"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #3881
Master Chef

I was going to walk to the end of the street and see if I could see any fireworks they have going on out at the fairgrounds, but couldn't get past the front porch and the beautiful sunset this evening. So I took a few pics and just came in and uploaded a few. Better than fireworks.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #3882
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I was going to walk to the end of the street and see if I could see any fireworks they have going on out at the fairgrounds, but couldn't get past the front porch and the beautiful sunset this evening. So I took a few pics and just came in and uploaded a few. Better than fireworks.
Very nice, thanks for sharing.

I barely woke up during the Mall Fireworks show, but at about 12:30 there was a very loud one just outside that woke me for about an hour. Headed into work early so I can take Shrek to his appointment later this morning.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #3883
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindercat View Post
Thanks, Addie! It actually is my birthday today. I spent the day with my parents. Took them (& 2 wheelchairs & a walker) to see "Brave" then to Olive Garden for lunch. By the time we got home we were stuffed & ready for a nap. An evening of TV fireworks, a little reading, then I'll be off to bed. Hope everyone stayed cool today (warm for you, Kylie). :grin:
Happy Birthday Cindercat!!
Old 07-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #3884
Chef Extraordinaire

We had a 4th of july party at our house yesterday. We had it mostly outside & it was incredibly hot, 107F, but there was always a nice breeze once in awhile. Good food, good friends made to be a greatr afternoon. Drove down to fairgrounds to see the fireworks later.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #3885
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm trying to motivate myself into going out in this 95 degree heat and do some gardening and clean the pool.

dw went to a friend's house with the boy for the afternoon, so i have the rest of the day to myself. i could just realx, but it's july already and i've yet to get the cuke trellis built and the cuke seedlings in the ground, as well as get all of the herbs into the raised herb bed.

does work ever end?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #3886
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i'm trying to motivate myself into going out in this 95 degree heat and do some gardening and clean the pool.

dw went to a friend's house with the boy for the afternoon, so i have the rest of the day to myself. i could just realx, but it's july already and i've yet to get the cuke trellis built and the cuke seedlings in the ground, as well as get all of the herbs into the raised herb bed.

does work ever end?
A man's work is from sun to sun. A woman's work is never done.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #3887
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, you don't know my wife, addie. she's got banker's hours.

on a federal holiday.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #3888
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
it must be nice to be able to grow your own pineapple, tl. doesn't it take a pretty long time (or so i've heard)?
Yesterday I put the top inch of the fruit with the spikey crown into a pot of dirt, covered the fruit part with soil, so here goes -- that last one was just the top from a grocery-store pineapple and took several years. It's really not worth the effort, just the novelty of it. Dawgluver's mention (thank you, Dawg) of her friend in Mexico who grows them was encouraging.

I had a couple of coconut palms in my previous yard. They produced coconuts, which was also a novelty to me, but the effort to get the coconut out! I used a meat cleaver with a cement patio underneath - it's a wonder I didn't chop something off besides the coconut husk - to get at that $1.50 little nut.

I'm in the house cooling off after some yard work and hoping for a rain shower.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #3889
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
...I had a couple of coconut palms in my previous yard. They produced coconuts, which was also a novelty to me, but the effort to get the coconut out! I used a meat cleaver with a cement patio underneath - it's a wonder I didn't chop something off besides the coconut husk - to get at that $1.50 little nut...
In Aruba last winter, our grand kids gathered up a couple of coconuts. A worker doing some landscaping with a machete peeled back the outer husk and the inner nut so they could drink the coconut water. It was a big hit.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #3890
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

In Aruba last winter, our grand kids gathered up a couple of coconuts. A worker doing some landscaping with a machete peeled back the outer husk and the inner nut so they could drink the coconut water. It was a big hit.
I've seen pictures of those guys who brazenly hold the green coconut in one hand and whack the top of the coconut off with a machete. Crikey! Surely that's impossible when the husk is brown and toughened up.

I wonder if there is coconut meat inside at that "young" stage.