What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm confused - I thought that fruits and vegetables were good things to have, even with pre-diabetes. I understand the need to avoid starches, but why are fruits and carrots off your menu?
Sorry to confuse you GG. I have been diagnosed with 2 things. Prediabetes and a candida (yeast) allergy. I have to remove all things that have even natural sugar in them to help kill the candida and then I can start reintroducing the ones that won't promote diabetes. It is really complicated at the moment and I am very careful what I eat, but I do believe I am feeling better after only 2 weeks of the no yeast diet so that is encouraging!

Last edited:
I'm confused - I thought that fruits and vegetables were good things to have, even with pre-diabetes. I understand the need to avoid starches, but why are fruits and carrots off your menu?

A lot of fruits are very high in natural sugar. And even some vegetables. Carrots and peas are just two of the veggies. I love both veggies, but only take a small spoonful because of the sugar content. :angel:

Thank you Addie, but for me half the fun is designing the hat. Back in the '70s I crocheted and sold a lot of one-of-a-kind hats. (and other stuff)

I agree! I am having a blast designing newborn hats! This is my new passion since I have to stay away from the cake decorating at least for awhile. I even made a cupcake hat :LOL:

We have had a lovely dinner and some nice homemade garlic bread!

Then went off for our walk, that was good, brisk and felt like it was doing something for us ;)

Now relaxing with a cuppa and about to go and watch some UK Masterchef :)

A lot of fruits are very high in natural sugar. And even some vegetables. Carrots and peas are just two of the veggies.

Yes, I understand that. They are also very high in vitamins, minerals and fiber that everyone needs. It's just not a medical diet that I'm familiar with. The Diabetes Center which was part of the medical school where I used to work encourages a diet high in fruits, vegetables and whole grains, and low in simple carbohydrates for their patients.

I am mailing the Christmas package early this year to my son in Colorado so I can concentrate on the other 19 people I buy presents for and the 3 birthdays we have in December. My DIL sends a package to my grandson in Paris so I just put a card with money in it for him.

Catching up on things. Just had a bowl of soup and a cup of coffee and am contemplating a second cup. The world is still dark out there and I'm feeling like hibernating today. Alas, errands and work beckon.

Yes, I understand that. They are also very high in vitamins, minerals and fiber that everyone needs. It's just not a medical diet that I'm familiar with. The Diabetes Center which was part of the medical school where I used to work encourages a diet high in fruits, vegetables and whole grains, and low in simple carbohydrates for their patients.

Diabetics are encouraged to have fruits. But on a limited basis. They can't go out and buy six pears and wolf them down in one sitting. Some fruits and veggies have more natural sugar than others. So the diabetic patient has to pick and choose very carefully. :angel:

GG,
I am only very restricted for a short time until my body can rid itself of the candida and then I will start adding the healthier items like fruit back into my diet. I am on several natural supplements at the moment which give me the nutrients I am missing and help with the cleansing process. I totally understand your concern - but the the truth is, I am feeling better over all than I think I ever have in my life. I honestly think this has been my main health problem all along and has just been overlooked for other things.

I am playing on DC rather than working on my novel. **uhhhh ohhhhh**

i'm intrigued, what sort of book are you writing, sweets, and how long have you been at it? put me down for a copy when your book is ready, okay? now, get off the computer and get writing!!:)

i'm in big need of advice from someone in the know about teens today. here's the thing: i'm doing all my christmas shopping online this year. i'm stuck about a gift for my oldest grandson. he's 14, and wears a size 14 shoe. that's big. so, not a whole lot to choose from, usually. i found a really cool pair of sneakers in his size. they are skate sneakers. only thing is, my grandson is not a skateboarder per se. am i wrong to worry about committing a fashion faux pas here? is it forgivable in teen circles for a non-skater to be hanging out, chilling, in a pair of skateboarder camo vaiders? or would that be a gross misstep....

Last edited:
GG,
I am only very restricted for a short time until my body can rid itself of the candida and then I will start adding the healthier items like fruit back into my diet. I am on several natural supplements at the moment which give me the nutrients I am missing and help with the cleansing process. I totally understand your concern - but the the truth is, I am feeling better over all than I think I ever have in my life. I honestly think this has been my main health problem all along and has just been overlooked for other things.

I'm glad you're feeling better, Laurie. My sister was recently diagnosed with low thyroid; taking Synthroid has made all the difference in the world for her. Take care.

... am i wrong to worry about committing a fashion faux pas here? is it forgivable in teen circles for a non-skater to be hanging out, chilling, in a pair of skateboarder camo vaiders? or would that be a gross misstep....

Teen boy footwear is very personal based on what's cool in his group. I'd go with a Foot Locker (or other) gift card for whatever amount you want to spend. We adults are not qualified to choose teen footwear.

Teen boy footwear is very personal based on what's cool in his group. I'd go with a Foot Locker (or other) gift card for whatever amount you want to spend. We adults are not qualified to choose teen footwear.
LOL! That got quite a laugh out of me -- and I agree. I'd be afraid to go out on that limb myself!

i'm intrigued, what sort of book are you writing, sweets, and how long have you been at it? put me down for a copy when your book is ready, okay? now, get off the computer and get writing!!:)

i'm in big need of advice from someone in the know about teens today. here's the thing: i'm doing all my christmas shopping online this year. i'm stuck about a gift for my oldest grandson. he's 14, and wears a size 14 shoe. that's big. so, not a whole lot to choose from, usually. i found a really cool pair of sneakers in his size. they are skate sneakers. only thing is, my grandson is not a skateboarder per se. am i wrong to worry about committing a fashion faux pas here? is it forgivable in teen circles for a non-skater to be hanging out, chilling, in a pair of skateboarder camo vaiders? or would that be a gross misstep....

First, skater shoes are popular, no matter if you are a skater or not. Currently, loud colors are in. Though I do agree with gift cards.

My novel is fictional and covers global economic disaster. The main character, Audrey, is seperated from her husband during a violent riot. While searching for him she also searches for spirituality and inner peace.

I am snacking on a whole package of green tea mochi with my morning coffee at work.

Here, take a bite....:)

Attachments

• P1060910.JPG
    P1060910.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom