"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #3491
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh babetoo, you must learn to move more slowly now. We are not young anymore. Our body wants to slow down. I know it is a hard lesson to learn. It is akin to giving up. But it is just the opposite. It is a whole new learning curve as we get older. It just makes us smarter with more knowledge. And it gives us more wisdom that we can share with the youngsters.

One day the doorbell rang. I jumped up too fast and my legs were not happy. I knew I was going down. So I leaned against something and slid down. I couldn't get back up. The person at the door was the pharmacy delivery. He came in after I didn't answer his knock. Saw me on the floor and immediately called 911. When they came, I told them what happened and they helped me get up again. Imagine what would have happened if I insisted on trying to walk when my legs said "No." I could have broken a hip or worse. Even more bones. And the same goes for you. And this is not your first fall. That was my first and only fall. I do not plan on having any more.

A broken hip is no fun. There have been a number of residents here who have broken hips from falls and they failed to be able to return to independent living. They ended up in rehab and never fully recovered. They never did learn to walk with a walker or other medical hardware. You don't want to end up in rehab.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #3492
Certified Pretend Chef

babetoo, I'm glad you're here to talk about it. Take care of yourself and let's hope the Dr. has a simple answer.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #3493
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Oh no! (((hugs)))

I hope the doctor finds something easy to take care of that caused it. Thank goodness you have the medi alert. Do you have to push a button? Do you talk to someone?
i wear it around my neck. push button, a human person comes on and asks what assistance i need. they stay on til the ambulance gets here. i have a door key hidden that they know about so fireman don't have to break down the door. then they call people i have listed to be notified. son was out in boons working, daughter couldn't leave her business. now the last to be called was my granddaughter zesty. she came right to the hospital and stayed with me, also a grandson came with her. he is an adult. so i got stapled, tested and they brought me home. pretty rocky for a while last night. but fine today, slight head ache shoulders and neck are sore. when i got home was phone call from the medi alert office to make sure all went well. i am so glad i got it.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #3494
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
A broken hip is no fun. There have been a number of residents here who have broken hips from falls and they failed to be able to return to independent living. They ended up in rehab and never fully recovered. They never did learn to walk with a walker or other medical hardware. You don't want to end up in rehab.
Hey now! I am "rehab" in a nursing home! I send a lot of people home! You are right though, a lot also do not go home, a broken hip isn't fun and no.. you do not want to go to rehab!

Glad you are ok babetoo, I was thinking about you!
Old 06-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #3495
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I am "Rehab" too...most of the others are not Ogres...

Please be careful, Babetoo! I miss you when you are not around. {{{{Babe}}}}
Old 06-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #3496
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo
taking it easy today. passed out in the bathroom, yesterday a.m. so off to the e.r. we went. three staples in the top of my head, lots of blood, lots of tests. they decided i must have gotten up to quickly. anyway, slight headache , sore neck and shoulders. at least this time when the ambulance got here i was dressed. each time before was naked. dr's appointment end of next week. to remove staples and discuss the causes if possible. kids all in an up roar over yet another fall. i am home and here is just where i am staying. my medi alert worked like a champ. worth every penny i pay for it.
Eeeks! {{{{{Babe!}}}}}
Old 06-17-2012, 12:58 AM   #3497
Sous Chef

I've got a lot of appreciation for rehab workers. Both of my parents have been in and out of rehab a couple of times with knee replacements in the last 5 years. Last July 19 Dad had his second replacement on his right knee. Things seemed to heal OK until he spiked a high fever the first of September. Turns out hehad resistant staph in that knee. They had to remove the replacement and put in spacers. After lots of antibiotics and a couple weeks in hospital he was moved to a rehab facility. When insurance ran out they stepped him up level of care & moved him to a different facility. He finally got the OK to get the knee back in & then spent 3 weeks in rehab post surgery. He came home right before Christmas. He still gets visiting therapists every week. He has to go for water therapy now. He's not getting strength back and is starting to lose in the other leg. Not being able to get out and do things on his own is driving him nuts. He's 85 yo & up to the infection he worked at a local food pantry 3 to 5 days a week. He was always out about doing things for people at church or for one of us kids. Fortunately my brother is retired & physically able to takeout parents (& both their wheelchairs ) wherever they need to go. I do a lot of shopping for them. We're all going to Ruby Tuesday's for Father's Day tomorrow. 9 people, 3 wheelchairs. It's going to be a tight fit. Lol
Old 06-17-2012, 01:05 AM   #3498
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindercat View Post
I've got a lot of appreciation for rehab workers. Both of my parents have been in and out of rehab a couple of times with knee replacements in the last 5 years. Last July 19 Dad had his second replacement on his right knee. Things seemed to heal OK until he spiked a high fever the first of September. Turns out hehad resistant staph in that knee. They had to remove the replacement and put in spacers. After lots of antibiotics and a couple weeks in hospital he was moved to a rehab facility. When insurance ran out they stepped him up level of care & moved him to a different facility. He finally got the OK to get the knee back in & then spent 3 weeks in rehab post surgery. He came home right before Christmas. He still gets visiting therapists every week. He has to go for water therapy now. He's not getting strength back and is starting to lose in the other leg. Not being able to get out and do things on his own is driving him nuts. He's 85 yo & up to the infection he worked at a local food pantry 3 to 5 days a week. He was always out about doing things for people at church or for one of us kids. Fortunately my brother is retired & physically able to takeout parents (& both their wheelchairs ) wherever they need to go. I do a lot of shopping for them. We're all going to Ruby Tuesday's for Father's Day tomorrow. 9 people, 3 wheelchairs. It's going to be a tight fit. Lol
Most of the time when we get patients it is because of an infection. Time to see if they will let him work at the food pantry from a wheelchair or using a walker. Give him some incentive to get back into it.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #3499
Executive Chef

Fatherīs Day 2012: Bruce Springsteen Concert Tonite

Buon Giorno,

Though we have been celebrating Fatherīs Day on March 19th for years, the Gals always send a special gift to us for the USA holiday ... Tonight we are going to Bruce Springsteenīs Concert, as he has always been one of our faves ... He is truly a cool performer and great dude ...

Happy Fatherīs Day.
Margi.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #3500
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Buon Giorno,

Though we have been celebrating Fatherīs Day on March 19th for years, the Gals always send a special gift to us for the USA holiday ... Tonight we are going to Bruce Springsteenīs Concert, as he has always been one of our faves ... He is truly a cool performer and great dude ...

Happy Fatherīs Day.
Margi.
Have a great time.

Yes, The Boss is a cool dude. I've been a fan of his since the late '70s