"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #3891
Chef Extraordinaire

oops, i think we have some quotation issues.

i've always been amazed at the guys in tropical climes that open a coconut on a simple metal spike stuck in the ground. they impale it on the spike, twist, do it again, twist, and the husk peels away. easy peasy.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #3892
Sous Chef

Owwwww! Sciatica is killing me! Woke up with severe pain in the middle of the night. Can't find a comfortable position laying down. Sitting intensifies the pain & adds a touch of nausea. Walking or bending over the sink helps with the pain a little so I've been doing that occasionally. Ibuprofen, Biofreeze, ice pack, pelvic exercises, 2 sessions with my Tens unit - none gave any significant relief. I finally remembered I had some Ultracet. That took the edge off but not enough that I can function. Simon the cat tries to make me feel better by smuggling up to me but I can't stay still very long. As I'm writing I felt a disk move a few minutes ago & the pain is letting up a bit. I still have to come up with an excuse not to go to Mom & Dad's for our Thursday night movie. I don't want them to know I hurt today because they'll feel guilty about me lugging the wheelchairs yesterday. I'll take some more Ultracet in an hour & maybe I'll be able to sleep & come up with an excuse later.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #3893
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I've seen pictures of those guys who brazenly hold the green coconut in one hand and whack the top of the coconut off with a machete. Crikey! Surely that's impossible when the husk is brown and toughened up.

I wonder if there is coconut meat inside at that "young" stage.
The 'hairy' hard brown shell is inside the light green outer husk with fiberous material between.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #3894
Head Chef

Nice graphics. Thanks, Andy M. The coconuts I had to work with were the ones that fell from the trees -- no way am I gonna shinny up a palm tree -- and had really tough brown outer husks. And the little hairy nut that was the prize was usually cracked by the time I got the husk off and all the water leaked onto the cement. The meat was good, but I shoulda left it to the pros.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #3895
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have been led to believe that people in places that grow coconuts call the hard white meat copra and don't eat that - it's dried up coconut meat. The fresh coconut meat is soft and can be scooped out of the shell with a spoon.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #3896
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindercat View Post
Owwwww! Sciatica is killing me! Woke up with severe pain in the middle of the night. Can't find a comfortable position laying down. Sitting intensifies the pain & adds a touch of nausea. Walking or bending over the sink helps with the pain a little so I've been doing that occasionally.
Cindercat, I know exactly how you feel. I get Sciatica on both sides (thankfully never both at once). I still think that the pain I have now is sciatica but the doctors say no...they just don't know what it is. But I have all the same symptoms you mentioned and that I have previously had.

Take care, and I am sure your parents will understand if you just tell them you are a bit tired and sore. I will be thinking of you!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #3897
Chef Extraordinaire

few chores, did my nails, now i am going to take a shower and call it a day. dinner is in the crock pot. all is well, if a bit boring/
Old 07-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #3898
Chef Extraordinaire

ok, got the herbs done.

i now have rosemary, sage, pineapple sage, italian flat leaf parsley, english thyme, lemon thyme, greek oregano, garlc chives, and sweet basil.

the cukes will have to wait. i'm tired. time to rinse ofc the dirt and pass out in the pool.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #3899
Chef Extraordinaire

Picked up a beef roast at the grocery store, put it on the grill to sear it off, put a few baked potatoes in with some corn on the cob. Picked up a srawberry/ruhbarb pie with some lemon/berry sherbet for dessert. The neighbors lost their AC this week so plans to invite them over too.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #3900
Chef Extraordinaire

Not a good night last night

At about 9pm Steve started getting those really bad pains in his stomach again. After a couple of hours of walking around the house, we propped up on the recliners with a quilt, tried everything but his pain got worse, so off we went to the hospital again

We got there at about 12.30am and luckily only had to wait about 30 minutes as Steve was in really bad pain, I felt so bad for him

They were doing all these tests and they gave him 2 shots of Morphine to try to settle the pain.

The doctor and the nurse both said he should of had this looked at since he has had it happen so many times, I did tell them I tried to get Steve to go and have an endoscopy.

This time, we will be finding out exactly what is wrong!

The nurse said he will be at the hospital all night so I left the hospital at about 2.30am this morning.

I did not go until I could see the morphine working and he was drifting in and out of sleep.

I came home and managed to get about 2.5 hours sleep. I then went back this morning and stayed there for about 1.5 hours but have come home again.

Steve is drifting in and out of sleep and I was just basically sitting there in the dark falling asleep on the chair, so we thought it best I come home and wait for a phone call.

I just had to see him again first thing this morning.

They gave him more morphine overnight and his pain has gone from a 9 to a 3 out of 10 Steve says. He is still feeling pain and discomfort and they have offered him more morphine when I was there this morning but he preferred not to take it as it makes him feel really numb and awful.

He has had some urine tests, some blood tests and he has been fasting.

When I got there this morning, he was still waiting on an ultrasound.

At least this time they will hopefully get to the bottom of this and work out what the problem is. They are at least doing x rays and ultrasounds this time, which is great! It is free too since it is a public hospital

The doctor has said it could be anything, even could be gallstones or an ulcer, of which I told Steve ages ago, could be the issue

I feel like a zombie, dying for some sleep