"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #3901
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh Sweetie, how awful! Hoping for some relief, good news, and sleep for you!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #3902
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh Sweetie, how awful! Hoping for some relief, good news, and sleep for you!
What she said.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #3903
Chef Extraordinaire

and one more.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #3904
Master Chef

Oh no, Kylie.....thoughts and prayers going out for you both. Be sure to keep us informed when you're able. Hugs to you.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #3905
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
it must be nice to be able to grow your own pineapple, tl. doesn't it take a pretty long time (or so i've heard)?

Yesterday I put the top inch of the fruit with the spikey crown into a pot of dirt, covered the fruit part with soil, so here goes -- that last one was just the top from a grocery-store pineapple and took several years. It's really not worth the effort, just the novelty of it. Dawgluver's mention (thank you, Dawg) of her friend in Mexico who grows them was encouraging.

I had a couple of coconut palms in my previous yard. They produced coconuts, which was also a novelty to me, but the effort to get the coconut out! I used a meat cleaver with a cement patio underneath - it's a wonder I didn't chop something off besides the coconut husk - to get at that $1.50 little nut.

I'm in the house cooling off after some yard work and hoping for a rain shower.
For coconuts, I use a large clean nail and hammer to pierce a couple of holes in the top, pour off the milk (to drink) and use the hammer to gently (!) crack the shell so I can get the meat out.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #3906
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Not a good night last night

At about 9pm Steve started getting those really bad pains in his stomach again. After a couple of hours of walking around the house, we propped up on the recliners with a quilt, tried everything but his pain got worse, so off we went to the hospital again

We got there at about 12.30am and luckily only had to wait about 30 minutes as Steve was in really bad pain, I felt so bad for him

They were doing all these tests and they gave him 2 shots of Morphine to try to settle the pain.

The doctor and the nurse both said he should of had this looked at since he has had it happen so many times, I did tell them I tried to get Steve to go and have an endoscopy.

This time, we will be finding out exactly what is wrong!

The nurse said he will be at the hospital all night so I left the hospital at about 2.30am this morning.

I did not go until I could see the morphine working and he was drifting in and out of sleep.

I came home and managed to get about 2.5 hours sleep. I then went back this morning and stayed there for about 1.5 hours but have come home again.

Steve is drifting in and out of sleep and I was just basically sitting there in the dark falling asleep on the chair, so we thought it best I come home and wait for a phone call.

I just had to see him again first thing this morning.

They gave him more morphine overnight and his pain has gone from a 9 to a 3 out of 10 Steve says. He is still feeling pain and discomfort and they have offered him more morphine when I was there this morning but he preferred not to take it as it makes him feel really numb and awful.

He has had some urine tests, some blood tests and he has been fasting.

When I got there this morning, he was still waiting on an ultrasound.

At least this time they will hopefully get to the bottom of this and work out what the problem is. They are at least doing x rays and ultrasounds this time, which is great! It is free too since it is a public hospital

The doctor has said it could be anything, even could be gallstones or an ulcer, of which I told Steve ages ago, could be the issue

I feel like a zombie, dying for some sleep
Hope & pray the doctors can get to the bottom of steve's issues. Just remember to take care of yourself too. Do not run yourself down as it will begin to compromise your health. Take care!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #3907
Certified Pretend Chef

Kylie, I'm glad you got him to the hospital. They'll take good care of him.

Make sure you take care of yourself as well. You need your strength.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #3908
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you so much for your lovely words and thoughts guys

I went and collected Steve from the hospital at about 11am. I called the hospital and they let me talk to Steve, he told me I could come at about 11am

Steve has to have his gall bladder removed

The ultrasound revealed that he has heaps of gallstones in his gall bladder so the doctor thought it best and easier to remove the whole thing

We have to cut out on a lot of fried or deep fried foods too...which doesn't bother me as we never used to deep fry foods till we bought our deep fryer....so back to oven chips for us

We stopped off at the chemist and I got some tablets that the doctor suggested Steve have if he gets the pain again before his operation, which will be day surgery we think, it is Outpatient.

The hospital will be phoning us with a day and date.

So Steve is home now and we are just relaxing and having some lunch, then I think a little nap for the both of us later

Thanks again everyone
Old 07-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #3909
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh, Kylie, you just knew it was something like that! Thankful that Steve got the right diagnosis, you get him back, and the pain will soon be gone. Please keep us posted!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #3910
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you DL

Yes we are so pleased that we now know what it is as he had these pains about 4 or 5 times in just over a year, I knew something wasn't right

Steve will have to take a week off work apparently after the operation to recover, I will have to be Nurse Kylie