What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm back home from my visit to the Red Cross Bloodmobile truck parked at the library. All was well until I got to the question about having gotten an inoculation with the past 4 weeks. Well, I had a shingles shot back in December. After phoning the pharmacy where I got the shot to get the precise date, the tech said I was one day short of being eligible to give. Darn. But they'll be back in a couple of months and I'll try again. Their eyes lit up when they heard I'm O negative and we were all pretty disappointed at the outcome.

I'm back home from my visit to the Red Cross Bloodmobile truck parked at the library. All was well until I got to the question about having gotten an inoculation with the past 4 weeks. Well, I had a shingles shot back in December. After phoning the pharmacy where I got the shot to get the precise date, the tech said I was one day short of being eligible to give. Darn. But they'll be back in a couple of months and I'll try again. Their eyes lit up when they heard I'm O negative and we were all pretty disappointed at the outcome.

I totally understand, Lizzie. I started giving blood the day after I turned 17 (the age in Saskatchewan you could start). I too am 0 Negative and when I was working in downtown Vancouver I was set up as an emergency donor. If they needed blood for a certain patient I would be called and I had a letter that I could give my boss to leave work for it - not that I needed it, my boss was a real softy! Anyway, I was very proud of this fact and helped many people that way. Then I found out I had a condition that I needed medication for that permanently stopped me from being a viable donor. Both the Red Cross and I were pretty sad at that news. I had really gotten to know the people at the blood centre and they appreciated my loyalty. Here's hoping all is well for your next time! :)

I totally understand, Lizzie. I started giving blood the day after I turned 17 (the age in Saskatchewan you could start). I too am 0 Negative and when I was working in downtown Vancouver I was set up as an emergency donor. If they needed blood for a certain patient I would be called and I had a letter that I could give my boss to leave work for it - not that I needed it, my boss was a real softy! Anyway, I was very proud of this fact and helped many people that way. Then I found out I had a condition that I needed medication for that permanently stopped me from being a viable donor. Both the Red Cross and I were pretty sad at that news. I had really gotten to know the people at the blood centre and they appreciated my loyalty. Here's hoping all is well for your next time! :)

I'm not the slightest bit surprised to hear this about you, LP. So many unsung angels out there.

I gave way back in my young adulthood, but after a bad experience just began to neglect it. My donation last July was my first in many years. I told the folks there that it was motivated by/in honor of my son, who donated many, many times before a bout of chemotherapy put an end to it.

Anyone who is hesitant about donating -- don't be. Those are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. And besides, they give out juice and cookies and this time I missed out on a free T-shirt.

i always knew you two girls were special--rare standouts in the midst of all those cornflakes crowds.:)
:blush:

My Dad gave almost 80 pints of blood in his lifetime and I remember in those last couple of years when he was needing transfusions himself thinking how grateful I was that people had donated so he could get better. He said to me when he was receiving his first one that he had just given because it felt good and to now see it from the other side made it all the more meaningful.

I totally understand, Lizzie. I started giving blood the day after I turned 17

you've been giving blood for 12 years!?!???? :cool::)

that reminds me of the joke about how my mother decided to start exercising, walkng 5 miles a day every day since she turned 75.

we have no idea where she is and have been out looking for her ever since...

anywhooo, congrats to both of you ladies. lp, your blood is about the only negative thing about you, and tl, anyone would consider themselves lucky to be infused with a bit of you. :)

Whoa, back off, nice people. All the plus marks go in LP's column. I only showed up at the right place -- no cigar for that. But thanks. ;)

I can't donate. I have perfectly round blood cells. That means they can't go around corners as it is flowing. The blood cells have an excellent chance of creating a clot in the recipient. No wonder most of my arteries are half closed. I have stents all over the place. The last time I went into the Cath lab, they told me that there is no more they can do for me. :angel:

Whoa, back off, nice people. All the plus marks go in LP's column. I only showed up at the right place -- no cigar for that. But thanks. ;)
Hey, I say you are the one that deserve the cudo's! I just commented on how I understood your disappointment at not being able to give more. I am just a little old (okay in my mid 29's eh Bucky? ;)) Canuck who does what she can.

My Dad gave almost 80 pints of blood in his lifetime and I remember in those last couple of years when he was needing transfusions himself thinking how grateful I was that people had donated so he could get better. He said to me when he was receiving his first one that he had just given because it felt good and to now see it from the other side made it all the more meaningful.
Oops, that was supposed to read almost 180 pints - 4 times a year over a period of about 50 years (he missed a few). Now there is a person who deserves the cudos! :)

Hey, I say you are the one that deserve the cudo's! I just commented on how I understood your disappointment at not being able to give more. I am just a little old (okay in my mid 29's eh Bucky? ;)) Canuck who does what she can.

And as for you, Whippersnapper. Put that halo back on your head!

Um, I think it is time to change the subject! :angel:

I am battling a bit of a migraine. I had a bad headache yesterday but thought it was just from being in the dentist chair so long but this is definitely a migraine. I am going to lay down with a warm cloth, turn out the lights and hope the dogs don't bark for a few hours. There is nothing I can take because all the migraine medications contain things that trigger my migraines :wacko:.

doing wash, ready to bake something for my driver . got way laid going through recipes.

got cleaning ladies lined up. made more drs. appointments.taking a coffee break for slight head ache .

I just got two emails from Netflix telling me they received my DVD's I mailed out yesterday and tomorrow I should receive the next two in my queue... the first 2/3 of Downton Abbey season 2 :clap:

I should really get off from the computor & go figure out what to make for supper & go get some exercise in today.

doing wash, ready to bake something for my driver . got way laid going through recipes.

got cleaning ladies lined up. made more drs. appointments.taking a coffee break for slight head ache .

Sounds like you are in better spirits. Keep it up. that is how we like to hear you. :angel:

Hi guys :)

I have had a busy day!

This morning I was out in the front garden for about 2 hours trimming back neighbours overcrowding and overhanging plants, creepers and shrubs etc, doing a general tidy up...very satisfying once all done :)

I have also been out to the shops getting some bits and pieces and am now home and ready for a nice coffee, will sit out in the garden as it is such a lovely day here today :)

I bit the bullet. I can't reach the back of my kitchen sink. Too short. For the past five years I have been standing on tip toe and strainiing to wipe down the backsplash. So today I got my little stool with the handle in the middle of it and started at one end of the counter and worked my way up to the other end. I didn't realize just how dirty it was until I took a look at the cloth. I now know that it is going on the do more often list.

Maintenance stopped by today and changed the light bulb and cleaned out all the crud that was in the bathroom light/exhaust fan. It had never been cleaned in more than ten years. We then took a look at my walls. The walls are in good shape. I am not one to damage property that doesn't belong to me. So no repairs are needed. But they do need to be painted. I grabbed the cleaning cloth and quickly wiped an area that was dirty. Louie was surprised at how easy the dirt came off. So it has been decided to have a company come in and wash the walls instead of painting them. To paint them would mean that I would have to spend a few nights with one of my kids. Something I am very hesitant to do. I like the comfort of my own home. For the life of me I have no idea how they are going to clean my little room. The ceiling is two stories high. They are going to need an extension ladder or some scaffolding. My next concern is the floor. I need to have the rug replaced. But with what? :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom