"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #3331
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I must live a sheltered life. I don't know what disc golfing is. Please enlighten me.
Frisbee golf. You toss frisbees at particular targets and count how many tries to hit the target.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #3332
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks, Alix.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #3333
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm trying to figure out my new, portable disk drive. I have to decide if I want it to do continuous backups or if I just want to copy stuff onto it. Probably the latter, but the instructions are confusing. 75 pages of PDF manual! I have had it for about two months and just didn't get around to doing anything with it.

This has become important because earlier, when I rebooted the desk top machine, it gave me all kinds of scary messages about a corrupted file system. I had Stirling look at it and he said the boot disk might be borked. Eventually he turned off the machine; waited a few minutes; and turned it back on. It worked, but, of course, now I am concerned about the health of that disk drive.

Okay, enough procrastinating, it's time to backup that hard drive.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #3334
Executive Chef

Watching Lawrence Welk and supervising (providing helpful suggestions) to my galley 'slave'.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #3335
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Watching Lawrence Welk and supervising (providing helpful suggestions) to my galley 'slave'.
I guess we have one thing in common, Lawrence Welk!

When that ends I can watch the tired old reruns of Keeping Up Appearances and Are You Being Served.

I love those 70's Britcoms!

Another wild Saturday night at my place!
Old 06-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #3336
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm trying to figure out my new, portable disk drive. I have to decide if I want it to do continuous backups or if I just want to copy stuff onto it. Probably the latter, but the instructions are confusing. 75 pages of PDF manual! I have had it for about two months and just didn't get around to doing anything with it.

This has become important because earlier, when I rebooted the desk top machine, it gave me all kinds of scary messages about a corrupted file system. I had Stirling look at it and he said the boot disk might be borked. Eventually he turned off the machine; waited a few minutes; and turned it back on. It worked, but, of course, now I am concerned about the health of that disk drive.

Thanks for your post. It reminded me to do an incremental weekly backup of my critical data. I'm running under Vista 'Ultimate' on my main machine but use Win '98, Win 7 and Win XP- SP3 on my other machines. The way I figure it, the data is about the only thing that requires frequent backup; since I hope to be able to process that data on my other machines when the main machine's disk fails. In the old days ( back in 1995), this was referred to as a disaster recovery plan and I had the 'pleasure' of participating with such planning with an organization that was housed in the North tower of the World Trade Center in NYC.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #3337
Chef Extraordinaire

went to 7 rummage sales today. It was so hot with htis 91F weather we're having today. Soaked some corn on the cob with plans to put it on the grill with a beer can chicken. Relaxing with a cold one on a hot night.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #3338
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I guess we have one thing in common, Lawrence Welk!

When that ends I can watch the tired old reruns of Keeping Up Appearances and Are You Being Served.

I love those 70's Britcoms!

Another wild Saturday night at my place!
IMHO, Hyacinth is not nearly as funny as her husband, sister, and brother-in-law, but she seems to have many of the qualities of some of this forum's posters.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #3339
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix

Frisbee golf. You toss frisbees at particular targets and count how many tries to hit the target.
Right, except that Frisbee is a brand of discs :) It's great exercise because the best courses are all up and down hill. It's actually how my bf and I met- on the disc golf course!
Old 06-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #3340
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

I keep thinking that if you backup continuously, you'd end up backing up any problems/viruses you may get later on. I'd backup on a regular basis when everything is working well.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote