the best team in the league tonight, 3 to 1. the best part was that my son pitched a soreless final inning to record the save, first walking two, but then he struck out the side to seal the win! woohoo!!!
even more amazing was that it was his first time ever pitching. i had no idea he could be a hurler, but the head coach saw something in the way he threw out on the field tonight during warmups.

littla mariano was born today.

the head coach awarded him the game ball, so i'm going to write the teams, score, and date on it and pick up one of those little clear plastic boxes so he can keep it on his dresser.

later, i found out that he was voted by the league coaches to be on the all star team. he's gonna be thrilled when i tell him in the morning.

it was a great night for him, and his poor old papa too.
Bucky my son was involved with Little League for more than 30 years. I am going to show him your post. He will be so happy just as I am, for you and your son. I wish I could be there in the stands with you to cheer him on. Sounds like you have one great kid there. Cngratulation Proud Papa!

Old 06-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #3313
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I used to work for Wyeth Pharmaceuitical. They would do that to get patients for a new drug they were testing. They also had a plethera of doctors that would enroll their patients. Some programs pay you cash. Some they give prizes, and some are like the previous. You are entered into a drawing.
Addie, my Dad worked for Wyeth as a detailer for many years, first in Northern Saskatchewan traveling 5 days a week meeting with doctors, giving them samples, getting feedback, etc. He got a transfer when I was 7 out here to B.C. where his route was tighter and he came home nights. He went back to being a pharmacist, buying his own business, which he had until he retired.

I don't know when you worked for them or with what products but I was one of the first babies to be fed SMA! I turned out all right so it must have been good!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #3314
Chef Extraordinaire

getting ready to have an alcohol beverage. i missed my dr. appointment. my ride forgot about it. agrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #3315
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks dawg, taxy, lp, andy, k.t.h., and addie (about my boy).

as i've said before, he's such a good kd that he makes being a dad easy and fun.

wow, is he having a good week. he pitched yesterday, got 7 belt loops and 3 arrow points (like merit badges) awarded tonight at cub scouts, and monday he finds out that he's student of the year for his second grade class.

and he was tested to have an i.q. of 130, so the school strongly suggested he goes into the "gifted" classes again next year.

i prayed a lot just to have a good kid. i guess they do get answered sometimes...

i dunno, it must be me, but the more he accomplishes the more afraid that something will go wrong. gotta keep him grounded, like my grands, dad and brother before me.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #3316
Certified Pretend Chef

BT, with you for a dad the kid is golden. Keep doing what you're doing and you all will be fine.

Make sure he can handle adversity. Things come more easily for gifted kids and they sometimes grow up not being equipped to handle a failure.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #3317
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
BT, with you for a dad the kid is golden. Keep doing what you're doing and you all will be fine.

Make sure he can handle adversity. Things come more easily for gifted kids and they sometimes grow up not being equipped to handle a failure.
+1.

Very well said, Andy!
Old 06-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #3318
Chef Extraordinaire

Like Andy said. And let him work for the things he wants in life. Just don't hand everything to him. Just follow the rules your father used on you, and he will turn out fine. Raising a gifted child is a challenge. I know. I had two of them. Both of them boys. The youngest one is practicing emergency medicine. The other one can build you a house all by himself and is also a computer geek. He builds computers for the family. He has his own contracting business They both gave me aggravation galore. But their accomplishments can only make me prouder each day. And your son will do the same for you. It already sounds like you and your wife are on the right track. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #3319
Chef Extraordinaire

One more thing bt. I love hearing about his accomplishments. So please keep the stories coming.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #3320
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
thanks dawg, taxy, lp, andy, k.t.h., and addie (about my boy).

as i've said before, he's such a good kd that he makes being a dad easy and fun.

wow, is he having a good week. he pitched yesterday, got 7 belt loops and 3 arrow points (like merit badges) awarded tonight at cub scouts, and monday he finds out that he's student of the year for his second grade class.

and he was tested to have an i.q. of 130, so the school strongly suggested he goes into the "gifted" classes again next year.

i prayed a lot just to have a good kid. i guess they do get answered sometimes...

i dunno, it must be me, but the more he accomplishes the more afraid that something will go wrong. gotta keep him grounded, like my grands, dad and brother before me.
Sorry I missed answering your original post, BT. But I did read it the other night and was so excited for you and your boy! Looks like your Father's Day present has come a bit early!